PDA

View Full Version : Surveill@Home

Slicker
07-23-11, 01:23 PM
http://surveill.dei.uc.pt/surveill/index.php

Surveill@Home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to conduct end-to-end fine-grained monitoring of web sites. The aim of the project is to deploy a large infrastructure to support thousands of probes monitoring the Internet.
Each probe repeatedly performs a pre-defined set of web transactions on web-sites, accessing each site about 4 times per hour.
The proposed approach allows us to obtain important results on end-user visible failures and performance statics, from several thousands view points spread throughout the Internet.
With the help of the volunteer community we will achieve this ambitious goal.
We are welcoming BOINC users who want to participate in our initial monitoring effort.
This is a "non-CPU" intensive project.

Slicker
07-23-11, 02:03 PM
It pays 100 credits per day per host and will use a total of 30 seconds of CPU time per day. That's the equivalent of 288,000 credits per day at 100% CPU.

zombie67
07-23-11, 02:35 PM
FYI, there currently there is a problem with hosts with ATI GPUs. They can't attach or get tasks. I am sure this will get fixed shortly.

The good news is that they have apps for win, linux, and osx.

Edit: ....aaaaand we broke it. ;)

BLUWOLF
07-24-11, 09:09 PM
ok who killed the website? wont come up:(

Beerdrinker
07-25-11, 07:03 AM
Back in action. I just signed up...

A golden chance for a early lead...:p

Beerdrinker
07-25-11, 08:01 AM
UPS - I spoke to soon!!

Got signede up alright....But every time my pc connects for WU´s it´s showing up as a new host!!!So far I got 13 crunchers listed under my account...:D

BLUWOLF
07-25-11, 10:10 AM
i signed up which 1 should i run? app 1 or app 2

Beerdrinker
07-25-11, 11:07 AM

Have no idea. Getting no love from this project ATM...:(

BLUWOLF
07-25-11, 11:27 AM
Have no idea. Getting no love from this project ATM...:(

i had too update it twice to get it too work right

trigggl
07-25-11, 01:48 PM

I really don't think it matters. It seems to be a default of the new servers that nobody bothers to disable.

zombie67
07-25-11, 08:06 PM
It's working again. Still only for non-ATI machines.

FWIW, with alpha projects, I always select all sub-projects. You can never tell which will be issuing work. Of course, you are taking a risk with any new/alpha project. So go in knowing that you will likely have crunching time wasted or lost, credits could be reset or never exported, or it could even mess with the other sustaining projects you are also crunching. Expect things go wrong, and credit loss.

Fire$torm
07-26-11, 02:31 AM
It's working again. Still only for non-ATI machines.

FWIW, with alpha projects, I always select all sub-projects. You can never tell which will be issuing work. Of course, you are taking a risk with any new/alpha project. So go in knowing that you will likely have crunching time wasted or lost, credits could be reset or never exported, or it could even mess with the other sustaining projects you are also crunching. Expect things go wrong, and credit loss.

With that in mind, wouldn't it be worth it to run alphas in a VM? So if it crashes, or does something very bad, then no harm to your whole system?

Crazybob
07-27-11, 02:46 PM
Account creation Dissabled. :(

Slicker
07-27-11, 03:20 PM
Account creation Dissabled. :(

There site is really slow. My guess is that either the server isn't big enough or else it uses too much network bandwidth.

zombie67
07-27-11, 09:21 PM
They claim they are limiting it because of DOS concerns (see below).

But the real question: Did everyone get their account created while it was still open? I am SURE everyone did, after this was discussed ad nausea, and very recently too! RIGHT?!

This is the news post:

New registrations are temporarily closed
Hi Everyone,

The main goal of the project is to conduct end-to-end fine-grained monitoring of web sites. These web sites are monitored from different point-of-view (our host/network) and each WU contains a pre-defined set of web transactions.

Your clients doesn’t get WUs because currently Surveill@Home is limiting the number of WUs in order to limit bandwidth demanding and the possibility of using BOINC to recruit and deploy a machine base to launch denial of service style web attacks.

In the next days we will speed up WUs generation based on WUs processed and host locations.

I'll temporarily stop new registrations.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments.

Best regards,

Carlos Vaz

Beerdrinker
07-28-11, 04:57 AM
Did create account alrigth...Just waiting for them to fix the Ati-host issue...

c303a
07-28-11, 10:19 AM
I signed up for an account but only got a couple of wu's then nothing. Still waiting.

DrBob
07-28-11, 12:58 PM
Did create account alrigth...Just waiting for them to fix the Ati-host issue...The ATI host problem was corrected yesterday. ;)

Beerdrinker
07-28-11, 01:25 PM
The ATI host problem was corrected yesterday. ;)

Alrigth then!...I am attaching now....Will see if it works..:)

EDIT: It did work!!! I got 2 WU´s rigth away - and I am now doing work for SETI.USA....!

c303a
07-29-11, 01:23 PM
Not a lot of credit, but I notice that I am getting what seems like a lot of work according to the web site. Almost 200 wu's so far.

zombie67
08-08-11, 11:14 PM
I have noticed two problems running this project, and I am looking for confirmation from teammates.

1) It seems to hammer the network to the point where the "can't connect to the network" pop-up happens frequently. This has been confirmed by others on the project forum.

2) On my windows machines (but not my macs), something keeps killing the boinc client. The manager is still running, but can't connect to the localhost. CPU usage is zero. Check the processes, and the BOINC client is not running. It happens about once a day across all my windows machines. This started when I started running this project. So I have suspended this project on all my windows machines.

Since suspending, both 1 and 2 have stopped.

Is anyone else seeing #2?

Cruncher Pete
08-09-11, 01:20 AM
I have noticed two problems running this project, and I am looking for confirmation from teammates.

1) It seems to hammer the network to the point where the "can't connect to the network" pop-up happens frequently. This has been confirmed by others on the project forum.

2) On my windows machines (but not my macs), something keeps killing the boinc client. The manager is still running, but can't connect to the localhost. CPU usage is zero. Check the processes, and the BOINC client is not running. It happens about once a day across all my windows machines. This started when I started running this project. So I have suspended this project on all my windows machines.

Is anyone else seeing #2?

Yeh, I can confirm that. When I could not connect, I checked Task Manager and it was the project's WU that was taking all my 8Gb of RAM or close to it. The strange part is that it does not happen on all of my machines yet they are identical in build.

DrBob
08-09-11, 07:18 AM

Is anyone else seeing #2?Haven't noticed either problem with Surveill but will keep a closer eye on my machines and try to confirm.
I have noticed your #2 problem on one of my Win32 boxes, the culprit turned out to be FreeHal, since suspending FreeHall on that machine the problem has not re-occurred.

zombie67
08-09-11, 02:37 PM
Yeh, I can confirm that. When I could not connect, I checked Task Manager and it was the project's WU that was taking all my 8Gb of RAM or close to it. The strange part is that it does not happen on all of my machines yet they are identical in build.

Thanks. Could you please follow up to my post on their forum? I would like them to know it's not just me.

zombie67
08-09-11, 02:38 PM
Haven't noticed either problem with Surveill but will keep a closer eye on my machines and try to confirm.
I have noticed your #2 problem on one of my Win32 boxes, the culprit turned out to be FreeHal, since suspending FreeHall on that machine the problem has not re-occurred.

Hmm. I am running Freehal too, but that is not causing me any problems. It happens only when I turn on surveill.

denim
08-09-11, 02:57 PM
I still have not been able to attach. :(

Fire$torm
08-09-11, 04:05 PM
Haven't noticed either problem with Surveill but will keep a closer eye on my machines and try to confirm.

Thanks. Could you please follow up to my post on their forum? I would like them to know it's not just me.

Hmm. I am running Freehal too, but that is not causing me any problems. It happens only when I turn on surveill.

Maybe it is related to BM version?

zombie67
08-09-11, 04:52 PM
Maybe it is related to BM version?

FWIW, I am running 6.10.58.

DrBob
08-09-11, 06:17 PM

c303a
08-09-11, 06:36 PM
I'm running 6.12.33 without any problems running Freehal, wuprop, and surveill.

spingadus
08-09-11, 06:48 PM

ditto for me.

Fire$torm
08-09-11, 06:57 PM

OK, like zombie I'm using 6.10.58 on all my systems. I have not done surveil but with FH & WUProp I have never run into Zombie's network problem within BOINC. I have seen something similar but it is related to Win7 on my primary desktop when RAM utilization (It has only 3GBs) is upwards of 80%. That is because of apps not related to BOINC.

denim
08-15-11, 10:30 AM
Still cannot attach. :(

trigggl
08-15-11, 11:26 PM
Still cannot attach. :(

Still can't complete a valid task, a very unusual problem for me.

zombie67
08-16-11, 07:38 PM
Can the RSS please be turned on for this project?

http://surveill.dei.uc.pt/surveill/forum_thread.php?id=30

Message 163 - Posted: 16 Aug 2011 | 18:46:50 UTC
Hi,

A new version of the crawler application (v.1.05) has been released today.

Best regards,

Carlos Vaz

Maybe that will fix the problem where it kills BOINC on windows machines.

spingadus
08-17-11, 02:08 AM
I'm getting computation errors now on all my machines. Stopped running this for now.