PDA

View Full Version : RSS Notifications

Bryan
11-05-10, 01:46 AM
Is there anyway to tell which project is issuing the feed without following the MORE link? There was one tonight showing a server was going to be down and the link didn't work.

Maxwell
11-05-10, 02:17 AM
From my experience (which I've been able to confirm via the RSS feeds), is that the "RSS" user posts only the forums created for a specific project. I think that post you were talking about was created in the QCN forum...

Near the top of the page is the structure of the forum you're looking at - for example, you've just mentioned was in:
Forum -> Project Discussion -> Air and Earth -> Quake-Catcher

That stuff should tell you were things are posted. When I've seen those posts, they have always been posted in the correct forums; I follow all those projects' RSS feeds, so I can double-check...

Bryan
11-05-10, 02:22 AM
Thanks, I didn't think to look up to the top!

Maxwell
11-05-10, 02:35 AM
Thanks, I didn't think to look up to the top!
I find that ironic for someone from Colorado... ;)

Bryan
11-05-10, 02:49 AM
I find that ironic for someone from Colorado... ;)

When you are at the top of the heap you get used to looking down! ;)

Maxwell
11-05-10, 03:15 AM
When you are at the top of the heap you get used to looking down! ;)
Conceded. You win. GREAT retort... :D

Bok
11-05-10, 07:13 AM
On the Free-DC forum I actually put the project name into the rss feed header for this very reason. It's an option when setting up the rss feed within vBulletin..

But I do pull all those feeds into a single forum so it's kind of necessary there.

zombie67
11-13-10, 08:17 PM
Did the RSS posts get turned off or something?

Maxwell
11-13-10, 09:43 PM
Did the RSS posts get turned off or something?
Don't think so, why? I just don't think that any of the projects with specialized forums on the boards have had any news feeds over the past few days...

zombie67
11-13-10, 10:04 PM
Don't think so, why? I just don't think that any of the projects with specialized forums on the boards have had any news feeds over the past few days...

DNETC had an RSS message a day or two ago about PPC/Linux. Showed up in my RSS reader. Never showed up here.

Maxwell
11-13-10, 10:14 PM
DNETC had an RSS message a day or two ago about PPC/Linux. Showed up in my RSS reader. Never showed up here.
Oh. The DNETC one may not have been set up here yet. I'd bet that's the issue, not that they've all been turned off...

I've seen some DNETC news come through the RSS reader that weren't posted here, but other stuff from other projects that was posted here after that.

zombie67
11-13-10, 10:52 PM
Oh. The DNETC one may not have been set up here yet. I'd bet that's the issue, not that they've all been turned off...

I've seen some DNETC news come through the RSS reader that weren't posted here, but other stuff from other projects that was posted here after that.

Ah. Okay, if that is the case.

On a similar note, I think we should have RSS subscriptions to ALL the projects. And for those not already set up, they should be posted to Other Projects forum.

If it would be helpful, I can share my RSS feed list...I think. I use Google Reader. I hope there is some way to export that.

Maxwell
11-13-10, 10:58 PM
Ah. Okay, if that is the case.

On a similar note, I think we should have RSS subscriptions to ALL the projects. And for those not already set up, they should be posted to Other Projects forum.

If it would be helpful, I can share my RSS feed list...I think. I use Google Reader. I hope there is some way to export that.
Agreed. (Though it would be a shame for RSS to be our #1 poster... ;) )

And I can create the forums. A go-ahead from the RSS feed controller (Admin, I'm guessing), and I'll get started...

Mr. Hankey
11-14-10, 03:29 PM
Some of the projects don't have their RSS feeds setup correctly. DNETC being one of them. On the big projects, I have posted on the Forum:

http://dnetc.net/forum_thread.php?id=292

But re-checking dnetc, it looks like they fixed it. I will add that to the correct location.

As for RSSing all the projects, I don't know what the number of posts would be if we did that but do we really care about that many of the projects? I don't know, I leave that up to "you guys".

zombie67
11-14-10, 06:18 PM
Hmm. My RSS reader picked it up. Maybe they fixed it first.

For all projects, there are about 5 RSS posts per day on average.

Personally, I think we should have them all. Help to make this place a "must visit daily" destination.

Maxwell
11-14-10, 07:55 PM
Hmm. My RSS reader picked it up. Maybe they fixed it first.

For all projects, there are about 5 RSS posts per day on average.

Personally, I think we should have them all. Help to make this place a "must visit daily" destination.
Agreed completely. And note that that was 5 total across all projects.

Crazybob
11-15-10, 02:42 PM
Are the RSS feeds automatically posted to the appropriate forum, or is there a link to get to them?

Maxwell
11-15-10, 02:44 PM
Are the RSS feeds automatically posted to the appropriate forum, or is there a link to get to them?
The ones that are posted go to the appropriate forum. However, relatively few projects have their RSS feeds set up to post here automatically.

Mr. Hankey
11-15-10, 08:06 PM
Ok, give me a list of the projects you want that have RSS feeds for their news sections and I will add them.

I plan to set this up like this: If we have an actual forum section for a given project I will have the project feed post there. I will create a subforum in the other projects area to drop in all of the rest of the RSS feeds.

zombie67
11-15-10, 08:51 PM
Ok, give me a list of the projects you want that have RSS feeds for their news sections and I will add them.

I plan to set this up like this: If we have an actual forum section for a given project I will have the project feed post there. I will create a subforum in the other projects area to drop in all of the rest of the RSS feeds.

Does this mean all the "other" drop into a single thread? I think they should have their own separate threads in the "other" folder. That way people see the RSS subject individually, and can discuss them accordingly. If they are in the same thread, it is like someone posting to the milestone thread. You get no info from looking at the new posts list, no way to tell if it worth reading.

Mr. Hankey
11-15-10, 09:52 PM
Does this mean all the "other" drop into a single thread? I think they should have their own separate threads in the "other" folder. That way people see the RSS subject individually, and can discuss them accordingly. If they are in the same thread, it is like someone posting to the milestone thread. You get no info from looking at the new posts list, no way to tell if it worth reading.

No, each RSS post is a unique thread, The would just all be grouped in the RSS subforum.

Maxwell
11-15-10, 09:53 PM
@#2: I'll create forums, the and forward you the list of RSS feeds to be added. If you can use your powers to get them set up, I know at least two of us would be super happy... ;)

zombie67
11-15-10, 09:54 PM
No, each RSS post is a unique thread, The would just all be grouped in the RSS subforum.

Ah, then we're on the same page. Great!

Maxwell
11-15-10, 10:45 PM
@#2: I'll create forums, the and forward you the list of RSS feeds to be added. If you can use your powers to get them set up, I know at least two of us would be super happy... ;)
Nevermind - I'll wait until Hankey is done with his stuff... :D

trigggl
11-16-10, 12:11 AM
Clicking on "New Posts" gives information overload to someone looking for non-rss posts. Any way for that to be turned off? Or is it just a catching up thing like when GregK comes back from a vacation? No offense. :-@

Mr. Hankey
11-16-10, 12:30 AM
Clicking on "New Posts" gives information overload to someone looking for non-rss posts. Any way for that to be turned off? Or is it just a catching up thing like when GregK comes back from a vacation? No offense. :-@

It is just a catching up thing, because when I set up the RSS I have it pull 3 items. Since the RSS for that site is new if there are 3 items is posts all 3. Going forward only the current occasional news Item will actually post.

Mr. Hankey
11-16-10, 12:34 AM
Nevermind - I'll wait until Hankey is done with his stuff... :D

Yea, I set it up... someone send me the list. I went through the already created forums and setup the project RSS feeds for the projects that had them (notice SETI@HOME doesn't....go figure L-) )

zombie67
11-16-10, 01:15 AM
It is just a catching up thing, because when I set up the RSS I have it pull 3 items. Since the RSS for that site is new if there are 3 items is posts all 3. Going forward only the current occasional news Item will actually post.

+1

In other words, the flood is a one-time thing for each project added. Across all projects, you will rarely see above 5/day.

Maxwell
11-16-10, 02:27 AM
+1

In other words, the flood is a one-time thing for each project added. Across all projects, you will rarely see above 5/day.
And +1 to that. I have all these on my RSS feeder, and I'm not sure I've ever seen more than 5/day. Tonight was just catch-up time...