PDA

View Full Version : Going underwater...

Dorsilfin
06-29-11, 10:57 AM
Just pulled the trigger on watercooling parts..

Putting my 1090T six core under water..

Also got a waterblock for my GTX 590...

Ohmy!

Im nervous, and excited.. First Water cooling build.. but pumped about having a quiet, cool machine. :-B

rgathright
06-29-11, 11:08 AM
In my opinion, I would not water cool the 1090T if you wish to get it stable over 4.0Ghz... highly likely to not yield the gains you expect.

HOWEVER, water cooling that 590 video card is a great idea. You can make your cooling system install easier just by watercooling the 590 and leaving the cpu out of it.

Dorsilfin
06-29-11, 11:12 AM
In my opinion, I would not water cool the 1090T if you wish to get it stable over 4.0Ghz... highly likely to not yield the gains you expect.

HOWEVER, water cooling that 590 video card is a great idea. You can make your cooling system install easier just by watercooling the 590 and leaving the cpu out of it.

Well, I run stock clock on the CPU, I just figured im spending all this money on the cooling system, whats another 80 bucks for a CPU block to take out another fan noise from the case. Im more looking for the quiet/cool running of the watercooling =)

rgathright
06-29-11, 12:26 PM
Ah, should be real fun!

FYI, have you ever heard of a water chiller? We use these on crewboats in the Gulf of Mexico as air conditioning systems.

The systems include the water pump... another worry out of the way.

They are rather low priced and can do an amazing job of getting your water cooling system working great!
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/447799364-Resun-150W-Aquarium-Electronics-Chiller-Fish-Tank-Marine-Water-wholesalers.html

Here is a picture of what the bigger units on marine vessels look like... I often dream of putting a cpu water block on one of these bad boys!

Dorsilfin
06-29-11, 01:36 PM
Haha those things are neat... I think ill be quite content just having a quiet computer room when im gaming.. the 590 is quiet when idle.. but put it under load and it ramps up quite loud..

maybe its sad, but Im stepping away from the rediculously loud high cfm fans, and trying to get the computer room quiet.. water was a logical choice.. Considering im not overclocking, that part of the watercooling is going to waste.. but not having to wear headphones to drone out the fan noise sure will be nice lol

rgathright
06-29-11, 04:05 PM
maybe its sad, but Im stepping away from the rediculously loud high cfm fans, and trying to get the computer room quiet.. water was a logical choice..

Just turn the stereo up louder.

YoDude9999
06-29-11, 11:30 PM
Ah, should be real fun!

FYI, have you ever heard of a water chiller? We use these on crewboats in the Gulf of Mexico as air conditioning systems.

The systems include the water pump... another worry out of the way.

They are rather low priced and can do an amazing job of getting your water cooling system working great!
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/447799364-Resun-150W-Aquarium-Electronics-Chiller-Fish-Tank-Marine-Water-wholesalers.html

Here is a picture of what the bigger units on marine vessels look like... I often dream of putting a cpu water block on one of these bad boys!

Your link to the water chiller, no workie workie and I'd like to know more.

YoDude9999
06-29-11, 11:49 PM
Personally, I kinda like the noise. It tends to make me think my boxes are actually doing something and it helps me sleep at night.
There are times however, that quiet serenity would be nice without the need of having to turn off the computers :)
Your plan is sound and well founded, go for it! I've had a water cooled system in the past and I keep telling myself I'm gonna do it again, but I keep stalling it off for some reason. I think the rad is the biggest issue with water cooling. There just doesn't seem to be a way of making it all look like it was made to be that way without some sort of mods.

I wish that case manufacturers would offer options a person could purchase to accommodate water cooling. For instance, I own two Cooler Master 690 cases that have detachable top panels. It'd be super cool if they offered a replacement lid for the case that would fit 2x120mm rads or a double sized 120mm rad in it. Being that the case already has provision for 2x120mm fans at the top, why not just put the rads up there on top of them too? It would be a perfect solution. Oh well, there I said it, now they will come out with a new model that does just that. Hahaha!

DrPop
06-30-11, 12:50 AM
@Dorsilfin - which water cooling rig did you end up going with? I'm itching to try one myself, maybe in a month or so. I need to start looking and researching options.

@rgathright - those water chillers look sweet! That would be like the promised land for over clocking. The same idea as a peltier - super cooling the CPU - i.e. BELOW AMBIENT temps, but without the mess or worry of condensation that the peltiers bring. That is, if I've got this right. So you would hook up the chiller after the radiator in the pipeline, right? So flow would be CPU --> Radiator --> Pump --> Water Chiller --> CPU, right? :confused: :D

Dandasarge
06-30-11, 07:32 AM
150w chiller would not be enough. you would need one equal ratings to your rigs watts to brake even.

Dorsilfin
07-01-11, 11:12 AM
Heres the breakdown of all the components going into it.

GPU waterblock
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_240_578&products_id=31076&zenid=a8b49383be51e2006caf29b7c7a7e72d

CPU waterblock
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_498_490&products_id=27629

Radiator
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_671&products_id=25389&zenid=a8b49383be51e2006caf29b7c7a7e72d

Reservoir
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_659&products_id=27957

Pumphttp://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=3112&zenid=a8b49383be51e2006caf29b7c7a7e72d

3 high CFM, low DB fans
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_49&products_id=22034

fan controller for good measure =)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=30058

throw in misc fittings/tubing/fluid adapters etc etc and its done.

its all showing up tuesday the 5th, So im hoping by the end of the week ill have it ready for action. ill probably get most of it setup and then do the dreadful task of removing my cooler off the GTX590, and installing the waterblock! eek.. nothing like messing with itty bitty screws on a 750 dollar graphics card lol

Fire$torm
07-01-11, 06:57 PM
ill probably get most of it setup and then do the dreadful task of removing my cooler off the GTX590, and installing the waterblock! eek.. nothing like messing with itty bitty screws on a 750 dollar graphics card lol

Good luck with that. I have some hobby tips that might be of use to you.

Keeping track of small screws while tearing down a repair project can be a pain. Here are some easy ways to keep organized.

1) An old icecube tray: A tray will help keep screws from wandering off your work counter and help keep them in the order they were removed.

2) Recycle that used Tupperware container: These work well for keeping various small parts. I prefer the ones with screw on lids. Snap on lids + greasy fingers = 52 Pickup. (Been there, done that)

3) For small screws my favorite tip is #2 with the addition of tin sheet (Cookie/Candy tin) and a strong magnet like "Ring" style types used on 2~5 inch speakers. Edmond Scientific is one of the many places where these can be had.

Qiuck and Dirty instructions:
Use the largest magnet that will fit in the bottom of the tupperware container.
Take the tin sheet and cut out a slightly over-sized disk and trim to fit the container. If the container has a bowl like shape (slanted sides) then be sure to make allowance for the height of the magnet when fitting the disk.
Now, scuff up the bottom of the container with sandpaper/Scotch-brite pad and glue magnet to the bottom with epoxy or silicone glue.
Next, insert the disk and add a fillet (bead of glue) around the perimeter where the disks edge meeting the container.
And Remember to let the glue fully cure before use.

That it.

Dorsilfin
07-05-11, 10:49 PM
Im Underwater!

it took me about 4 hours from start to finish to get it up and running.

its not that it was a difficult task, it was just very time consuming being meticulous and ensuring everything is right.

One small leak during the loop test quickly fixxed by actually putting the gasket in the pump ><... Sigh.

Going to run it for a bit while im sitting next to it, but i plan on being next to it for at least 4 hours before leaving it on by itself.

The case was not water friendly.. Sure i fit the Triple rad up top easy enough, but the reservoir didn't fit right, bad measurement on my part. I thought i had enough room from the GPU to the HD cages to fit it in, so its squished and velcrowed on the side right now till I find a better mounting solution.

IDLE temps..

GPU's 29C
CPU 23C...

Fancy! considering it used to idle at 40+ on the gpu.. ill be interested to see how it handles a load.. More testing to come!

*** Testing.. 2 units of primegrid done.. full bore.. sat at load with fans at half speed 42-43... =) Much better then the 80 I was seeing... My oh my this made my day... Quiet and functional!***

When I have time ill try and run like a 2 hour test to see if the system gets heatsoaked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Epton/IMG00161-20110705-2243.jpg

Dorsilfin
07-06-11, 07:37 AM
Well, I pushed the system this morning for around 2 hours.. the results... are nothing short of the largest smile I've ever had over a computer..

all six cores maxxed.. 590 maxxed...

It hummed along quiet as can be at a max of 43 on the gpu and 39 on the CPU...

Worth every penny having it just be quiet lol!

YoDude9999
07-06-11, 10:30 AM
Sweet indeed! Glad to hear everything is working out for you with that. Liquid cooling really is the way to go if you can afford the additional expense.

Crazybob's Son
07-06-11, 11:05 AM
It hummed along quiet as can be at a max of 43 on the gpu and 39 on the CPU...

Looks to me like you have a bit of room to OC those bad boys.... ;) Pull every last credit out of that machine you can!

Fire$torm
07-06-11, 01:15 PM
Sweet effort there Yo. Good news indeed. :-bd

spingadus
07-06-11, 02:20 PM
Wow! Those temps are incredible!

Would it be possible to get a picture of the entire setup? I was thinking of doing this, but wasn't sure how much space it would take outside of the pc.

Also, taking advantage of your recent knowledge, would you mind expounding on any pitfalls or problems to be avoided by a novice at this? Any thoughts on whether you should have used a different product? For example, you mentioned that the case wasn't friendly to the project. Stuff like that...

Thanks!

rgathright
07-06-11, 02:32 PM
This is great stuff! :-B

Please post more pictures!

aux9o
07-06-11, 03:13 PM
I have been thinking about going water cooled and would love to see more detailed pictures of your setup.