PDA

View Full Version : Milkyway: Separation updated to 0.80

RSS
06-12-11, 05:10 PM
I've updated 15 of the 16 different versions of the separation for all systems. Post here if you have any problems (particularly if you have a problem with the new 32 bit Linux GPU applications...)New features: - Faster CPU calculations because of SSE2 intrinsics from Crunch3r. This should get a bit faster later when I get to some other stuff. - The binaries now include the different SSE levels for the critical function (e.g. x87/SSE2/SSE3) all in one, and will use the appropriate one for the detected CPU's capabilities, so you don't need any special __sse2 version or anything. The problems on systems without SSE2 which happened sometimes for the GPU applications should also be fixed.- Checkpointing for GPUs for both OpenCL/Nvidia and ATI/AMD for CAL. It will checkpoint no more frequently than after at least 10% progress, so it might not checkpoint as frequently as your settings specify if you have a particularly slow GPU. GPU checkpointing is a bit slow when it does happen, so if you don't want it, you can disable it with the flag --gpu-disable-checkpointing.- The Nvidia OpenCL platform should now always be used avoiding issues if you had both AMD's and Nvidia's installed- More reliable chunking for different GPUs. I didn't play with the time estimates so much, but I think the actual run times should now be closer to the estimates. There should also be fewer cases where a GPU will end up using the slowest possible work size option. I'll probably have to fiddle with this some more if people still aren't happy with the lag.- Work around for a Catalyst driver problem where sometimes the GPU was reported as 0 Mhz, resulting in much more lag which I think was some peoples' problem.- New flag that some people requested: --process-priority (-b). On Windows this is 0 (lowest) - 4 (highest) for overriding the process priority. On Linux this is the nice value.- CAL specific: Removed --responsiveness-factor flag. Use --gpu-target-frequency or --non-responsive instead depending on what you want to do.- Actually updated the 32-bit OS X application- In the event of a crash on Windows, you should no longer be bothered with useless crash dialogs

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=2454)