PDA

View Full Version : So are we giving up on our 1st place

Clank [MM]
08-24-11, 01:10 AM
We are going to be passed in a couple of days by the French. Any thoughts?......

Fire$torm
08-24-11, 03:04 AM
Unfortunately many GPU crunchers on this team stopped crunching this a long time ago. I stayed on MW for over a year but folded when I excepted the fact that there just wasn't enough support to sustain our lead.

Maybe LaF knows something we don't. MW just might follow Aqua's lead and bail due to the backlash of CreditNew. Bottom line, the team lacks enough resources to fight on so many fronts. I wish it was otherwise as I really do like the "Science" of MW just as I did Aqua. I would say more but I'm tired of sounding like a broken record. Sorry Clank.

Cruncher Pete
08-24-11, 03:57 AM
Maybe LaF knows something we don't. MW just might follow Aqua's lead and bail due to the backlash of CreditNew. Bottom line, the team lacks enough resources to fight on so many fronts. I wish it was otherwise as I really do like the "Science" of MW just as I did Aqua. I would say more but I'm tired of sounding like a broken record. Sorry Clank.

I kind of agree with you here. At our present circumstances as a team we are not able to communicate effectively with all members of our team. As such LAF is an expert and their members follow the leader without question. Never the Less, in my situation, I will make all my machines on GPU NNW and give MilkyWay a chance for a few days since I have not crunched it for awhile. After a couple of days, I will work out if it is worth while pursuing this line of thought on my part of chasing MM or another project would be more suitable As in terms of numbers we can not compete against LAF. Having said that, I will not give up easy...Go SETI.USA, Go..:Db-)

STMahlberg
08-24-11, 04:07 AM
;22423']We are going to be passed in a couple of days by the French. Any thoughts?......

It is unfortunate that we are going to lose our position on MW. I really wish this Team had the firepower to defend and dominate all the projects available... maybe someday.

Unfortunately many GPU crunchers on this team stopped crunching this a long time ago. I stayed on MW for over a year but folded when I excepted the fact that there just wasn't enough support to sustain our lead.

Fire$torm, you have really hit on something for me in your post that has made me remember why I even started crunching. I didn't do it for the credits; hell, I didn't even know about the credits then... I did it for the "science". And I just have realized, I've become a credit whore. I've been trying to finagle ways to churn out more credit and build a better system to increase that as well.

I'm switching back to MW! :)

spingadus
08-24-11, 05:13 AM
Please correct me, but isn't this more of an amd project than nvidia? From what I've read in the MW forums, nvidia cards don't do so well. How are the cpu credits for n-body? Would cpu crunching even make a dent in LAF's output? Just curious.

STMahlberg
08-24-11, 05:58 AM
Please correct me, but isn't this more of an amd project than nvidia? From what I've read in the MW forums, nvidia cards don't do so well. How are the cpu credits for n-body? Would cpu crunching even make a dent in LAF's output? Just curious.

My understanding is that they were at one time; however. I don't know if that is true anymore with the newer nVidia cards. I can comment more on the subject in a day or two; I switched over and now have 3 HD5870s and 2 GTX-460s running MW. The 460's appear to be doing well but can't be sure of that until the WUs are validated.

trigggl
08-24-11, 06:15 AM
;22423']We are going to be passed in a couple of days by the French. Any thoughts?......

I can put an HD3870 on it when I get a case for the computer formerly known as KIM.

Fire$torm
08-24-11, 11:58 AM

My understanding is that they were at one time; however. I don't know if that is true anymore with the newer nVidia cards. I can comment more on the subject in a day or two; I switched over and now have 3 HD5870s and 2 GTX-460s running MW. The 460's appear to be doing well but can't be sure of that until the WUs are validated.

Correct. The MW GPU app has been optimized for ATI/AMD. The CUDA app they had didn't do much better then their CPU app. There was an attempt to create an OpenCL app for MW's n-Body but that app seems to have been abandoned.

STMahlberg
08-24-11, 12:27 PM
Correct. The MW GPU app has been optimized for ATI/AMD. The CUDA app they had didn't do much better then their CPU app. There was an attempt to create an OpenCL app for MW's n-Body but that app seems to have been abandoned.

I just looked at the GTX-460s and both show (cuda_opencl) behind all of the work units. Is that something different from the n-Body? Which I have no idea what that even means. :-??

Fire$torm
08-24-11, 01:31 PM
I just looked at the GTX-460s and both show (cuda_opencl) behind all of the work units. Is that something different from the n-Body? Which I have no idea what that even means. :-??

n-Body is a second app that MW produced with a different set of search parameters and data set. I believe it is CPU only. What you are running is the CUDA app I spoke, errr misspoke, about previously. Not sure how the credits for that app compare to the ATI Stream app.

Crazybob's Son
08-24-11, 01:45 PM
I can run my 5850 out of work on Moo and move over to MW. Might as well give them a run for their money.

To quote Bill Pullman with a slight change in verbage...

"We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to crunch on!"

NJCaNS
08-25-11, 02:02 AM
SIC is out producing LAF 2 to 1 on MW so they should take 1st from LAF eventually. We'd need about a 66% increase over today's output just to keep pace with LAF here. Also looks like CP and Steve are almost 1 million of the 3 million credits SUSA produced today. WOW!! Thats called impact players.

DrPop
08-25-11, 02:24 AM
My problem with it is that I can get 300K+ per day from Moo! and DnetC with my 5870. I wish MW would give the same, but it's not even close. :( So, at the very least until we pass LAF, I will be on the highest credit projects I can to keep SIC* from swamping us that much sooner if nothing else.

Crazybob
08-25-11, 03:24 PM
CPU credits won't put a dent in the deficit. I don't know that the 3 AMD cards I have will do better on MW the Dessert Gen. They are older 4800 series.

Crazybob
08-25-11, 03:40 PM
I might have entered this conversation a little late, but it looks like 18 days untill they pass us at our current production. From the statistics on BOINC on this machine, it was getting at best 84K/day on MOO. I just ran a couple of MW units and figure at best I can get 80,500/day on MW. Won't hurt too much to switch back.:)

Mr. Hankey
08-25-11, 08:47 PM
I just hit my 100M on moo, so I can clear out my remaining work and move over my 5 - 5800 ati cards.

Clank [MM]
08-26-11, 01:35 AM
I like the support that showed up. Already passed LAF for dailies. I'm seeing members from all over jumping in. Even see members from all 5 food groups. Turn it up guys, if not for any thing else the team unity showing up is cool.

Crazybob
08-26-11, 08:52 AM
Go get'm Mr. H!

Fogle
08-26-11, 11:03 AM
OK you guys convi:pnced me I was going to stay on DNETC till 100 Million (long crunch) I'm switching back to MW now with my 2 ATI cards. I need 100 Million in MW as well. (Still long crunch) but will get fewer credits for the team. Be sure we still want to take the credit hit as a tem though. :p

DrPop
08-26-11, 03:46 PM
Doggonit! Where's Harley when you need him? :D OK, you guys are convincing me...I'll switch my 5870 over to MW. But, if they get close to clobbering us on Moo! when we stop crunching that...well, let's keep a good eye on that one, please?

Fire$torm
08-26-11, 05:55 PM
Doggonit! Where's Harley when you need him? :D OK, you guys are convincing me...I'll switch my 5870 over to MW. But, if they get close to clobbering us on Moo! when we stop crunching that...well, let's keep a good eye on that one, please?

I'm crunching both. My 3 4850s on MW (hmmm better double check that) and the 5830 on Moo. BTW: All my CPUs are crunching Dirt. Nice boost there. \m/

Fire$torm
08-30-11, 11:24 PM
Using BOINCstats and today's output as of 10:56 EDT it will take SIC 256.25 days to pass us but we are slightly outproducing the Frenchies. Unfortunately maintaining this project is costing us in our third place fight in overall.

Crazybob's Son
08-31-11, 12:28 AM
If anyone has a spare (edit removed Nvidia) GPU lying around I may be coming into a P4 box with a PCI-e slot. Depending on the power supply and other components I'm going to try and upgrade as much as I can with what I have lying around my office here and then could toss another GPU into that one as well.

- CBS

DrPop
09-01-11, 11:44 AM
Using BOINCstats and today's output as of 10:56 EDT it will take SIC 256.25 days to pass us but we are slightly outproducing the Frenchies. Unfortunately maintaining this project is costing us in our third place fight in overall.

I have had to make an executive decision for my ATI box...I switched it back to DNETC because it favors the 3rd place overall strategy.

Beerdrinker
09-01-11, 04:49 PM
I have had to make an executive decision for my ATI box...I switched it back to DNETC because it favors the 3rd place overall strategy.

Keeping a steady course there sir!....Good move..

I am plugging along on a steady pace on DistTRGen...And will fall back on PB/PG combo if they go down....(until Sep that is...Spinhenge focus..)