PDA

View Full Version : Almost there....*Found a name*

Beerdrinker
07-27-11, 07:06 AM
Hey team..

Just finishing up a totally budget build overhere...

Specs:

AMD X2 240e (2 x 2.8 Ghz 45W TDP)
Asus M4N48 board (m-atx - onlt 1 PCI-E)
4 GB PC-6400
500GB Harddrive
300W fanless Power supply (80+ effecient)
DVD drive.

OS: Xubuntu 11.04 x64 (Ubuntu with Xcfe desktop environment)

So far this is my first experiment with Linux on a pc, which is why I choose a derivative of Ubuntu. I managed to get Boinc 6.10.59 installed through the official reposotories - also cleaned up a lot programs I will not use. (GIMP, Scan-tools and so on)

For now it is located next to by primary computer in the living room, sharing its monitor. (it has both VGA and DVI ports) and I have a spare wireless mouse/keyboard combo attaced. Since it only has a fanless PSU and 1 (!) 120mm fan, it's VERY SILENT!

I have no clue what use I will be getting from this, or if itīs gonna be a dedicated cruncher...I just had some parts, and figured I would go ahead. (so far the wife has not mentioned anything...:p)
At least I can use it as a "playground" and as ekstra cores in case of raids or such...

I already surfed a bit, and it looks like the board (and the PSU) should be able to handle a 65W CPU (which means quad-core..) and a small GPU...But that will come later, since funds is not present ATM.

Will see about some pics later today....

Have a great day!!

Mumps
07-27-11, 10:39 AM
Looks like fun beer. Ubuntu hosts make fine file/media/print servers when they're not crunching. (And even while they are. ;) )

Shouldn't be a problem getting it to even the current 6.13.1 BOINC client, and add in VirtualBox 4.1.0. You'll be glad you did.

Crazybob
07-27-11, 02:30 PM
Congrats Beer!

Bryan
07-27-11, 03:58 PM
Hey Beer, weren't you the one doing the "submerged" PC a couple of years ago? Did that work out?

Beerdrinker
07-28-11, 04:49 AM
Hey Beer, weren't you the one doing the "submerged" PC a couple of years ago? Did that work out?

No, sir. That were not me. That was some crazy german I believe...Will see if I can dig it up for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok

Beerdrinker
07-28-11, 05:01 AM
It just came to me while having my morning coffee.....

I am gonna call this the "SILENT HUNTER"....:p

Fire$torm
07-28-11, 02:01 PM
It just came to me while having my morning coffee.....

Very cool name \m/

I think it was Mike029 who was going to do or has done that.

DrPop
07-28-11, 02:03 PM

Nice, I like it! :D Must be kind of cool to enjoy the hobby without having to listen to all this FAN NOISE that drives anyone nuts when they open the door to the back room of my office right now! :)) ;)