PDA

View Full Version : AQUA: Work on the AQUA server has been resumed

RSS
07-05-11, 01:45 PM
We have started submitting new work. If you still receive an error message regarding bad XML format, please detach and reattach to the project.

More... (http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=848)

YoDude9999
07-06-11, 03:08 AM
My credit ho dream has been answered....Running a few WUs to see the results, if all is well, switching all my CPUs back to Aqua!

DrPop
07-06-11, 03:13 PM
Let us know how the test WUs turn out for you, Yo! I'd like to see if some of the new ones can run on my 6 core AMD without crashing the heck out of it yet. ;)

Fire$torm
07-06-11, 07:19 PM
Let us know how the test WUs turn out for you, Yo! I'd like to see if some of the new ones can run on my 6 core AMD without crashing the heck out of it yet. ;)

Hey DrPop, take a look at this ---> http://aqua.dwavesys.com/results.php?hostid=108691 <---- This is the Phenom II. Running Fokkers on three threads. Time to start crunching!!!

YoDude9999
07-06-11, 11:00 PM
Two WUs errored out for some reason five more are accounted for and are paying off...TIME TO SWITCH!
Longer WUs seem to be paying about 1 credit/second.

DrPop
07-07-11, 01:12 AM
Wait a sec - are we talking about Fokkers now? Did they up the credit on those? I thought the good credits were on the ROQS WUs...and those are what made my six core crash...:confused:

Fire$torm
07-07-11, 01:45 AM
Wait a sec - are we talking about Fokkers now? Did they up the credit on those? I thought the good credits were on the ROQS WUs...and those are what made my six core crash...:confused:

OH... Well, sorry mate. I don't have a six core AMD and you need a minimum of four to crunch ROQS work. :( I can only dedicate 3 cores because the Phenom box is my server.

Maybe try running Aqua without crunching anything else. Just to see if it completes a wu.

And to cover all the bases......
How much mem does that 6x box of yours have?
Were you crunching with stock clocks?
Do you have AMD CPU driver installed?
Did you try resetting the project?

One last thing. My Phenom got 114K (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=host&proj=aqu&hostid=108691) today in Aqua with Fokkers. Not bad wouldn't you say?

dan
07-07-11, 05:24 AM
The credit is all messed up. I made 500,000 yesterday on CPU work and that was with one 310,000 second wu earning 0 credits. Ain't it fun.

Mumps
07-07-11, 08:49 AM
The credit is all messed up. I made 500,000 yesterday on CPU work and that was with one 310,000 second wu earning 0 credits. Ain't it fun.

Holy smokes Dan! 374 Mil so far this morning! I think I want me some of that! :)

Fire$torm
07-07-11, 10:50 AM
Man did they sooooo screw up the credits. My last update ----> 154,816,383. I just moved into thrid place on the team. :D And tenth place on the team for Combined. I so with I had that kind of horse power.

dan
07-07-11, 08:06 PM
Holy smokes Dan! 374 Mil so far this morning! I think I want me some of that! :)

They fixed it already and now I only got 134 Mil today. It was cool I was all the way in 4th place for the team. I never thought I could get their.

Total silliness! Read the last couple of posts. They think they have corrected it.

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=835#11581

Clank [MM]
07-07-11, 10:03 PM
This is a bunch of crap, I've seen someone with 4mil total earn a 1/4 billion today. I actually dropped 54 places on the overall leader board with some people earning 2 billion in 1 day. Remember when crunching used to mean something. Nothing to be proud of guys. Aqua Did something else stupid a year ago, can't remember what it was.

zombie67
07-07-11, 10:26 PM
Guys, it will all be corrected in time.

On another note, this is why MMs are the way to measure things. No matter what a particular project does with credits, there is no need to worry about cross-project parity. :D

dan
07-08-11, 05:19 AM
Guys, it will all be corrected in time.

I actually hope so. Made another 100 Mil so far today.

Crazybob
07-08-11, 08:33 AM
Thought I was doing great until I looked at the top producers. I didn't get crap. :)

dan
07-09-11, 06:43 AM
Just reading the Aqua thread. Seems boinc is pushing a standard credit on people. My thought is that it's time for Boinc to be replaced.

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=835&nowrap=true#11653

(http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=835&nowrap=true#11653)

YoDude9999
07-09-11, 02:55 PM
My thought is that it's time for DA to be replaced.

DrPop
07-09-11, 03:35 PM
My thought is that it's time for DA to be replaced.

This is truth, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. BOINC has grown to a much larger scale than either DA, Berkeley, or anyone else originally thought possible. It is time for a group to run it, and improve things like credits, etc. If it weren't for the "competition" aspect of "teams and points" they would still be getting the same 1/1500th per day of my current credit, that I was giving them last year, and I would have saved a LOT of money at this point. I do NOT believe I am alone in this.

Surely this is NOT lost to the majority of individuals running things, is it?:p:confused:

YoDude9999
07-10-11, 01:56 PM
OMG, I just had an epiphany.

The people that crunch the projects ARE the people with ALL the real power. We do all the work and without us, the work doesn't get done. This is with the exceptions of cruncher entities such as the Nemo cluster and a few others I'm sure. The point being that the people that have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on hardware to crunch these projects SHOULD have an amount of say about how things are managed. This should be even more so because of the fact that the people are spending thousands of dollars of their own money to feed the electric companies for the "Honor" of running the projects, not to mention the fact that these projects also rely heavily on donations that are given by, guess who?! to keep them alive. In reality, the projects should be paying us in real money to do this work, but, because a lot of people are very giving, we do these projects simply because we believe we are doing something good for the world.

Every time DA comes along, a rift is formed within the community because he seems to love screwing around with how the credits are doled out. We've all seen this happen many times in the past and it seems as though this behavior is going to continue and to what end, no one knows or can answer. I'm not saying he's doing a bad job at development, rather, he's doing a horrible job at management. I for one firmly believe he should step down as a manager and stick to development, but that's very unlikely.

If we look at what BOINC really is, we can see just how fragile the system is as a whole. BOINC is run out of UC Berkeley. This tends to give us the impression that there's a huge computer complex stuffed full of mainframe computers somewhere on campus that runs BOINC. While this could possibly be true, BOINC itself does not require any sort of massive computational power at all, only connectivity to the world.

Lets look at the components of the BOINC structure for a moment. If we look at each component individually what we get is simply:
1. Project servers. These are the various servers that are owned by each project. Feeders, validators, etc. These are separate from BOINC itself. These guys are important!
2. Crunchers. That's us. The community with MILLIONS of computers available to do the work the projects require. These guys are just as important!
3. BOINC. A mysterious entity located at a college campus that connects the Projects to the Crunchers so the work can get done and reported. Pretty insignificant!

So, what we have can easily be seen as really nothing more than three separate computers. One computer connects two others together so they can communicate back and forth. Aside from being part of development for the BOINC software and a web site that shows us what we've been doing, that's all BOINC really is, a central hub, or at least that's all I see it truly being. In fact, once a person has connected to a project, BOINC really turns into nothing more than a data collection center for the crunchers with a web site that displays the crunchers results.

With this is mind, it can also be seen that if there were a few individuals that were willing to form a collation, another order could be formed that could provide the same functionality as BOINC presently does. I don't remember seeing any law that states the various projects have to use BOINC as the "door opener" to the crunchers or even connect to them in any way whatsoever.

All that's needed is a web site for the projects to "register" or connect to, that provides a method of allowing crunchers to find them. Once the projects are connected to the crunchers, the work is doled out. The crunchers do their thing and the results are reported back to the project. The project then sends the results to the "New Order" web site instead of BOINC and the results are then displayed by other third party web sites like FreeDC, Knights Who Say Ni and the others that are already in place.

Being that the BOINC software is open source, "massaging" the code a bit to communicate with, "The New Order" instead of BOINC should be a pretty simple task. The only thing that would pose a problem would be that of getting the projects to break away from BOINC and switching over to the new host. We could actually even get the bugs worked out of the code and the things crunchers want, implemented.

I see this as a viable method of essentially,"Firing" DA and his whole hierarchy and a way to take over what really should belong to the crunchers in the first place!

What say ye?

Clank [MM]
07-11-11, 03:05 AM
Wow, users have the power, I heard that as far back as 2004 when original Seti points were converted. As of now I have not seen any corrections at Aqua. Look it's this simple, FreeDC, Boincstats and the others just stop listing Aqua until the corrections are made. Mistakes need to be corrected, if not ban the project. You can't lose the value of points because of error's like this and they are taking waaay to long to correct this.

Clank [MM]
07-11-11, 03:10 AM
Just reading the Aqua thread. Seems boinc is pushing a standard credit on people. My thought is that it's time for Boinc to be replaced.

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=835&nowrap=true#11653

(http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=835&nowrap=true#11653)

Why does that have to be your answer to everything? If this is the same Dan I'm thinking of your habits never change, after you break up Boinc what's next, you going after ManBearPig?

dan
07-11-11, 05:10 AM
;19713']Why does that have to be your answer to everything? If this is the same Dan I'm thinking of your habits never change, after you break up Boinc what's next, you going after ManBearPig?

Have no idea who you are? What's your problem? Just joined hear a couple months and am getting tired of little pricks like you!

trigggl
07-11-11, 07:28 AM
Have no idea who you are? What's your problem? Just joined hear a couple months and am getting tired of little pricks like you!

Your short time here is why you don't know who he is. Have some respect for veterans (of the team) and get to know people before firing back. Please, especially, stay cordial in public forums such as at Aqua because you are an ambassador of the team and we're trying to attract people to the team. We want you here, but please be civil. Not looking down on you because I find myself venting, too, sometimes.

Let's work it out and enjoy crunching as a team.**==

Mumps
07-11-11, 10:36 AM
*sigh*

I agree with Clank. It got pretty old, pretty quick, seeing you harping on about "BOINC must die."

Sorry to see you are so angry about things, and have decided to leave the team.

trigggl
07-11-11, 02:00 PM
Sorry to see you are so angry about things, and have decided to leave the team.

Hope he didn't think I was giving him an ultimatum. I just figured if things blew up he would eventually get ticked off and leave anyways. I think he did the right thing by just walking away before it got to that. On the other hand, he could have chilled out and stuck around. Personal attacks are a no-no. [-X

I'm in a good mood today. I don't know why.

DrPop
07-11-11, 02:06 PM
Man, I leave for a weekend and the place blows up...what's happening? Is this an AQUA related thing or do we need some different thread going to solve any issues?:confused:

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 03:26 PM
Oh Dear...........

trigggl
07-11-11, 05:29 PM
Man, I leave for a weekend and the place blows up...what's happening? Is this an AQUA related thing or do we need some different thread going to solve any issues?:confused:

Isolated incident which has run its course. Move along. Nothing to see here. X_X

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 06:26 PM
Isolated incident which has run its course. Move along. Nothing to see here. X_X

These are not the Droids we're looking for.......

dan
07-11-11, 06:55 PM
In response to a few that still can't read before firing off a dismissive message. If you read the post, here is this Clank guy who I don't know and he can't know me, firing and insulting and dismissive message. I'm not this Dan guy Clank thinks I am. This is the first and last time I'll join a group, so I can't have built the reputation he thinks I have.

Most people here are good and have a lot to contribute. Did anyone pay attention to the well thought out message YoDude posted on the same subject? A few of you, don't want to share any ideas or debate any ideas, because what you think is the right way. While it's a few of you there are too many closed minds for me to put up with. Find someone else to be dismissive with.

Dan

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 11:50 PM
Well, I Clanks defense, he did say IF you were the Dan he was thinking of. So since you were not that guy, why are you so mad? I have learned the hard way that many times what is posted on forums does not always come across as the poster intended. Since readers do not have any visual or oral cues to work with, as one would have in a face to face situation, it can lead to much misinterpretation.

As to not commenting on YoDude's post, I was simply waiting for others to respond as I told him in a PM.

It is unfortunate that you have decided to leave the team. I wish you the best.

I think this is where one would say, This has been a teachable moment for us.....

DrPop
07-12-11, 12:02 AM
Yo- brings up some very valid points. I have little cash and no programming experience, so I was hoping to stay out of this one because I really don't think I personally can do much about any of it at the moment. I could boycott, I guess! ;)In the end, I highly agree with Yo- that the crunchers should be considered more...we are both the customer AND the employee at once! How crazy IS this? I just paid a whipping electric bill tonight for the honor of crunching their projects! LOL...:P

joker
07-12-11, 12:12 AM
Life is like a cache of WU's, you never know what credits you are going to get.

Fire$torm
07-12-11, 12:27 AM
Life is like a cache of WU's, you never know what credits you are going to get.

Touche!

BTW: I like the new avatar but I can't quite make up my mind what it is.....

Its either a demon skeleton singing a love ballad in a Vegas night club or a Grateful Dead fan that just toked the world's biggest hit.

joker
07-12-11, 12:33 AM
Its me singing "I'm bringing Sexy back". 276

Fire$torm
07-12-11, 12:36 AM
Its me singing "I'm bringing Sexy back". 276

=)) =)) =))

Thanks for bringing the fun back.

Clank [MM]
07-14-11, 04:47 AM
Wow, 1st apologies to Dan and the club, I could have fun here but I won't. I believe that your time should be respected and reflected accurately. Aqua's mistake throws all of it out of whack, an example would be a 1 or 2 project cruncher. Your hitting the projects you care about, putting in a couple years and your proud of your points. You realize the difference you made in your corner of the Boinc world and a mistake like Aqua's takes those efforts away to some degree. Some of these projects take commitment for what they return and my last batch of posts were comments against a couple of members lashing out. As far as you Dan, I have seen history here that involved someone named Dan and I did not like the results. Sorry for the mistake.