PDA

View Full Version : Mobo down =*( possibly CPU..

Dorsilfin
07-10-11, 03:55 PM
So there I was today... getting ready to do some overclocking now that my beast is watercooled.

I figured, lets do a prime95 for an hour or so to ensure everything is stable at stock speeds and get a benchmark for the start.

About 35 min into it, Ive been poking on the web and reading about other peoples success on the 1090T chip and being able to reach 3.8 and 4.0 ghz quite easily.

Then.. it happened...

The machine just powered off.. no warning no blue screen, just off.

so i figure um, maybe the psu blew?.. So I check everything switch the psu off and on.. then press the power button and it powers back up.. Ok weird.. hrm.. No post.. (Insert sadface)

So I figure ok.. Well Hrm.. I dont know what happened. Reseat the CPu, reseat the ram reseat the GPu still no post.. no redlights or issues on the mobo.. Hrm!

Ok time for troubleshooting. Cpu into my other computer didnt post.. Hrm ok maybe the cpu's shot. put the good cpu into the mobo.. Hrm No post.. Ok maybe the mobo's shot..

I read into it a little and my 2nd machine's mobo did have issues reconizing Phenom X6's and a bios update was out there to help them.. I figured Screw this im already frustrated with the situation as is..

What I do know, My working Dual core AMD chip didnt post in the mobo. My X6 didnt post in the working Mobo of the X2's..

I ordered a new mobo and CPU.. Figuring, If i get a new mobo and the cpu is shot as well.. Im going to kick myself and have to wait a day or two more for the cpu..

Best case, it shows up I throw in my cpu and it fires up, I stick the spare cpu aside for a rainy day.

So yup.. NOT happy with the 870Z fuzion board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130297

meh! and bah humbug

Dorsilfin
07-10-11, 03:56 PM
I just didnt feel like being down my gaming machine for a month waiting on RMA's... this way Ill get back up and running quickly then RMA the bad components and either keep them are spares. or sell them to recoup some.

Well see

joker
07-10-11, 05:00 PM
Just for fun, unplug any optical drives and try it again.

Fire$torm
07-10-11, 05:08 PM
Bummer man,

That totally bites. What a PITA.

I checked user reviews on Newegg. These reviews ---> 1 Eggs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-297&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=3#scrollFullInfo) have 3 users reporting your problem. Seems MSI had some issues with that MB.

If I may, I would suggest selling the MB on eBay. I know you have already ordered a replacement but if you want a good OC board try one of the GigaByte UD (Ultra Durable) class MBs. Three levels of UD boards, entry level* = UD3, performance level* = UD5 and extreme level* = UD7.

*Note: Level tags are my way of describing target market.

Hope it all works out for you.

F$

Dorsilfin
07-10-11, 05:47 PM
I went with an Asus sabertooth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

its was a bit more then I like to spend on a mobo, but if its as tough as its advertised it will pay for itself by being a long haul.

Dorsilfin
07-10-11, 06:03 PM
Just for fun, unplug any optical drives and try it again.

Yeah I had tried that, just mobo cpu and 1 stick of ram.. still nada.

Quite annoying considering it was toted having

Military Class Components
The MSI 870A Fuzion features the highest quality components in the industry including server-grade Solid Cap for incredible stability and lifespan, and icy choke for lower temperature, improved power efficiency and better overclocking potential.

Right.. it failboated at stock speeds. bleh

joker
07-10-11, 06:09 PM
Time to shoot somebody.

Fire$torm
07-10-11, 06:40 PM
Time to shoot somebody.

ROFL

Touche

Edit:

I went with an Asus sabertooth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

its was a bit more then I like to spend on a mobo, but if its as tough as its advertised it will pay for itself by being a long haul.

Nice find. :-bd

YoDude9999
07-11-11, 12:03 AM
EVGA or ASUS! Don't waste your time with anything else! ALWAYS check mfg. warranty!

John P. Myers
07-12-11, 12:11 PM
EVGA or ASUS! Don't waste your time with anything else! ALWAYS check mfg. warranty!

Pffft! Even though i have an MSI board in my main rig at the moment, Gigabyte > all (except for the Z68X-UD7. Great board, but same thing as the P67A-UD7)

Dorsilfin
07-12-11, 01:30 PM
parts arrived today so I went home for lunch to fiddle.

CPU is def shot. not posting on the new board.. sigh

Anyways, threw in the new cpu with it just a mild dualcore to get me by and that posted just fine. Ill refill my watercooling tonight and fire it back up for some more testing.

Fire$torm
07-12-11, 01:53 PM
Bummer on the 1090T. (Taps playing softly in the background)

I forgot to ask, did the original MB show any signs of distress? Like swollen caps or chard VRs?

It would seem to me that if both the MB and CPU got fried then something on the MB went out of spec.

Dorsilfin
07-12-11, 02:34 PM
Im not 100% sure.. Ill take a picture tonight when i get in. but one of the square modules next to the CPU socket, has what looks like a hologram on it.. that the others done, and I dont recall it being there when it came out of the box brand new.

ill be RMA'ing both the board and CPU.. when I get them back ill fire them up to ensure they work and probably dump the 1090T into the current setup and put the dualcore i got into the MSI board and stick it in the spare parts bin for a rainyday when something else craps out.

rgathright
07-12-11, 05:11 PM
Im not 100% sure.. Ill take a picture tonight when i get in. but one of the square modules next to the CPU socket, has what looks like a hologram on it.. that the others done, and I dont recall it being there when it came out of the box brand new.

ill be RMA'ing both the board and CPU.. when I get them back ill fire them up to ensure they work and probably dump the 1090T into the current setup and put the dualcore i got into the MSI board and stick it in the spare parts bin for a rainyday when something else craps out.

MSI motherboard? IMO that's why it crashed.

May I ask...

Did you increase the CPU volts?

If so, the MSI may have sent to much, even more than it indicated it would send!

Dorsilfin
07-12-11, 06:58 PM
MSI motherboard? IMO that's why it crashed.

May I ask...

Did you increase the CPU volts?

If so, the MSI may have sent to much, even more than it indicated it would send!

I wish i had gotten to the fun part of overclocking..

but no i was at stock voltage..

Im not up and running on sabertooth and a cheap dualcore for now.. starting the RMA process.. joy!

Dorsilfin
07-22-11, 10:34 PM
Well the processor is back from RMA already, and im back up and running on the 6 core underwater.

the mobo should be here by wed of next week says the MSI tracking.

Both RMA's went very smooth, AMD Actually paid for my shipping to send the cpu in so 1+ for them. MSI however was pay your own way which is fine.

On a negative note, I had my home server running today.. forgot to put the AC on before leaving for the lake for the day.. Came home to a 98 Degree server room with the Server locked up and not happy at all =( ouch

Stupid heat wave in NY

Fire$torm
07-22-11, 11:03 PM
Good news on the RMAs.

Does your server have limited cooling? I have two systems in my garage.
For the last week the garage temps have been 90+ with two days just the other side of 100F. Comps still running :-bd

Dorsilfin
07-23-11, 03:12 PM
Turns out the lockup was because of a software upgrade I did on the game server im running. it locked up again on me after rebooting it.. Rolled back the software and no problems since.. well knocking on wood its not showing up again lol

Fire$torm
07-23-11, 03:27 PM
Ahhhh. OK, cool.... (yeah I know, bad pun)

So, what game is the server for?

Dorsilfin
07-23-11, 03:34 PM
Ahhhh. OK, cool.... (yeah I know, bad pun)

So, what game is the server for?

You might laugh, but Minecraft

I run a small 20 person server for the adults who play the game and have quite an active community of people building crap lol

Fire$torm
07-23-11, 04:38 PM
You might laugh, but Minecraft

I run a small 20 person server for the adults who play the game and have quite an active community of people building crap lol

No laughing here. I have heard of Minecraft and even dl'd the installer awhile back. At some point I'll give it a go. Currently World of Tanks is taking up the majority of my gaming time. Plus I still have to get started on Call of Duty-Modern Warfare. Been waiting on that one because once I get started on CoD I'll end up playing like 8 hours a day......