PDA

View Full Version : Vacations

Slicker
06-22-11, 06:47 PM
'Tis the season for taking trips. So, tell us about your plans or recent adventures.

To get started.... Last week I went with a buddy to the BRP Cam-Am Spyder Rally in North Carolina. That's my buddy on his Spyder behind me in the photo. The pinnacle of the trip was riding The Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap. 318 curves in 11 miles. Awesome riding! There's sure nothing like it here in IL. Except for the rain (lots of it) and hail (boy does that sting at 75 mph!) it was a great trip. We basically skipped the rally and just spent our time riding in the Smoky Mountains.

(Photo by Killboy.com)

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/download/tail_of_the_dragon.jpg

trigggl
06-22-11, 07:55 PM
Someday I hope to have a motorcycle again.

I went to Branson to celebrate my 9th anniversary the weekend before last. Almost got conned into a fratural ownership, but had fun, stayed in a $400 per night room and went to see Legends of Rock. Legends was a lot better than I expected.

Bok
06-22-11, 08:47 PM
'Tis the season for taking trips. So, tell us about your plans or recent adventures.

To get started.... Last week I went with a buddy to the BRP Cam-Am Spyder Rally in North Carolina. That's my buddy on his Spyder behind me in the photo. The pinnacle of the trip was riding The Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap. 318 curves in 11 miles. Awesome riding! There's sure nothing like it here in IL. Except for the rain (lots of it) and hail (boy does that sting at 75 mph!) it was a great trip. We basically skipped the rally and just spent our time riding in the Smoky Mountains.

(Photo by Killboy.com)

Down here close to me (sorta). I've actually driven that road too, many years ago, before we had kids, my wife and I did it in my convertible. Fantastic ride!

Slicker
06-25-11, 01:18 PM
Someday I hope to have a motorcycle again.

I went to Branson to celebrate my 9th anniversary the weekend before last. Almost got conned into a fratural ownership, but had fun, stayed in a $400 per night room and went to see Legends of Rock. Legends was a lot better than I expected.

So what's there to do in Branson? My wife and I have thought about visiting there.

vaio
06-25-11, 05:38 PM
Hoping to have a lil break soon, if I ever get debts under control.
Need a time out.

Somewhere nearby of historical interest.

London (ridiculously expensive), York or maybe Edinburgh.

trigggl
06-25-11, 06:39 PM
So what's there to do in Branson? My wife and I have thought about visiting there.
That's the problem with hitting the preview button. I was checking my preview, got distracted and thought I'd already posted it.

Shows, old time photos, go-karts, helicopter ride, taste testing at Stone Hill winery, ride the ducks, check out a fish hatchery, Silver Dollar City, etc...

Slicker
06-27-11, 09:31 AM
That's the problem with hitting the preview button. I was checking my preview, got distracted and thought I'd already posted it.

Shows, old time photos, go-karts, helicopter ride, taste testing at Stone Hill winery, ride the ducks, check out a fish hatchery, Silver Dollar City, etc...

Sounds like the Missouri version of the Wisconsin Dells.

Crazybob's Son
06-27-11, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the Missouri version of the Wisconsin Dells.

Yep, it is (we went there maybe 10 years ago?), although Branson has Table Rock Lake.

Aux10
06-27-11, 12:16 PM
Well since my parents didn't plan a family vacation I just had to fix that! I'm cashing in all my paid vacation time at the end of July while I go on a personal trip. I'll be going over to Baltimore to attend Otakon, I hear it's fun. It'll the first time I'm traveling on my own too.

Crazybob
06-27-11, 01:56 PM
Don't ever make the mistake of driving into Branson. Go around if at all possible. Traffic is a nightmare. We stayed on Table Rock Lake on the Southwest part of town out near Silver Dollar City. Lake was great except the fishing wasn't as good as I would have liked it. Brought the Skeeter and did some tubing. Man they have some big boats on that lake! Saw the hatchery and did some trout fishing. Not a bad place to visit.

CudaStream
08-05-11, 05:08 PM
I've had a couple good trips this past month of July. For my 68th birthday this year my wife rented a couple good sized houses in Sun River, OR. Then she contacted my son and his family in Millington, TN and my son and his family in Williston, ND along with her two son's and a daughter and their families and we had a family reuntion for eight days in Sun River. Was really a lot of fun. It has been several years since I'd seen my sons. Lots of bike trails down there, along with the Deschutes River which is a nice kayak paddle. All the grandchildren got along really well. Was a really nice birthday present. :-)

Then the week after that, I went on a jeep rondesvous up in Mullan, ID with my son-in-law and his daughter. That has turned into an annual gathering of old farts driving jeeps and toyota 4x4's up in the mountains. That was a really nice trip too. The weather was great, and the granddaughter really enjoyed going with us.