PDA

View Full Version : MM.......Waay too complicated and time consuming.

vaio
06-28-11, 04:21 PM
Been thinking about the way folks go here, there and everywhere.
Don't you guys find it too complicated and time consuming?

First one has to ponder on what project to hit.
Then switch projects on your rigs, suspending or aborting other work and watching for deadlines.

Then one has to factor in wether to go for that MM in x poor credit project when you know you could get so much more "bang per buck" elsewhere.

Not criticising or anything, just looking for insights as to why folk do it and what methodology they use to achieve their aims.

Do you have software doing all your project switching for you or do you have to do it manually?

Just curious because I have lots of projects with very low MM's.......most of mine are under 250k and I would like to boost a few of them.

But it just seems like so much work and this hobby is so time consuming as it is.

Plus, a situation like right now with Idealogias.
Knowing that it won't be around long do you aim for a MM then move on or do you hammer it til the project ends to get a decent final ranking?

Just wondering the thought processes of others into this pastime/hobby/addiction.

I have these random wonderings from time to time.:D

p.s......If Bok would name "join date rankings" after me that is the area I would work on lol.

vaio
06-28-11, 04:35 PM
Another example of the potential difficulties in the decision making process.

Right now I am clinging on to number one spot at Moo (Steve must have got bored).
I would like to reach milestones in Collatz and MW.....but that would mean sacrificing the only number one ranking I've ever had.

See what I mean about it being complicated.

Hmmm.

I guess Zombie, Maxy and Mumps are the experts in this area.

Be interesting to see some folks viewpoints.

Trying to decide on the path ahead for myself.

Maxwell
06-28-11, 05:46 PM
I like the MM chasing because it's something that once you get, it can't be taken from you. And it's a nice way to measure progress relative to others. 100k in Moo? I've had farts that have lasted longer than it takes me to get 100k in Moo. 100k in Rosetta? That one was a bitch to get.

Also, I like collecting, and these MMs are like a crunching version of starting a collection.

And BAM works for switching projects, or something like LogMeIn or TeamViewer works lets you control things if you don't want to use BAM. I've never been an overall credit ho - I like seeing my numbers get bigger, but that's boring for me. If I were a credit ho, I'd probably have ~200M more than I do.

vaio
06-28-11, 05:57 PM
Understood.

Some milestone ideas appeal to me.
For example, being in the top 100 in as many projects as possible would be good, as would number one for join date.

However, there are some projects where one is so many years behind, such as Seti and Einstein that such a ranking would be impossible.

Just trying to find a new angle for motivation.

As you say, merely adding numbers is rather monotonous....addictive though it can be.

Kinda disheartened as I originally invested heavily in ATI GPU's on the understanding that the apps for Poem amd GPUgrid were on the way.
Few years later, still waiting, sigh.

Plenty of project choice but what I really want is a GPU bio-med app I believe in.

Til then....hmmm.

Just thought it would make an interesting topic for debate.

Bok
06-28-11, 10:59 PM
I used to run 25 pc's at home and was pretty big in a lot of the early projects, but I found myself wanting something different, especially when kids came along..

So I set myself a goal long ago, well, looks like it was after zombie, but long ago anyway :)

100K in each project. As I enjoy data mining, I ended up creating the MM's as a way of mining my own data.. some of it is fairly complex sql to get at the data efficiently.

I've just basically decided to stick with that philosophy, Chess960 might well be my crowning glory. At 84K now and given I've been running it for 4.5 years now.., let's just say I have a very special bottle waiting to be opened when I do hit 100K on it. Could I do it faster? Sure, I could set up some vm's on my linux boxen, but I'll get there...

I will do that 'vaio' at some point soon, try to do it tomorrow. Ah, to hell, done it now... I've set it for joindate rank < 5, with min of 9 to qualify.. Should I make it join date has to be 1st ?

Sorry, been busy with other code.. got the new db server up and running. It's pulling data from the current server and I've hacked apart a few of the tables into two. All the perl scripting is done and it's about 3 times faster right now. But I've only just started fixing up the php now that I have to join a number of queries. I'm about 15hours in... had an almost all nighter last night :)

Bok

Bryan
06-28-11, 11:56 PM
Right now I am clinging on to number one spot at Moo (Steve must have got bored).

Steve* only has 5 ATIs left ... he converted everything else to Cuda. He says he will probably get some more ATIs when the next generation comes out. What he did on Moo was with a pair of 5850s. :))

BTW, I'm no threat on Moo. In approximately 36.5 days I will hit my combined credit goal and I will pull off of Moo and put the ATIs on Collatz. A week later I will hit 250M on PG and move the 3 remaining Cudas to GPUGrid (already moved 1). I'm gonna go from a credit ho (4.8M/day) to a small scale MM (2M/day). What a revolting thought :)

So to start my MM banter: DING! Hit 1M on GPUGrid DING! Hit 500k on Primaboinca! (Sorry guys, I couldn't resist :)) )

Did you see me flash and wave as I went by Stuart? :) :-h

Fire$torm
06-29-11, 12:33 AM
@vaio: I fell you man. And yes, all of it can be rather bothersome at times....
But, no pain, no gain.

@Bok: Thank you for the new stat. I have 16 vaios!!!!! It is only the second of the non-numbered FDC stats that I have been able to acquire.

@Bryan: In my book, you can be whatever you want to be. :D

vaio
06-29-11, 04:00 AM
Woot, I am a stat..... Thank you Bok, first nice news I've had in ages, you have made my day :D

Personally I think top 5 is fine but No 1 is the real milestone.
Will leave that to your discretion.

Whilst unsure of which direction to take perhaps you have provided me with an interim solution.....chasing myself lol.
Could see if I can add to my "Vaio's" collection.

Would be silly to be too low down my own stat!

@Bryan.....yup I saw you cruise by.

I bought 460's to run GPUgrid only to discover that their full capability isn't used....dammit.
Wanted to reach 25 mil there, only got 10.

Will plod on with Idealogias a while longer then re-assess.

Appreciate the feedback guys, it's food for thought.

Given the work involved I suppose Poem is my main achievement to date, wasn't as hard as Bok's Chess but still :D

vaio
06-29-11, 06:38 AM
With the timely (semi) return of Aqua, and the advice of you guys, I think I have at least a short term strategy. :D

1:-Hammer Idealogias all I can whilst it's available.....Top 10 would be nice, though may not quite get there.
2:-Keep trying to top up my measly GPUgrid 10 mil with a long term target of 25 mil.
3:-When Idealogias is done try to complete my 50 mil at Aqua.....maybe even look towards the next milestone.
4:-Whilst running Aqua try topping up Primaboinca with the aim of reaching 10 mil mark.
5:-Continue running a little Moo whilst also edging towards the 100 mil mark in both Collatz and MW.

That should be enough to keep this pup going for some time.

Oh, and if I can add a Vaio or two along the way that would be the icing on the crunchy cake :D

Keep posting your views on the original subject matter.
Personally I find it, and the psychology behind it interesting. :D

zombie67
08-04-11, 08:35 PM
What's a "Viao" again? I read through the thread, but I still can't tell.

Whatever it is, I'm #1??

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=mmakers&subproj=vaios

valyn42
08-04-11, 09:38 PM
If I recall correctly, they were awarded when your "join date" rank was between 1-5. I.E. I joined Seti@home (Now BOINC Combined) on May 20, 1999. One of my personal goals was to be number 1 on that date. Got to get a couple more to get that one.

zombie67
08-04-11, 09:57 PM
Hmmm. I join projects early, but no way am I #1-5 on 106 of them.

Bok
08-04-11, 10:44 PM
I think you are, unless I have something seriously wrong in my stats :) Looks at your CPID page and the far right column...

zombie67
08-04-11, 11:17 PM
I think you are, unless I have something seriously wrong in my stats :) Looks at your CPID page and the far right column...

I think we are not talking about the same thing.

valyn42 said, "If I recall correctly, they were awarded when your "join date" rank was between 1-5."

That means I was 1st through 5th in joining, right? I am not sure I have *any* project ID numbers less than 5. If I do, the count is less than the fingers on one hand.

So there is no way I have 106 of them.

Bryan
08-05-11, 12:17 AM
I think it for being ranked 1-4 on a project for your join date.

Bok
08-05-11, 02:17 AM
Correct, where you are ranked < 5 for the particular date you joined.

Clank [MM]
08-05-11, 02:38 AM
75 VAIOS , THAT'S IT???? I'm only in 6th, what kind of stat is that=))... As far as MM's, it's the only way to go. It allows goals that are obtainable while spreading the wealth around to more projects than just the few high paying ones. Besides if you use a couple of cards for the bulk of your points that frees you up to hit the other projects for your MM's.

denim
08-05-11, 11:56 AM
I think I have 12?

http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f64f2bad3d3f5689946db0da4891c8d6&theme=1