PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Sic is backing off...

Beerdrinker
06-07-11, 02:44 PM
So NOW is the time to get in gear!!

If Moo is in fact closing sometime soon, this could be a permanent #1 :cool:

http://boincstats.com/stats/team_stats.php?pr=moowrapper&st=0

We closed the gap with around 3.4 Mill yesterday...

Fire$torm
06-07-11, 03:35 PM
Hopefully I should be adding a 5830 to Moo in about a week. Waiting on some small replacement parts for the card.

dan
06-07-11, 05:43 PM
Dang! I just made my 10 Mil on Moo and had switched back to DNet, now I gotta go back to Moo.

Dandasarge
06-08-11, 09:12 AM
Did Moo ever fix their muti GPU issues?

zombie67
06-08-11, 09:42 AM
I am running one machine with dual 5870s. With the core manually set to 3, it has been very stable for me.

Maxwell
06-08-11, 10:33 AM
I am running one machine with dual 5870s. With the core manually set to 3, it has been very stable for me.
I'm running dual 5970s, core manually set to 3, CCC 10.10. Once a week, I get the odd WU that never finishes, but I'm getting 1.2M/day on this box.

Oh, and I dedicated a full core to Moo.

zombie67
06-08-11, 08:02 PM

Yep, me too.

Mike029
06-08-11, 09:16 PM
I'm running dual 5970s, core manually set to 3, CCC 10.10. Once a week, I get the odd WU that never finishes, but I'm getting 1.2M/day on this box.

How do i know which core to dedicate and will moo know to use it?

zombie67
06-08-11, 09:24 PM

How do i know which core to dedicate and will moo know to use it?

The easy way is to set BOINC to use N-1 in the preferences. You don't need to define which particular core. Maxwell has a much more intricate way, that you may like.

Mike029
06-08-11, 09:45 PM
The easy way is to set BOINC to use N-1 in the preferences. You don't need to define which particular core. Maxwell has a much more intricate way, that you may like.

Where would I change the settings in Boinc to N-1? Do I need to create an xml file? Would that apply to all my boinc programs? Lastly, would you have a ready made example i could copy and paste?

Thanks.

zombie67
06-08-11, 09:55 PM
Where would I change the settings in Boinc to N-1? Do I need to create an xml file? Would that apply to all my boinc programs? Lastly, would you have a ready made example i could copy and paste?

Thanks.

N = the number of cores (not threads!) you have. So on a quad core, that works out to 4-1=3. So go into BOINCmgr, Advanced -> Preferences. At the bottom of the first tab, change it to 75% of the processors. On an 8 core machine, like a dual quad core xeon, set it to 87.5%.

Mike029
06-08-11, 10:08 PM
N = the number of cores (not threads!) you have. So on a quad core, that works out to 4-1=3. So go into BOINCmgr, Advanced -> Preferences. At the bottom of the first tab, change it to 75% of the processors. On an 8 core machine, like a dual quad core xeon, set it to 87.5%.

Ahh, got it. Done. On my Sandybridge 2600k with ht, I have it set to use 7 cores for more free Hal. but could adjust it if need be.

zombie67
06-08-11, 10:50 PM
Ahh, got it. Done. On my Sandybridge 2600k with ht, I have it set to use 7 cores for more free Hal. but could adjust it if need be.

Check your GPU and CPU usage (GPU-Z and CPU-Z), with 7 threads vs 6 threads. Keep reducing threads until there is some idle CPU space, and then crank it back up one. Make sure your GPU load is maxed.

Maxwell
06-08-11, 11:47 PM
Check your GPU and CPU usage (GPU-Z and CPU-Z), with 7 threads vs 6 threads. Keep reducing threads until there is some idle CPU space, and then crank it back up one. Make sure your GPU load is maxed.
Or a slightly different tactic - I know you're familiar with Afterburner... I'm currently using that to monitor temps and load. Not using it for overclocking, but I like being able to see all graphs at once...

But yeah. Once I left a core for Moo, load on the GPUs shot up to 97%+ on all of them...

Bryan
06-09-11, 12:04 AM
On an I7 (even a Sandy Bridge) you may need to leave a full CORE not thread if you are running dual 5870s. On my machine with a 5970 and GTX 570 it takes 26% of the processor. A FULL CORE so even with a V8 you need to set use 75% of processors.

As Maxwell says, the object is for the GPU to be at 97% load full time ... anything less and you are losing credits that the CPU crunching can't touch!

I actually do it another way. Install the program ProLasso (Process Lasso) and using that you can set priority and affinity for all processes. I setup threads 6 and 7 for the Moo GPU programs (dnetcxxxxxx) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for any CPU tasks I set them for threads 0-6 with normal priority. On the 5970/GTX 570 I do the above but I set the primegrid wu to threads 0-6 with HIGH priority.

The benefit to totally isolating the GPU core is that the GPU doesn't have to interrupt a lower priority CPU task to get serviced. Even this minor delay causes a loss of GPU processing.

Maxwell
06-09-11, 12:11 AM
On an I7 (even a Sandy Bridge) you may need to leave a full CORE not thread if you are running dual 5870s. On my machine with a 5970 and GTX 570 it takes 26% of the processor. A FULL CORE so even with a V8 you need to set use 75% of processors.

As Maxwell says, the object is for the GPU to be at 97% load full time ... anything less and you are losing credits that the CPU crunching can't touch!

I actually do it another way. Install the program ProLasso (Process Lasso) and using that you can set priority and affinity for all processes. I setup threads 6 and 7 for the Moo GPU programs (dnetcxxxxxx) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for any CPU tasks I set them for threads 0-6 with normal priority. On the 5970/GTX 570 I do the above but I set the primegrid wu to threads 0-6 with HIGH priority.

The benefit to totally isolating the GPU core is that the GPU doesn't have to interrupt a lower priority CPU task to get serviced. Even this minor delay causes a loss of GPU processing.
Yeah. Me too. I do what Bryan does. With the exception that I have an AMD box, do 1 core = 1 thread for me... ;)

Bryan
06-12-11, 09:39 PM
Just to let everyone on the Moo team know that it isn't a lack of interest that I haven't posted on the OTHER Moo thread. I can read anything in the team area but I can't post ... so I'm all ears! :)

No Joker this isn't the time to take advantage ... remember I get even!

joker
06-12-11, 09:53 PM
No Joker this isn't the time to take advantage ... remember I get even!

So.......I CANT grab your ears??? =))=))=))

Bryan
06-12-11, 11:02 PM
So.......I CANT grab your ears??? =))=))=))

No, and I don't have a flat head either so you have to hold your beer :)

joker
06-13-11, 01:23 AM
No, and I don't have a flat head either so you have to hold your beer

Life just sucks more every day!! =))=))=))=))

vaio
06-23-11, 04:28 PM
Sic should be toast in a few days so will head home after the weekend.
Apologies for the reduced output.....trying to work on my Collatz 100m.

STE\/E
11-10-11, 04:53 PM
Not anymore, they just passed us in the Project for Total Credit, probably not much we can do about it since they are putting out 10 Million more a day than we are ... 3:-O

Mike029
11-10-11, 04:55 PM
Not anymore, they just passed us in the Project for Total Credit, probably not much we can do about it since they are putting out 10 Million more a day than we are ... 3:-O

Perhaps not now but we are going to be relevant once again.