PDA

View Full Version : Summer sucks for crunching

Dorsilfin
05-31-11, 08:53 AM
I've had to turn down the crunching... running an AC all day for 1 room to crunch safely.. Meh having a real hard time justifying it.. considering im gone all day at work.. it seems superwasteful to crunch and create all the heat for me to just AC that room lol..

At least in winter its helping heat the house lol..

all i can say is its 85 degrees in my crunching room with the AC off.. >< yuck it heats the whole house too..

going to probably run at a reduced rac for the summer I think..

how do you guys manage your heat in the summer?

Mike029
05-31-11, 09:08 AM
I shut it down on really hot days that I'm not home. I won't leave the AC on for a computer. Well, not often anyways. :-o

Crazybob's Son
05-31-11, 10:01 AM
I have my office in my basement so even if I have the rest of the house at 76-80 degrees the office never gets over 71.

Beerdrinker
05-31-11, 10:07 AM
Itīs never a problem when living in Denmark...On very hot summerday we are lucky to hit 25-28*C...The average summerday in Denmark is more like 23-26*C

Shadow
05-31-11, 10:16 AM
I just put my latest build in the basement, it absolutely loves the nice cool air down there.

c303a
05-31-11, 10:37 AM
Down in the lower level of the house. Always nice and cool.

Dorsilfin
05-31-11, 11:38 AM
Maybe, ill have to finish part of the basement and create an area for the computer/office stuff.

knowing my luck, it will rain for a month and ill be swimming around with my computers in the basement lol

Crazybob's Son
05-31-11, 11:41 AM
Maybe, ill have to finish part of the basement and create an area for the computer/office stuff.

knowing my luck, it will rain for a month and ill be swimming around with my computers in the basement lol

You would obviously want to put them all raised off of the ground to give you some lead time should your sump go bad (not listening to this advice myself at the moment but planning on raising them off the ground).

DrPop
05-31-11, 12:09 PM
I just don't use the back room at the office now, I just shut the door and let 'er heat up back there. :D heh...can't be real good for the rigs to live in the heat, but it's just what has to be right now. They aren't complaining too much yet. :p

Maxwell
05-31-11, 12:48 PM
I miss living where 90F was a "heat wave" and not nearly every damn day...

Fire$torm
05-31-11, 01:30 PM
I just live with the heat. No basements in my neighborhood due to the high water table. So I have spread out my boxes a bit. One system is in the front room behind my Uncle's late 80's (as in circa) big screen. When the new build is finished it will go in the garage with the AMD box. My desktop, 7 of 9 and both lappies are in my room with temps at night rising to about 85~88F.

In late June I am planning on adding another feed from the central air as well as a return. My room doesn't have a return now because of the fireplace. It's against code to add one until I block off the chimney flue. Ack!

joker
05-31-11, 05:04 PM
I just leave the AC on 24/7. Even with that my electric bill does not go over $120 a month. It is worth it to be comfortable.

Crazybob's Son
05-31-11, 05:09 PM
I just leave the AC on 24/7. Even with that my electric bill does not go over $120 a month. It is worth it to be comfortable.

Where the hell do you live? With my AC on maybe 1 or 2 days in a month my electric bill was $160 last month.... (Although I do have 9 computers on 24/7 - 2 of which are my wife's desktop and netbook) as well as then my work laptop on all day Tuesday and Friday when working at home.

Edit: July/August last year where temp was around 90+ degrees every day we had the air on 24/7 and the bill ended up over $300

joker
05-31-11, 05:30 PM
Where the hell do you live?

Washington State. I am only running 3 rigs (all have 80% or better PSU's) and my AC unit is just a little 11,600 BTU window unit. Other factors. I live by myself, dont own a tv and dont use lights hardly at all.

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-11, 07:41 PM
Very hot my bedroom. But I dont care.

http://www.fulldhamaal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/brooke-burke-pictures7.jpg

Sacrificed Duke

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-11, 07:47 PM
I tried another room and

http://www.fulldhamaal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/brooke-burke-pictures13.jpg

More Sacifices Duke

Maxwell
05-31-11, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qN6TCY85c

Fire$torm
05-31-11, 07:56 PM
I'm moving in with Duke......

joker
05-31-11, 08:00 PM
I'm moving in with Duke......

You and DB can have the second bedroom. I'll take the first one!! :cool:

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-11, 08:05 PM
I will take the living room

http://www.fulldhamaal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/brooke-burke-pictures5.jpg

Waitting for you Duke

joker
05-31-11, 08:21 PM
Looking to do some Bucking on Brooke are ya DB? >:)>:) Maybe we should change the name of this thread from Summer sucks for crunching to "summer sucks for crunching but it is great for hot chicks in very little clothing!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UaLWp72nij4/S7RXHb2VpgI/AAAAAAAAF3k/nYd5URvBkVw/s1600/brooke-burke.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-11, 08:28 PM
Yes, That was the idea. This is a very hot video perhaps one of the bests I ever made. Damn is hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucsIGmHJ3c

Duke best video

joker
05-31-11, 08:40 PM
Co*& Blocked!!

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-11, 08:53 PM
Yes Zooland_Music is disputing. I have a special permission bu is no good for now. Sorry

Sorry Duke.

Try this if you want http://youtubeunblocker.co.uk/

zombie67
06-01-11, 01:56 AM

One machine alone can cost that much here. The golden state ninja assassin is on the way to your state now. All your power are belong to us.

joker
06-01-11, 04:00 AM
One machine alone can cost that much here. The golden state ninja assassin is on the way to your state now. All your power are belong to us.

My energy light side (http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGro up&pgw_code=LB#specs) Jedi are ready for you!

YoDude9999
06-01-11, 10:28 AM
My remedy is simple.

Step 1. Leave the windows open. Leave the crunchers crunching. They will handle it or shut down if not.

Step 2. Get on motorcycle and go enjoy the days whilst they are good enough for riding.

Step 3. Stop at beach plastered with half nekid women.

Step 4. Enjoy the day!

Yo-

c303a
06-01-11, 11:01 AM
Yo, you forgot the most important thing of the day...Have a beer. Just ask Beerdrinker.:D:D:D

Beerdrinker
06-01-11, 11:40 AM
My remedy is simple.

Step 1. Leave the windows open. Leave the crunchers crunching. They will handle it or shut down if not.

Step 2. Get on motorcycle and go enjoy the days whilst they are good enough for riding.

Step 4. Enjoy the day!

Yo-

Nope...Itīs more like this:

1. Open window.
2. Take a beer :)
3. If itīs to hot and the crunchers turn off and you cannot afford the AC, tell the kids to turn OFF that friggin TV!! Take to much juice!!
4. Take a beer :) :)
5. Still to hot? Ask wife to start stripping..
6. Beeeerrrr.......ahhhh :):):)
7. Crunches way to hot??? Let īem rip!!
8. Crunchers died??? You needed that upgrade anyway...
9. Lotīs off beers...You need them for step 10 where you need courage.
10. Break out the card and order from favourite shop!! :cool:

Cruncher Pete
06-01-11, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=YoDude9999;17247]My remedy is simple.

Step 4. Enjoy the day!

Sorry Yo. I do not think that number one will help much . However, I heartily agree with three in particular and by following that advise number four is certain to follow.:)

trigggl
06-05-11, 08:19 PM
It's starting to get into the upper 90's in Arkansas. Opening the window would be counter productive.

joker
06-05-11, 08:20 PM
Keep that AC running Trigggl! :D

Dandasarge
06-07-11, 10:53 AM
Put the computers outside!

Bryan
06-07-11, 01:40 PM
I think I have it figured out ... add more computers/GPUs so you can drop the clocks on the existing rigs and then you can get the same credits/day :D

Duke of Buckingham
06-07-11, 01:56 PM

http://www.funnyden.com/funnypics/526/electronic22.gif

Fire$torm
06-07-11, 02:18 PM

http://www.funnyden.com/funnypics/526/electronic22.gif

Now that is a person who is completely addicted to computers. A true nerd. :D

Dandasarge
06-07-11, 04:03 PM
I was thinking more of in an enclosed rac. but sure i'll be a homeless guy with a computer any day. V's one without of course.

Mike029
06-07-11, 09:39 PM
I'll say it again, Duke comes up with the best pictures. :)

Duke of Buckingham
06-07-11, 10:36 PM
I'll say it again, Duke comes up with the best pictures. :)

Someone Called me?

http://www.funnyjunkz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/funny-cat-picture-cat-king.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
06-07-11, 10:39 PM
No its me the Duck

http://pipocaglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/funny-duck_12551_600x450.jpg

valyn42
06-18-11, 11:35 PM
This past week in Oklahoma has been a bit on the warm side, and today was the last straw. 104 in the shade, heat index of 110. The room I'm in right now has 2 crunchers with a 3rd on the way from Newegg. House was 76, my room peaked at 87. The room never got really cool before(furthest run from the central ac and two outside walls and windows). Had to go to the Depot and get a window unit. It's nice and cool in here now, but we'll see what happens with the electric bill!X_X

bro-david
06-19-11, 12:53 AM
This past week in Oklahoma has been a bit on the warm side, and today was the last straw. 104 in the shade, heat index of 110. The room I'm in right now has 2 crunchers with a 3rd on the way from Newegg. House was 76, my room peaked at 87. The room never got really cool before(furthest run from the central ac and two outside walls and windows). Had to go to the Depot and get a window unit. It's nice and cool in here now, but we'll see what happens with the electric bill!X_X

Well we are over 100 here in this part of Louisiana. No rain. Losing all the crops. Farmers hurting.
I have a desktop crunching, but found a neat way of also using the laptop to crunch. We have window units A/C in this rural house. I have the laptop on a desk in front of my study window unit. The A/C will be running anyway. So I blocked the laptop 2― inches high (careful not to block fan intake vents underneath with the blocks.) With the laptop lid lifted up at angle, it is perfect to channel the cold airflow right under and through the computer. Walla! Crunch away. I do not process units on battery power, but do with the AC connection. Now I still do not process with the laptop 24/7 as I do with the desktop, but it really helps me gobble WUs.

PS: If you can believe it, this ole' 73 yr. old geezer actually painted the tin roof last week by myself with a 4" brush and the temp was over 100 up there. Looks good in the 1938 house and next week I start doing the exterior walls of the house. My electric bill this whole year with only five window A/C units is LESS than it was last two years in our former home that had central A/C. Same Electric Co. I think it is because I can avoid cooling unused rooms when I want to with window units.

Maxwell
06-19-11, 12:56 AM
Hehe... My MegaBox was keeping my office quite hot despite having central air. I put an old oscillating fan on the ground outside the office blowing cold air from the living room in, and the temp dropped a good 6-8F.

joker
06-19-11, 01:28 AM
Did not have my AC on and it got to over 90 degrees F in my computer room. Video cards all "underclocked" themselves. :mad: AC on full time now!!!

valyn42
06-19-11, 01:29 AM
Well we are over 100 here in this part of Louisiana. No rain. Losing all the crops. Farmers hurting.
I have a desktop crunching, but found a neat way of also using the laptop to crunch. We have window units A/C in this rural house. I have the laptop on a desk in front of my study window unit. The A/C will be running anyway. So I blocked the laptop 2― inches high (careful not to block fan intake vents underneath with the blocks.) With the laptop lid lifted up at angle, it is perfect to channel the cold airflow right under and through the computer. Walla! Crunch away. I do not process units on battery power, but do with the AC connection. Now I still do not process with the laptop 24/7 as I do with the desktop, but it really helps me gobble WUs.

PS: If you can believe it, this ole' 73 yr. old geezer actually painted the tin roof last week by myself with a 4" brush and the temp was over 100 up there. Looks good in the 1938 house and next week I start doing the exterior walls of the house. My electric bill this whole year with only five window A/C units is LESS than it was last two years in our former home that had central A/C. Same Electric Co. I think it is because I can avoid cooling unused rooms when I want to with window units.

I agree with you, the window units can be much more efficient when used properly. Turning on the central a/c to cool one room with two people and a television in it is not the best use of power! Now I can believe a 73 yr. ole geezer would get up on a hot tin roof to paint it, and since you are here posting about it, you must have taken care to keep yourself full of fluids!

bro-david
06-19-11, 07:46 PM
I agree with you, the window units can be much more efficient when used properly. Turning on the central a/c to cool one room with two people and a television in it is not the best use of power! [COLOR="#B22222"]Now I can believe a 73 yr. ole geezer would get up on a hot tin roof to paint it, and since you are here posting about it, you must have taken care to keep yourself full of fluids!

When I came down from the hot tin roof, my wife said I was full of a certain physiological fluid!

I start on the exterior walls tomorrow. No chance of rain till maybe Weds.-Thurs. My farmers here are really hurting. But I just remember Arizona and Joplin.

Duke of Buckingham
06-19-11, 08:34 PM
Some Doors are like Riders On a Storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbPUzhWeeI

Fire$torm
06-19-11, 08:40 PM
Ack... Painting a roof is far from my idea of fun. :P

On a another note, I have had to shut down Seven-Of-Nine until I can work on the A/C venting in my room. Also had to move Thor to a different room. Had to do this because the morning after Michigan's first really warm day, I woke up to a room that had hit 91F. The combination of a 8800GT & 5830 in my desktop puts out way more heat then the 3 4850s did.

Bryan
06-20-11, 01:28 AM
And then there is the IDIOT who has been very happy because it is getting into the low 50s during the night. So open the window in the basement computer room, put a fan blowing out the door down the hallway, and run the GPU clocks on up. This morning I happened to notice the rest of the basement (where 3 other crunchers are located) was rather warm. It finally dawned on me that the cold air going down the hall (where the thermostat is located) was turning on the heat !!! DUH!

Maxwell
06-20-11, 01:44 AM
It finally dawned on me that the cold air going down the hall (where the thermostat is located) was turning on the heat !!! DUH!
Clearly, you can't be trusted with a real place. I'll swap you my place, where there are "heat," "cool," or "off" options, for your place in Texas. That's fair, isn't it? :cool::p

Clank [MM]
06-20-11, 02:13 AM
I was running 8 rigs in 1 bedroom, AC was having trouble in the summer. Hot days were difficult. Moved all to the basement and was amazed that the basement did not heat up. Video cards are running better, machines are very stable. Now the only problem is how many projects are down in the summer.

YoDude9999
06-20-11, 02:19 AM
The answer is quite easy...All the projects that are down in the Summer, are all the projects that you're not running! Simple as that!