PDA

View Full Version : NumberFields@home: New project

zombie67
08-18-11, 09:31 PM
I will say again: Do not attach if you are concerned about losing credits, poor credits, crashing machines, or whatever. It is a newborn, so expect problems. You have been warned. No complaining.

http://stat.la.asu.edu/NumberFields/

NumberFields@home searches for fields with special properties. The primary application of this research is in the realm of algebraic number theory. Number theorists can mine the data for interesting patterns to help them formulate conjectures about number fields. Ultimately, this research will lead to a deeper understanding of the profound properties of numbers, the basic building blocks of all mathematics.

NumberFields@home is based at the school of mathematics at Arizona State University. The final results of this project will be complete tables of number fields. The results are given in table form or as a searchable database.

I am pretty sure this means there is a finite project life. No idea if that means weeks, months or years. Postpone MMs at your own risk.

Only Linux and Windows currently supported
In addition, only the 64bit Linux version is available. If you are a 32 bit linux user or a mac user, please check back later. We plan to support those platforms in the near future.

Edit: However, CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT NOW! Even if you heed my warning, and don't start crunching right away. Projects occasionally close to new members when they have enough members.

Fire$torm
08-18-11, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Account created.

zombie67
08-18-11, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Account created.

Good point, and one I forgot to make. Create your account NOW! Even if you heed my warning, and don't start crunching right away.

spingadus
08-18-11, 10:51 PM
Created! thanks!

STMahlberg
08-18-11, 11:56 PM
Cool. Created

Mike029
08-19-11, 10:25 AM
Thanks, I'm in.

Mumps
08-19-11, 10:43 AM
Created. Crunched. Credit earned. Now to wait for the export. :)

DrPop
08-19-11, 12:19 PM
Thanks, account created. I will crunch a little after we hit the 100M Prima goal.:-bd

spingadus
08-19-11, 03:11 PM
Just to let you know, almost all of my tasks here have never ended. Only 1 has actually completed in the 5-6 hour time span. They have bugs to work out, obviously.

zombie67
08-19-11, 04:55 PM
Just to let you know, almost all of my tasks here have never ended. Only 1 has actually completed in the 5-6 hour time span. They have bugs to work out, obviously.

What makes you think there are bugs (other than the progress meter, obviously)? The tasks just have varying run times. Some short, some long. My longest so far is over 16 hours. But not a single error yet for me

Fogle
08-19-11, 05:13 PM
First WU has been crunching for 11 hours progress meter at zero, here's where faith comes in.:))

spingadus
08-19-11, 05:23 PM
What makes you think there are bugs (other than the progress meter, obviously)? The tasks just have varying run times. Some short, some long. My longest so far is over 16 hours. But not a single error yet for me

True. It might just be a progress meter calculation issue. In which case, I wasted my work by aborting them :(

Basically, I've had a lot of wasted cycles lately and I'm probably on the low side of patience. I'll come back to this project some time.

zombie67
08-19-11, 05:27 PM
True. It might just be a progress meter calculation issue. In which case, I wasted my work by aborting them :(

Basically, I've had a lot of wasted cycles lately and I'm probably on the low side of patience. I'll come back to this project some time.

D'oh! Be sure to check your CPU usage in situations like that.

spingadus
08-19-11, 05:43 PM
D'oh! Be sure to check your CPU usage in situations like that.

Yeah, I should be more cautious in what I do. Lol, impatience probably doesn't work well with BOINC.

Mumps
08-19-11, 07:28 PM
I set new projects up for an equal share on a single machine and then ignore it for a while. So far, no signs of really horrible problems for me, and all WU's seem to have gotten credit. I'll continue to let it simmer away while they work out the issues...

vaio
08-21-11, 09:18 AM
WU lengths are erratic, credit given even more so..........but wu's complete and validate ok.
It's fairly safe water for those considering jumping in.

STMahlberg
08-21-11, 10:59 AM
I jumped on it and it ran, and ran, and ran... and ran, then said 100% complete and ran some more. I jumped out. I don't have time for projects like that... mainly because I am horribly impatient. ;)

zombie67
08-21-11, 12:22 PM
I jumped on it and it ran, and ran, and ran... and ran, then said 100% complete and ran some more. I jumped out. I don't have time for projects like that... mainly because I am horribly impatient. ;)

I hope you didn't abort the task. Nothing was wrong with it.

STMahlberg
08-21-11, 02:17 PM

I hope you didn't abort the task. Nothing was wrong with it.

It was insolent, so I had it eliminated. >:)

trigggl
08-21-11, 09:48 PM
Did the site reset? I'm getting a password prompt when I try to go to it. When the main page says "It Works!", that's only a good sign during initial install.

zombie67
08-22-11, 09:16 AM
Did the site reset? I'm getting a password prompt when I try to go to it. When the main page says "It Works!", that's only a good sign during initial install.

It did not ask me to log in again.

zombie67
08-22-11, 09:18 AM
Looks like I opened this thread in the wrong dub forum. Can someone please move it to "Mathematics"?

Bok
08-22-11, 09:24 AM
Moved.