PDA

View Full Version : Moo + app_info.xml

Fire$torm
07-10-11, 06:58 PM
I could use some help with this.

Did a search on the forum and the net but came up empty. So I am trying to create one from scratch. (And no, I'm not going to scratch build the Universe :P ). My goal is to setup Moo to use only one of my 4859s, GPU-0, and use the other 4850, GPU-1, for MW.

This is what I have so far

<app_info>
<app>
<name>dnetc</name>
<user_friendly_name>Moo! Wrapper</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<app_version>
<app_name>dnetc</app_name>
<version_num>102</version_name>
<api_version>6.13.0</api_version>
<file_ref>
<file_name>dnetc_1.02_windows_intelx86__ati14.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe</file_name>
<copy_file/>
</file_ref>
<plan_class>ati14</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>0.050000</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>0.898357</max_ncpus>
<flops>952806763641.623901</flops>
<coproc>
<type>ATI</type>
<count>1.000000</count>
</coproc>
<gpu_ram>262144000.000000</gpu_ram>
</app_version>
</app_info>

Questions.
What elements can I remove from the file?
What is the element tag to reference a specific GPU?
Is there something else I'm missing?

app_info.xml references:
1) BOINC Anonymous platform (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Anonymous_platform)

2) SETI@Home Thread: Optimized Astropulse 5.00.... (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=51531&nowrap=true#857243)

3) BOINC FAQ: The anonymous platform (app_info.xml), what does it do? How to properly get rid of it? (http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=499)

YoDude9999
07-10-11, 11:57 PM
I'm not an authority on this subject, but I believe that app_info.xml file is particular to each project that actually uses it. There may be some settings that can be changed to help with configuration that may help and I'm sorry that I don't know enough to truly be helpful to you with this, but I'll ask you, have you looked into the config file instead of the app_info file to see if there's anything there that may help?

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 03:02 AM
I'm not an authority on this subject, but I believe that app_info.xml file is particular to each project that actually uses it. There may be some settings that can be changed to help with configuration that may help and I'm sorry that I don't know enough to truly be helpful to you with this, but I'll ask you, have you looked into the config file instead of the app_info file to see if there's anything there that may help?

Yep. With the cc_config.xml file you can specify which GPUs to use/not use but that setting works across all projects. So it won't work the way I need it to, which leaves the app_info file.

Slicker
07-11-11, 12:03 PM
About the only way to do it is to run two boinc installations at the same time. In one, omit one gpu and in the other omit the second. The app info doesn't have anything that limites which of the gpus can be used. Gipsel had a command line setting in MW that allowed excluding a gpu, but unless he wrote the dnetc/moo app, and I don't think he did, I think you are out of luck as far as the app_info is concerned. The hard part with running two instances of boinc on the same machine is that they will use the same host guid to identify themselves which still messes with the scheduler. One possible work around is to use separate email addresses for each instance so that you essentially show up as two different people. That means that your total credit will be split across two accounts as well. In other words, there really isn't a good way to do what you want to do.

Fire$torm
07-11-11, 01:56 PM
About the only way to do it is to run two boinc installations at the same time. In one, omit one gpu and in the other omit the second. The app info doesn't have anything that limites which of the gpus can be used. Gipsel had a command line setting in MW that allowed excluding a gpu, but unless he wrote the dnetc/moo app, and I don't think he did, I think you are out of luck as far as the app_info is concerned. The hard part with running two instances of boinc on the same machine is that they will use the same host guid to identify themselves which still messes with the scheduler. One possible work around is to use separate email addresses for each instance so that you essentially show up as two different people. That means that your total credit will be split across two accounts as well. In other words, there really isn't a good way to do what you want to do.

Gosh Darn it!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK Slicker, thanks for the info.