PDA

View Full Version : Could $70 1Gbps Fiber Internet be in your future?

Fire$torm
06-18-11, 01:08 AM
Ars Technica article here. (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/1gbps-fiber-for-70in-america-yup.ars?utm_source=Ars+Technica+Newsletter&utm_campaign=61d1dac1fb-June_17_2011_Newsletter&utm_medium=email)

Maxwell
06-18-11, 01:20 AM
I suddenly have a strong desire to move to Sebastopol, California...

Thanks for sharing that, Fire! I like it!

YoDude9999
06-18-11, 01:30 AM
FINALLY, someone comes along to SPANK the hell outta AT&T and all those other rats suckers that rip us off everyday. Lets all hope this goes very well for them in their trials. It'll force the current market into providing fair trade instead of "lets just rip them off" mentality.

Dandasarge
06-19-11, 10:44 AM
Google is doing something like this in a couple of city's as well, Orlando was on the list but we lost the bid. We so far behind on high speed infrastructure.

Fire$torm
06-19-11, 02:27 PM
Yeah, Google and Verizon before them. I think what makes this company different is that they are not relying on other companies infrastructure. No antiquated Ma' Bell central office facilities with ridiculously high access fees. If they do it right by starting out in affluent neighborhoods and building out from there, they could be King of the Hill in less then 10 years.

Beerdrinker
06-20-11, 11:03 AM
Iīve got at 15/15 Mbit overhere for around 38$ a month. Thatīs about the cheapest I could find in my area...

My provider also offers greater speed combined with TV. 40 channels of which 8 are HD channels... But the price for those are horrible....Way over 150$ per month...

Fire$torm
06-20-11, 02:02 PM
Iīve got at 15/15 Mbit overhere for around 38$ a month. Thatīs about the cheapest I could find in my area...

My provider also offers greater speed combined with TV. 40 channels of which 8 are HD channels... But the price for those are horrible....Way over 150$ per month...

BD, is that US Dollars, Euros or Deutschmarks?

dan
06-20-11, 09:03 PM
$100 for 25/25, with phone and 9 billion channels of HD. Of course by the time I pay the rent to Verizon for all the hardware I don't need and give the Gov it's cut my bill comes to $194 a month.

I worked for AT&T and SWB for a few years these guys have armies of people doing software that a team of one or two dozen could do it's amazing, how they waste money. I remember the day my company got fired from AT&T by the CIO, he said he was given a goal to cut $1 Billion from the IT budget of AT&T. How do you get so bloated that you have room to cut that much. Answer, it's easy there is no competition, so they charge whatever they want.

Beerdrinker
06-21-11, 02:44 PM
BD, is that US Dollars, Euros or Deutschmarks?

Thatīs my bill convertet to US dollars.

DrPop
06-21-11, 08:16 PM
AT&T cap the line in to my office at 6Mbs. I could not get any faster service here in this area of town even if I wanted to. They have no competition because cable access ends at an address about 2 blocks down the road, I was told. How in the heck does that work, I want to know?:confused: They've got us coming and going...we're stuck, and they know it. There is no reason for them to offer faster service, because no one else offers service to these office buildings period.
Talk about lame...:p

dan
06-21-11, 08:35 PM
AT&T cap the line in to my office at 6Mbs. I could not get any faster service here in this area of town even if I wanted to. They have no competition because cable access ends at an address about 2 blocks down the road, I was told. How in the heck does that work, I want to know?:confused: They've got us coming and going...we're stuck, and they know it. There is no reason for them to offer faster service, because no one else offers service to these office buildings period.
Talk about lame...:p

Telcos are worse than any govt could ever be. I have so many stories. Like the time I went to work with the architecture group at SWB. I could never understand what any of them were talking about, but these four guys managed to produce a four page paper on architecture.... in one year....at $200 an hour....That's $400,000 a page. Think about it.