PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all from Glendale AZ

Jordan Turner
06-18-11, 06:24 AM
For anyone interested because I know it is a popular subject on the seti@home homepage I have found a copy of seti@home 3.08 install. otherwise know as the classic version. If you are interested in it contact me. Trying to find someone who can make it work again. You can install it but it won't connect or login. I don't know what to do with it but maybe someone knows a programmer or is one that can rewrite the code to make it work with the new server.

I like the new version put out by Boinc but the screen saver after a while gets a fatal error with my fastest machine causing it to crash and reload constantly. I prefer the old one because it didn't take 3d processing to run it. For right now I have the new one custom set to be still but some how it just isn't as nice as the classic look.

Crazybob
06-18-11, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the boards Jordan. For people who go for Max credits, we don't use any screen savers since they use extra cycles and take away from the crunching. I would guess though if you are looking to use it, there is probably someone here who could extract just the screen saver so it could be used as a stand alone. This way you could still get the bennefits of using the new BOINC software while having the classic look from the old screen saver. Just a thought.

Mike029
06-19-11, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the boards..

Fire$torm
06-19-11, 08:30 PM
Howdy. Sorry but I know little about the classic SETI app. But most likely they have changed communication procedures so the old app won't work.

Duke of Buckingham
06-19-11, 08:47 PM
Howdy. Sorry but I know little about the classic SETI app. But most likely they have changed communication procedures so the old app won't work.

Someone called me?

Seti I know a lot about that Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0

Bok
06-19-11, 08:51 PM
Impossible to get the old app working again I'm afraid. I crunched it a lot back in the day and in fact I was one of the first (that I know of) to get the base wu to run in under 1 hour on an overclocked Athlon XP :)

Whereabouts in Glendale are you? I know the area fairly well, even though I live in North Carolina, in fact I'll be in Tempe & Scottsdale in a few weeks time..

Steve Bohlen
06-19-11, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the boards, Jordan. What kind of machines are you running?

NJCaNS
06-19-11, 11:09 PM
Bolstering the old post count by 1.

Welcome aboard.

Watch out for Joker. :)

joker
06-19-11, 11:26 PM
I am not dangerous!!

YoDude9999
06-20-11, 01:20 AM
Alright, another new guy to the boards.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us!

Crazybob's Son
06-20-11, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the boards and to the team Jordan!

- Jason aka Crazybob's Son (CBS)

DrPop
06-22-11, 03:07 AM
Hi Jordan, welcome to the boards, and here's to hoping you make SETI.USA your team of choice on BOINC and home for a long time to come! :o

I too, was an original SETI@Home "Classic" cruncher back in the days when a Pentium 200MMX was a screaming machine. ;) Cannot get that to work any longer, as has been said in this thread already. Best thing to do would be crunch some SETI@Home with the BOINC app if you like that project, or perhaps take a look at the list of at least a hundred other BOINC projects you could crunch out there!
*Shameless plug* Please remember to Join SETI.USA as your Team on every project please! :D hehehe...sorry, couldn't resist!
Pop