PDA

View Full Version : Who has the dirtiest pc?

spingadus
07-31-11, 03:08 AM
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9127/dustypc4.jpg

Found this in my sisters garage. An old HP Pavillion 522c that i'm turning into a slow Xubuntu crunching box.

YoDude9999
07-31-11, 10:51 AM
EEK! It has a modem in it, that's disgusting!

Beerdrinker
07-31-11, 11:22 AM
Give it a good cleaning...Yank that Modem out - and itīs (almost) shining again..! Should make a neat little cruncher..

spingadus
07-31-11, 03:15 PM
Hehe, scary ain't it!

I put on my Mopp gear and mask last night and went to work. It's now quietly running Xubuntu and crunching away at WCG. I chose WCG so it can help out with getting my badges there. Cpu speed doesn't matter for badges, just cpu time. Took 7 hours of real time to crunch a 'help conquer cancer' wu, although they only gave me 3 hours of cpu time. Wow, even the overhead takes more cpu than a single WCG wu.

But it's crunching away :)

Oh wait, I forgot to remove the modem!

Fire$torm
07-31-11, 03:58 PM

=)) :)) :)) =))

Hehe, scary ain't it!

I put on my Mopp gear and mask last night and went to work. It's now quietly running Xubuntu and crunching away at WCG. I chose WCG so it can help out with getting my badges there. Cpu speed doesn't matter for badges, just cpu time. Took 7 hours of real time to crunch a 'help conquer cancer' wu, although they only gave me 3 hours of cpu time. Wow, even the overhead takes more cpu than a single WCG wu.

But it's crunching away :)

Oh wait, I forgot to remove the modem!

Good stuff there. And every credit helps so thanks. :-bd

spingadus
07-31-11, 04:43 PM
=)) :)) :)) =))

Good stuff there. And every credit helps so thanks. :-bd

You bet! :)

Also found out what other process was taking up the cpu. Something called wish8.4. Something to do with tcl/tk. Logged out and logged back in and it was gone.

Fire$torm
07-31-11, 05:15 PM
You bet! :)

Also found out what other process was taking up the cpu. Something called wish8.4. Something to do with tcl/tk. Logged out and logged back in and it was gone.

Never heard of wish 8.4 so I did a search and found the following at http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/wish8.4/

Wish is a simple program consisting of the Tcl command language, the Tk
toolkit, and a main program that reads commands from standard input or
from a file. It creates a main window and then processes Tcl commands.
If wish is invoked with no arguments, or with a first argument that
starts with ``-'', then it reads Tcl commands interactively from stan-
dard input. It will continue processing commands until all windows
have been deleted or until end-of-file is reached on standard input....

spingadus
07-31-11, 06:18 PM
The only programs that I opened were firefox, x11vnc, synaptics package manager and a terminal window. I'm guessing it was x11vnc, but I'll have to test that out when I get a chance.

Fire$torm
07-31-11, 08:37 PM
The only programs that I opened were firefox, x11vnc, synaptics package manager and a terminal window. I'm guessing it was x11vnc, but I'll have to test that out when I get a chance.

I just take a wild guess and say that it was invoked by another process.

CudaStream
08-05-11, 04:50 PM

ROFLMAO -- I just choked on my salad when I saw that EEK! comment on a modem! Lol That's worth a few points there!!!! :-)

spingadus
08-05-11, 07:52 PM
I totally keep forgetting to remove that thing.

On the other hand, I might ruin that box's identity.

It's staying :P