PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo, baselayout-2 and boinc-6.12.26-r1

trigggl
06-09-11, 01:27 PM
Is anyone else having random daily crashes running boinc 6.12.26? I'm getting them on every one of the machines I'm running it on. That includes 64-bit Intel, AMD, Pentium 4, IBM ppc64 and the PS3.

They've all been recently upgraded to baselayout-2 at nearly the same time as the boinc upgrade, but I don't think that's the cause.

I wrote a bug report with Gentoo, so hopefully one way or another it will get fixed.

Slicker
06-09-11, 01:59 PM
I don't upgrade unless there is a real good reason to do so. A big part of the 6.12.xx release is the new notification functionality which quite frankly, I could care less about. If I have a version that works, I stick with it until a new version has something I really need (e.g. a project requires it or some can't-crunch-without feature is added). In fact, I usually ignore the current version on the BOINC web site and go to their FTP site and grab the version I really want. Really stable boinc clients are few and far between. When I think a stable version is available, I install it on a single machine. If after several weeks to a month it still works OK, I'll install it on the other 25+ machines. It also helps to monitor the boinc email lists at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/email_lists.php to see what kinds of issues people are having and whether the boinc dev team can duplicate (and fix) the issues and in what version the issues are actually fixed.