PDA

View Full Version : I'm out of the loop... Where go NVidia?

Maxwell
08-19-11, 06:16 PM
So, not only am I out of the loop, but I'm lazy as well, and don't have time to fully catch up on the boards. Here is the question:

I have the 570 and the 295 humming along happily on PG. I'm barely enough in the loop to know that PG dropped their credits lately, and no longer kick so much ass. The question is whether I should leave them on PG, or move them elsewhere for better credit in the short term? Sometime during my absence, I got dangerously close to 60M (like, I should be there by tomorrow morning). I plan to run it up to 100M eventually, but if there are other low-hanging MM fruit I can attack in the meantime, I'd love to get on that. I saw some thread about DRTG... should I be there, or stick where I am now?

Fire$torm
08-19-11, 06:19 PM
So, not only am I out of the loop, but I'm lazy as well, and don't have time to fully catch up on the boards. Here is the question:

I have the 570 and the 295 humming along happily on PG. I'm barely enough in the loop to know that PG dropped their credits lately, and no longer kick so much ass. The question is whether I should leave them on PG, or move them elsewhere for better credit in the short term? Sometime during my absence, I got dangerously close to 60M (like, I should be there by tomorrow morning). I plan to run it up to 100M eventually, but if there are other low-hanging MM fruit I can attack in the meantime, I'd love to get on that. I saw some thread about DRTG... should I be there, or stick where I am now?

Right now many of us are on DistrRT@Home. A.K.A DiRT.

Beerdrinker
08-19-11, 06:19 PM
I say go DistTRGen.

1. the team could use the production
2. Better credits than PG from what I hear.
3. It could keep us in the loop for Top3 overall.

Maxwell
08-20-11, 12:39 AM
OK, thanks. Next question: is the app_info file still working? Or do I have to do my own research on that?

DrPop
08-20-11, 12:42 AM
I don't believe there is any need for an app_info. Just attach and let 'er rip. However, watch your % GPU utilization. If it starts dropping, or is low, cut a core out from what BOINC uses for CPU projects, so it can pony up to the GPU for DiRT. Zombie & Bryan showed me how this also works well for Moo!. Very impressive GPU credits if you don't starve them. :D

STMahlberg
08-20-11, 11:09 AM
I don't believe there is any need for an app_info. Just attach and let 'er rip. However, watch your % GPU utilization. If it starts dropping, or is low, cut a core out from what BOINC uses for CPU projects, so it can pony up to the GPU for DiRT. Zombie & Bryan showed me how this also works well for Moo!. Very impressive GPU credits if you don't starve them. :D

First, I'll apologize for my ignorance...

%GPU utilization???

I seem to be doing fine for Moo; I get over 500K a day on my 3 ATIs but I do have my preferences set to use only 90% of the time for all cores. This prevents my system from locking up.

However, DiRT is running on my rig that has only a single core which is on Primaboinca. My RAC for DiRT is 35K I believe which is from the GTX460 GPU. Should I ditch the work on the single core to free it up?

Beerdrinker
08-20-11, 11:19 AM
First, I'll apologize for my ignorance...

%GPU utilization???

I seem to be doing fine for Moo; I get over 500K a day on my 3 ATIs but I do have my preferences set to use only 90% of the time for all cores. This prevents my system from locking up.

However, DiRT is running on my rig that has only a single core which is on Primaboinca. My RAC for DiRT is 35K I believe which is from the GTX460 GPU. Should I ditch the work on the single core to free it up?

YES!

EDIT: I still canīt see you on our team??

STMahlberg
08-20-11, 11:38 AM
YES!

EDIT: I still canīt see you on our team??

I freed up that core and I'm an idiot... I had a half-dozen projects with no team selected.

Maxwell
08-20-11, 01:19 PM
With the old DiRT app, even with a full CPU allocated to it, you wouldn't get 100% utilization. The new one looks much better. And I've got the machines on it now, so they should be spitting out credits soon. Depending on how it goes, I'll run it up to 2.5M or 5M. Maybe higher if it's really good.

Fire$torm
08-20-11, 01:39 PM
I freed up that core and I'm an idiot... I had a half-dozen projects with no team selected.

Ah. Been there...... Done that. Glad I'm not the only one. :D

DrPop
08-20-11, 01:45 PM
@Maxwell- glad to see you back! ;) The credits are good, I hope you will stay for a big MM there; it will help us get past LAF before SIC* waves at us as they pass. So thanks.@STM- yep, allow at least one core for DiRT, and that GTX 460 will pump out some sweet credits! :D. If you download MSI Afterburner, it will let you raise the volts to 1050, raise the core to 900 and put the memory on 1800. Fan at 65 to 70 percent and you will be cranking in that 460! I am using 2 at the moment. Also, that is the program that let's you monitor %GPU usage. Should be pegged around 97% or so if you give it a core. ;)

Mumps
08-20-11, 05:36 PM
@Maxwell- glad to see you back! ;) The credits are good, I hope you will stay for a big MM there; it will help us get past LAF before SIC* waves at us as they pass. So thanks.@STM- yep, allow at least one core for DiRT, and that GTX 460 will pump out some sweet credits! :D. If you download MSI Afterburner, it will let you raise the volts to 1050, raise the core to 900 and put the memory on 1800. Fan at 65 to 70 percent and you will be cranking in that 460! I am using 2 at the moment. Also, that is the program that let's you monitor %GPU usage. Should be pegged around 97% or so if you give it a core. ;)

Whatever you do don't raise the volts to 1050. :)

Fire$torm
08-20-11, 05:51 PM

=)) I didn't catch that!

STMahlberg
08-20-11, 05:59 PM

=)) I didn't catch that!

Just remember if you let the smoke out, it won't run anymore. :)

DrPop
08-20-11, 06:06 PM
OK...well, you know what I meant - 1050 mV. :p :D It just says "1050" on the slider in Afterburner, and yes it's completely safe - with a good cooler it won't even get out of the 60's temp wise. :cool: