PDA

View Full Version : SETI.USA Bash Brothers Group

DrPop
11-06-10, 05:49 AM
I just created this group, and it is open for anyone to join who shares the same philosophy on crunching.
The idea was inspired by S.G., as I watched them add wave after wave of crunchers to the last PG challenge, and they narrowly defeated us. They won because of the last wave of big rigs they could call on to crunch one round, and then return to their pet projects.

Everyone crunches and donates their resouces with different goals in mind. That's something unique about our team. I realized after building the Beerinator, that my goal with crunching is not a personal one, it's a team goal. I'm not really into all this for some personal reason, I'm in it for this team. I want to see our team grow and succeed, holding onto positions we've fought so hard to attain and take new ones over time.

I have made this group for anyone willing to be called in on short notice to defend a position, or make a concentrated push to obtain a higher team rank in any project.
I am OK with being the only member; it won't hurt my feelings if no one else ever joins. However, I would certainly love to see some others join this group and put "team" first. Just so the goal is clear, the object is not to pull the Bash Bro. off his or her pet project(s) for lengthy periods of time; it is for when the team needs some quick, raw power at it's disposal.
I hope to create a catchy logo for signatures of all Bash Brothers as well.
Anyone on this team has my permission to contact me from here on out and ask me to crunch any project where the team rank may be in jeopardy, and I will seriously consider any legitamate request.

Beerdrinker
11-06-10, 06:00 AM
I can certanly understand your arguements!! Thatīs why I came up with the idea about the cluster in the early days of this team...Same statement...Different approach

Hope you get this going!

Mike029
11-06-10, 02:53 PM
I can certanly understand your arguements!! Thatīs why I came up with the idea about the cluster in the early days of this team...Same statement...Different approach

Hope you get this going!

I hope we can boost the cluster and get it producing again. I was hoping someone could reach out to the people with the boxes and see what needs to be done.

Add me to this or tell me how to join a group. :x

Beerdrinker
11-06-10, 02:57 PM
I hope we can boost the cluster and get it producing again. I was hoping someone could reach out to the people with the boxes and see what needs to be done.

Me too. The cluster had some succes a while ago...But after the "comotion" in late 2009 and spring 2010 - it never became the same....

Fire$torm
11-06-10, 03:14 PM
Just an FYI: There is or was a group one our team that has/had a similar objective.
From the "Old Board"

Project Mobilization Force (PMF)

Mission Statement:

The PMF is a group of volunteer SUSA team members who have agreed to forgo their personal crunching goals as the need arises. They have agreed to reallocate a portion of their available crunching resources for PMF mobilizations and all of their assets in emergency mobilizations.

The PMF is not meant to be SUSA’s “main” strike force. The PMF was formed to give SUSA a means to direct large amounts of processing power to a project on very short notice and to help evaluate, strategize, coordinate, and spearhead project or team assaults.

I like your idea. My main goal is to support TFP-MW@H & Aqua. Since that is accomplished with my i7, I would be willing to lend my other boxes to "The Cause".

joker
11-06-10, 05:21 PM
I dont have a lot of processsing power but im in. :)>-

Crazybob
11-06-10, 05:56 PM
You can count me in too. Right now I only have 4800 GPU's at home and they are all on MW to get the biggest bang. My son has a NVIDIA card and has it on my account doing Collatz. All my 64 bit boxes run AQUA to maximize production. The only thing not going for maximum points are the 32 bit CPU's (Is this a restricted area?) I was hoping to make a splash in a project that wasn't being hammered by the other teams and was doing a good job until they noticed me. RSA. Now they are beating me again, so I don't know how much longer to reamin there. Was told that MW is giving the highest credit for the 32 bit CPU's.

I'm always up for a good fight, I mean competition.:cool:

DrPop
11-06-10, 07:21 PM
Thank you all for the positive comments.
@F$, thanks for the info about the previous PMF. I actually got a nice PM from someone explaining all the past efforts in this direction to me. I am encouraged we can make a difference.

If anyone wishes to add or remove themselves from the group at any time, simply mouse over the down arrow to the right of "Community" at the top of the forum screen. Click on "Groups" and then find SETI.USA Bash Bro.s

We are beginning the long journey to reclaim our former glory. I have no doubt that our team is up to the challenge.:cool:

Beerdrinker
11-07-10, 01:53 AM
Thank you all for the positive comments.
@F$, thanks for the info about the previous PMF. I actually got a nice PM from someone explaining all the past efforts in this direction to me. I am encouraged we can make a difference.

If anyone wishes to add or remove themselves from the group at any time, simply mouse over the down arrow to the right of "Community" at the top of the forum screen. Click on "Groups" and then find SETI.USA Bash Bro.s

We are beginning the long journey to reclaim our former glory. I have no doubt that our team is up to the challenge.:cool:

We sure are!!

Shock and awe....Attack, regroup....attack! :cool:

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 12:20 PM
I find this idea intriguing. My only real personal goal is to become one of the top 10 producers for Seti.USA both in accumulated credit and credit per day on a consistent basis. I’m not a stone chaser since this will happen naturally over time.

For the most part at least for my rigs that will handle it, I load all 48 projects that I currently participate in and let the BOINC manager figure out the rest. I switch over for the challenges and the switch back to my normal routine when they are finished.

I like this idea and I would be delighted to participate in this endeavor; I currently have 13 cores that I can relinquish to the campaign at a moment’s notice.

I shall join this group immediately.

trigggl
11-07-10, 03:10 PM
1) I'd like to join.

2) Can we call it something other than "Bash Brothers"? You don't want to go to the wrong Bash Brothers especially if you're at work.

DrPop
11-07-10, 05:51 PM
Hahaha, well sure - we can change the name if everyone would like that. I had no idea that "Bash Brothers" had any kind of negative connotation.

I got the idea for the name from back in the days when Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire were the "Bash Brothers" for the A's...they drilled out homer after homer that year...some real slugging power.
So I figured this was like the "SETI.USA Sluggers group"...

I'm up for a vote on the name if ya'll want. We should decide on a name before I make the logo, though!;)

trigggl
11-07-10, 06:43 PM
Hahaha, well sure - we can change the name if everyone would like that. I had no idea that "Bash Brothers" had any kind of negative connotation.

I got the idea for the name from back in the days when Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire were the "Bash Brothers" for the A's...they drilled out homer after homer that year...some real slugging power.

I'm up for a vote on the name if ya'll want. We should decide on a name before I make the logo, though!;)
I guess I just need to get my mind out of the gutter. I was in St. Louis and a Cardinals fan when MM hit 70 in a season and I do remember them talking about that.

How about SETI.USA Piranha? Essentially, that's what we would be doing. Swarming to crunch one victim.

joker
11-07-10, 08:13 PM
I'll stick with Bash Brothers.

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 11:50 PM

I like the SETI.USA Sluggers myself. :)

joker
11-08-10, 12:30 AM
Im going to be confrontational here but the guy who starts the group should be able to name it as he see's fit. Had you started your own group, you could name it. Just my 2 cents.

thepossum1
11-08-10, 01:06 AM
Suppose my POS is in :) Name makes no nevermind to me, all suggested have good points.

heheh not baseball fan, so Bash Bros. was lost on me--I just liked it because we're gonna bash everyone in our way. And ditto for Sluggers--bash 'em with our Louisville Sluggers :P Swing batta, batta, batta

Piranhas is good--more voracious than goldfish in a sea of sharks, more more more

trigggl
11-08-10, 07:23 AM
Im going to be confrontational here but the guy who starts the group should be able to name it as he see's fit. Had you started your own group, you could name it. Just my 2 cents.

Oh YEAH! Well I say the guy that started the group can name it whatever he wants! Oh, that was your point, too? Nevermind.

Mike029
11-08-10, 11:25 AM
Name don't matter to me. Group theme is whats important. :p

Fire$torm
11-08-10, 04:50 PM
I think it should be the "SETI.USA Teddy Bears" (a.k.a. "The Fuzzy Wuzzies")

The Mascot...
http://www.threadsofatlantis.com/cosplaycostumes/akirabear/bear_attack.jpg

Slicker
11-08-10, 06:36 PM
Biggest RAC? Most credits? 1st place in a challenge? They often conflict. For example, I can average 215K/day on AQUA verses only 18K on PG LLR. Is winning a PG challenge worth the 90% loss in credits? That depends how large a lead we have in total BOINC, our position in other projects and how close we are to losing them, how long the challenge runs, etc. I don't believe we are still in a position where our team can remain #1 and compete in all challenges and take #1 in each of those as well. We seem to have many differences of opinion on what our goals should be and the order of importance. Until we can agree on them, we will work together about as well as the Dallas Cowboys - lots of talent but crummy results again and again.

Summary: If it is a high paying project challenge, I'm in.

Fogle
11-08-10, 06:55 PM
I am in as well, actually I always participate in the challenges so I guess I'm in by default. Good point there about losing top over all #1 position due to crunching challenges. I think it would take a lot to know how many should participate in the challenges while leaving some of our resources behind. Perhaps we could suggest which type of CPU would be best suited for a challenge then if we were close to winning but needed some extra omph, then we could go all in.

joker
11-08-10, 07:04 PM
I think it should be the "SETI.USA Teddy Bears" (a.k.a. "The Fuzzy Wuzzies")

I am Tetsuo! :-B

Beerdrinker
11-09-10, 01:25 AM
Biggest RAC? Most credits? 1st place in a challenge? They often conflict. For example, I can average 215K/day on AQUA verses only 18K on PG LLR. Is winning a PG challenge worth the 90% loss in credits? That depends how large a lead we have in total BOINC, our position in other projects and how close we are to losing them, how long the challenge runs, etc. I don't believe we are still in a position where our team can remain #1 and compete in all challenges and take #1 in each of those as well. We seem to have many differences of opinion on what our goals should be and the order of importance. Until we can agree on them, we will work together about as well as the Dallas Cowboys - lots of talent but crummy results again and again.

Summary: If it is a high paying project challenge, I'm in.

I agree on this. However I think itīs important to show the world, that we are not a dead fish in the water (so to speak) So I am participating in these last 2 PG challenges, and hope that we make it - so we come out of this as #1 after we have been working this series over that last year!

After that. I say we consolidate our position and production - and focus, focus and more focus!

STMahlberg
11-09-10, 07:25 AM
Oh YEAH! Well I say the guy that started the group can name it whatever he wants! Oh, that was your point, too? Nevermind.

LOL :)

Damn character limits... I've got your too short right here pal. ~X(

DrPop
11-09-10, 12:00 PM
LOL :)

Damn character limits... I've got your too short right here pal. ~X(

WARNING: graphic anatomical crudeness ahead:

Hey STM - How did it know your "character" was too short? Did it have one of those new full body x-ray scanners on you?!:D ;) hehehe...couldn't resist!

I agree with you Beer and Slicker - we need to focus on high production projects to retake the #1 overall slot. It's the only way it will ever happen again.
If anyone has bothered to look lately, our team is not that big anymore, either. S.G. Has more members, and LAF has over 1000 more than we do. Crunch3r is right - upgrading is a must, but so is recruiting.

I also agree that PG kills our RAC, but we should do our best to take the crown. We only need a strong showing in the last 2 to do it. Then we don't ever have to do a low paying PG again if we don't want to.

Beerdrinker
11-09-10, 01:07 PM

Hey STM - How did it know your "character" was too short? Did it have one of those new full body x-ray scanners on you?!:D ;) hehehe...couldn't resist!

I agree with you Beer and Slicker - we need to focus on high production projects to retake the #1 overall slot. It's the only way it will ever happen again.
If anyone has bothered to look lately, our team is not that big anymore, either. S.G. Has more members, and LAF has over 1000 more than we do. Crunch3r is right - upgrading is a must, but so is recruiting.

I also agree that PG kills our RAC, but we should do our best to take the crown. We only need a strong showing in the last 2 to do it. Then we don't ever have to do a low paying PG again if we don't want to.

I have been watching alrigth.....Looks like we are loosing...But I know in my heart that we will return...Maybe we will not be #1 sometime soon....But we will damn sure show them that we are going down figthing!!

STMahlberg
11-09-10, 02:08 PM
Just a reminder... this forum is open for all to see.

I was writing a post in response to what Beerdrinker said then checked the forum setting and realized that ANYONE can read this.

For now I think we should forgo our TEAM issues/strategy conversation in here until we have a TEAM Forum, which appears that we don't have one at the moment.

Beerdrinker
11-09-10, 05:31 PM
Just a reminder... this forum is open for all to see.

I was writing a post in response to what Beerdrinker said then checked the forum setting and realized that ANYONE can read this.

For now I think we should forgo our TEAM issues/strategy conversation in here until we have a TEAM Forum, which appears that we don't have one at the moment.

Good observation there! :cool:

Maxwell
11-09-10, 07:28 PM
Personally, I like having the open forums. One less thing to pay attention to, and avoids any permission issues.

STMahlberg
11-09-10, 11:45 PM
Personally, I like having the open forums. One less thing to pay attention to, and avoids any permission issues.

So you don't think that it really matters if SG or Le Frog members can see what we are planning?

Maxwell
11-10-10, 12:28 AM
So you don't think that it really matters if SG or Le Frog members can see what we are planning?
Except in some highly specialized applications (e.g., Pentathlon), no. Credit strategy: Aqua for CPU. DNETC for 58xx GPU. etc. They know that. Primegrid challenges: crunch it *really* hard. Duh.

So no, I don't think that's an issue. Plus, one of the points of contention on the old boards was "who gets access" to that protected area. Here, now, everyone's equal.

zombie67
11-10-10, 12:43 AM

Meh. #1 overall just means you have more ATI cards running DNETC. It's become a meaningless stat.

STMahlberg
11-10-10, 01:05 AM
Except in some highly specialized applications (e.g., Pentathlon), no. Credit strategy: Aqua for CPU. DNETC for 58xx GPU. etc. They know that. Primegrid challenges: crunch it *really* hard. Duh.

So no, I don't think that's an issue. Plus, one of the points of contention on the old boards was "who gets access" to that protected area. Here, now, everyone's equal.

Your points are valid and well taken; I shall post my thoughts then. :)

STMahlberg
11-10-10, 02:29 AM
I have been watching alrigth.....Looks like we are loosing...But I know in my heart that we will return...Maybe we will not be #1 sometime soon....But we will damn sure show them that we are going down figthing!!

So looking at the stats it appears that SG is going to hand us our proverbial asses in about 20 days according to my math. Checking members we have ~1,500, that is the number of members producing >= 1 credit per day; compare that to SG who has ~2,000 based on the same criteria.

I haven’t looked at comparing other factors yet just member numbers which are out producing us by 4.7 million credits per day.

Meh. #1 overall just means you have more ATI cards running DNETC. It's become a meaningless stat.

I understand what you are saying Zombie67 but I don’t agree with that; I understand that there are those that say they earned their credits the hard way, i.e. running cores alone; I applaud those whom have had to do that but it is 2010 and I think that is “horse and buggy whip” mentality.

Should we simply shutdown our ATI and Nvidia cards and drop even further back in rank and merely claim the stats and ranks that LAF and S.G. hold are meaningless?

… I agree with you Beer and Slicker - we need to focus on high production projects to retake the #1 overall slot. It's the only way it will ever happen again. If anyone has bothered to look lately, our team is not that big anymore, either. S.G. Has more members, and LAF has over 1000 more than we do. Crunch3r is right - upgrading is a must, but so is recruiting. …

I do agree with crunching high production projects, upgrading and recruiting. The first one is easy to focus on and recruiting is simply going to take time and consistency.

Upgrading is a different story; obviously it takes money and at times a lot of it… These are hard economic times for all of us and the future is uncertain, I know that every dime I’ve been making has been going to paying off debt and saving for a down on a small house or condo; so upgrading wasn’t in any of my rigs immediate future.

Theoretically we have 12,766 members according to BOINC Stats; I know that’s probably not completely accurate but bear with me… the old board lists 2,306, as of this post, there are only 49 members on this board.

There are two things that I have not heard mentioned, retention and reacquisition. What I mean by that is we need to make an effort to retain the members that we already have who are active. And we need to try and reacquire members who were on the board at one time and encourage them to come back.

I think retention of members is important; they need to want to come back to the board. I’m sure that many of you probably think that I am a lunatic with all of my wild “Girls with Guns” posts and my maniacal rants, raves and blogging. I know these things have absolutely nothing to do with any of the projects or Team goals… I hope that at least I have been somewhat interesting and entertaining; personally, I don’t want to read about projects ALL of the time, I need a distraction once in a while.

Also I think we need to make an effort towards reacquisition of old members; we should try and contact them. I know this would be a painstaking task but I believe that it would be worth the effort, so much in fact that I am willing to work on this myself.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:

An additional thought just crossed my mind... Assimilation. There are many smaller Teams out there, how about we open dialogue with them and see if they would be willing to be incorporated into SETI.USA. I'm talking about the whole team not just some of their members, that would be poaching and I think that's unethical.

zombie67
11-10-10, 02:57 AM
I understand what you are saying Zombie67 but I don’t agree with that; I understand that there are those that say they earned their credits the hard way, i.e. running cores alone; I applaud those whom have had to do that but it is 2010 and I think that is “horse and buggy whip” mentality.

Should we simply shutdown our ATI and Nvidia cards and drop even further back in rank and merely claim the stats and ranks that LAF and S.G. hold are meaningless?

Eh? I never said anything about shutting down anything. We should continue to use the resources we have. For example, #1 in project blah means we are #1 in blah. If we aren't #1 there yet, we should try to be.

Being #1 in DNETC doesn't mean we are #1 in BOINC. But being #1 in BOINC means you must be #1 in DNETC. And nothing else matters, really. Therefore total credits have become meaningless.

STMahlberg
11-10-10, 04:40 AM

Eh? I never said anything about shutting down anything. We should continue to use the resources we have. For example, #1 in project blah means we are #1 in blah. If we aren't #1 there yet, we should try to be.

Being #1 in DNETC doesn't mean we are #1 in BOINC. But being #1 in BOINC means you must be #1 in DNETC. And nothing else matters, really. Therefore total credits have become meaningless.

I didn't say you did, I was simply posing the question which I thought was the logical next step in the debate... If total credits have become meaningless then why crunch at all?

What I probably should have said is that I don't believe that the credits are meaningless. Yes DNETC seems to be fairly libral with their credits but even if they reduced the credits by a factor of 10 or 100, we would still be exactly where we are along with the rest of the teams.

Let me put this another way, if we were #1 in Einstein and that pushed us into the #1 position overall, doesn't that just mean we have more cores running than anyone else? Does that suddenly make the credits meaningless?

Video card technology has jumped leaps and bounds past CPU's and also how tasks are processed by each; core technology will catch up eventually. And I believe we will catch up too.

zombie67
11-10-10, 10:38 AM
I didn't say you did, I was simply posing the question which I thought was the logical next step in the debate... If total credits have become meaningless then why crunch at all?

What I probably should have said is that I don't believe that the credits are meaningless. Yes DNETC seems to be fairly libral with their credits but even if they reduced the credits by a factor of 10 or 100, we would still be exactly where we are along with the rest of the teams.

Nope. We are getting our ass kicked specifically because of a few GPU projects, and because other teams have more GPUs on them than we do. The CPU projects have become meaningless when comparing cross-project stats.

Kevint saw this coming over a year ago and said so explicitly. He gave us fair warning and we didn't do enough like the other big teams did.

STMahlberg
11-10-10, 11:36 AM
Nope. We are getting our ass kicked specifically because of a few GPU projects, and because other teams have more GPUs on them than we do. The CPU projects have become meaningless when comparing cross-project stats.

Kevint saw this coming over a year ago and said so explicitly. He gave us fair warning and we didn't do enough like the other big teams did.

Well, I get the fact that the GPU projects are hurting us because we are unable to take advantage of them. So we simply need to get more GPU's online and that takes money.

Cross-project comparison... I understand what you are saying, it's comparing apples to oranges. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that issue.

The credit system is the only thing we have right now as a gauge and no matter what that is ever changed to, it's still going to be skewed IMHO.

No matter what, it still comes down to shear horsepower, the one with the most horses wins and right now THEY have the most. We need to change that.

Maxwell
11-10-10, 11:47 AM
Getting this thread back to its original purpose...

One of our hard fought #1's is ABC. Still pays pretty well on 64-bit machines (the only thing I'm running now). And were losing ground...

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=abc

Fire$torm
11-10-10, 12:18 PM
Getting this thread back to its original purpose...

One of our hard fought #1's is ABC. Still pays pretty well on 64-bit machines (the only thing I'm running now). And were losing ground...

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=abc

First thought:
Well..... Since this group is DrPop's creation he should declare Maxwell 1st Marshall and convene a War Counsel. Then announce our marching orders for the attack.[/end]

Reality:
It would be nice to have consensus in regards to where we can do the most good for the team. Maybe have a list of projects that are in jeopardy with estimates on how long before the team loses its respective positions.

zombie67
11-10-10, 12:55 PM
The credit system is the only thing we have right now as a gauge and no matter what that is ever changed to, it's still going to be skewed IMHO.

(One last comment on this, and then I'm done.)

No, the credit system (total cross-project credits) is NOT the only gauge we have now. There are better methods to compare us to our competition. Team MegaMilestones and FormulaBOINC are two. They actually compare apples to apples, with no skewing.

DrPop
11-10-10, 01:50 PM
Sorry I've been out of it guys. Like I mentioned to F$ in a PM, R.L. has been handing me my you know what lately.

I'm just going to be blunt. This team is frickin' huge. It's not as big as LAF or S.G., but it's still big. Lots of room for folks to chase whatever their goal in distributed computing happens to be.

That said and understood, I do not believe this is a group for the "personal" MM type chasing. Does that make sense? No hard feeling to anyone intended. Being #1 overall and being #1 in every project are somewhat mutually exclusive at the moment, until certain projects get their head out of the sand and grant more (or less!) credit. Slicker and Crunch3r explained the crappy code most programs are running, so I understand it's NEVER going to be apples to apples. But, it could be a heck of a lot closer than it is now.

When "Joe Blow" newcommer to BOINC looks at a stats page such as Free-DC or BOINC Stats or insert-stat-page-here- and goes hmmmm...what team should I join? Is He/she looking at overall points? Highest RAC? MMs? Etc, etc. We need to find out what they are attracted to, and TARGET THAT. Because we need to grow this team.

Perhaps I was too vague at the beginning. I feel this group is the "BOOST SETI.USA" group. It won't be for everyone. You've got to be willing to back off on a personal project to crunch for a team goal in this group. It's all about helping the team achieve a goal in a specific project, or lift us in the overall stats.
It's for people like me, who will crunch the highest paying project(s) to lift our RAC until what time someone contacts me and says "We're about to lose our #1 in ABC" at which time I will switch over and crunch that until we've either won it back or lost it to the point we give that one up for good.

For strategy like this, I would prefer that we had a TEAM ONLY forum, because it's going to get down to ....do we give this up for that... or, etc. We don't want / need other teams to know that data on us! :p

Am I stepping on anyone's toes yet? ;)

STMahlberg
11-10-10, 02:32 PM
Okay, back on task... I understand what the group is about but for right now while everything else is being decided, I think that you (DrPop) should just pick a project that we should crunch in the meantime.

If it's ABC, then let's point our rigs at ABC until another project is decided.

Maxwell
11-10-10, 02:46 PM
Perhaps I was too vague at the beginning. I feel this group is the "BOOST SETI.USA" group. It won't be for everyone. You've got to be willing to back off on a personal project to crunch for a team goal in this group. It's all about helping the team achieve a goal in a specific project, or lift us in the overall stats.

I got that. I'm not willing to do that, so I didn't join the group. No hard feelings...

However, I do monitor this - If the Boost group is hitting a project that's on my list of goals, I'll join. I brought up ABC because I happen to be crunching it, and noticed other teams more than doubling our production.

Again with the "members only" forum. I still don't like the idea. As a potential compromise (if possible), perhaps we can have our Admins create a new Groups permission level where you can't see posting within the group unless you are a member of the group?

Beerdrinker
11-10-10, 03:03 PM
If we by creating and joining a new board, wanted to make a really fresh start on everything...Then we also need to step out of our alter-egos and re-think "the way we do business"...

If we start to alter the idea about a new home, by implementing all the old habits from the old one....What have we then achieved?

Absolutely nothing!!

So....I like the idea on this group...But if we wanīt to make it happen...REALLY happen...We need to start thinking outside the box...

- Why not give a damn about all our #1 slots (which no way in hell we can defend anyway) and focus on 2-3 projects and then just CRUNCH HARD..
- Why not give a damn about #1 slot overall - and just be the kings of CPU power?
- Why not go donate some power to each other?

I do not mean by this that we should give a damn about everything...Just painting a picture...Tossing out some ideas..

-

DrPop
11-10-10, 03:08 PM
Maxwell, I like that idea. (And I figured this really isn't your thing, so no worries at all.) This group is going to be a fairly tight bunch - and we're going to do some Viking raids! The kind that make other teams nervous! :D If Mr. Hankey could pull off a permissions level like that, then sweet.

There are the MM chasers on this team (you guys have a great thread on that - keep it up!), and then there's the "set it on ___project and crunch" members, and then there are those who want to be #1 overall. (Quite a few of those members left and went elsewhere, but we still have a few. I'm one of them.)

This is kind of a bastion for the "would-be #1's". We're going to try to hang onto every position we've got and build some as well. But it's not going to be easy.
NEXT POST for STM: Strategy, Baby! :cool:

DrPop
11-10-10, 03:26 PM
Beer: Interesting, yes, we will have to evaluate all that as a team.

STM: Let's try this as a test. Maxwell just put out the request that we warm up our slugging arms for a good inning over at field ABC. I'm going to post the first post in the group message center for the call to switch over to ABC in a couple hours.

Now the hard part. We need to know a way to gauge our success, and when to quit, and each resume our normal projects. (For you and I it would be AQUA because we're #1ers, to each their own...)

I'm going to call the first shot: we (the Bash Bro.s) back off after we increase our lead over LAF by a mil or so. No one else (like S.G.) is even close, so we don't really care how much they're ramping up. But, LAF is close enough they *could* do some damage to our #1 at ABC over the course of a few months. LAF is gaining on us by 68K per day. We currently have a lead of 72 Mil.
The Bash Bro.s should be able to reverse the trend, and GAIN us a Mil. in fairly short order. Let's see if we can do this.

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 03:11 AM
Looks like LAF is still leading us by ~50K a day in ABC. :(

Beerdrinker
11-13-10, 03:14 AM
Looks like LAF is still leading us by ~50K a day in ABC. :(

It looks like they have "upped" their production a bit...But if so....They must have backed off somewhere else?

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 04:11 AM
It looks like they have "upped" their production a bit...But if so....They must have backed off somewhere else?

That makes sense. If I'm reading the stats correctly, LAF dropped a dozen core projects that were generating them anywhere from ~10K to ~200K a day compared to the day before.

Credit for today dropped to zero on the following projects for what it's worth...

Primegrid
Seti@Home
Virtual Prairie
Eon
CAS@Home
Cosmology@Home
Ibercivis
Enigma@Home
Rectilinear Crossing
NFS@Home
Spinhenge@Home
AlmereGrid

DrPop
11-13-10, 11:06 AM
STM, I admire your enthusiasm. Man, I am glad you're on my team!
However, you cannot count those projects out for the day until about 9 or 10 PM our time. Otherwise, you might be looking at just delayed reporting of the project tithe stats site.
ABC is interesting. I still need to go look how much credit I have pending, because I'm getting less than 1/10 the credit I was with AQUA. Maybe that's OK, but I'm thinking it's a little low.

Beerdrinker
11-13-10, 11:10 AM
STM, I admire your enthusiasm. Man, I am glad you're on my team!
However, you cannot count those projects out for the day until about 9 or 10 PM our time. Otherwise, you might be looking at just delayed reporting of the project tithe stats site.
ABC is interesting. I still need to go look how much credit I have pending, because I'm getting less than 1/10 the credit I was with AQUA. Maybe that's OK, but I'm thinking it's a little low.

I actually think that ABC lowered their credits a while back....Back in 2005/2007 it used to be a project with very decent credit...And I mean very decent...A Dual core could easily do 5-7000 per day back then...Nowadays you could hardly do that with 4 cores...

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 11:19 AM
I actually think that ABC lowered their credits a while back....Back in 2005/2007 it used to be a project with very decent credit...And I mean very decent...A Dual core could easily do 5-7000 per day back then...Nowadays you could hardly do that with 4 cores...

Must have been nice; as you can see here (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=abc&name=63062), I'm not getting anywhere near that. I have (13) cores working on this, (4) of which are 64bit.

Mumps
11-13-10, 11:25 AM
That makes sense. If I'm reading the stats correctly, LAF dropped a dozen core projects that were generating them anywhere from ~10K to ~200K a day compared to the day before.

Credit for today dropped to zero on the following projects for what it's worth...

Rectilinear Crossing

Well, at least that one makes sense... The project being closed and all...

Beerdrinker
11-13-10, 11:27 AM
Must have been nice; as you can see here (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=abc&name=63062), I'm not getting anywhere near that. I have (13) cores working on this, (4) of which are 64bit.

Yeah I know...It sucks...

Just look at our former #1 at ABC...

http://abcathome.com/show_user.php?userid=5744

Sideband havenīt been around for the last couple of years...Donīt know what happend to him...

He did 10 Mill on that project on pure CPU alone!! That where before GPU became the "big thing"...I am still impressed with that!

Maxwell
11-13-10, 12:23 PM
I have four i7 860s on ABC, which are collectively doing about 30k/day there on Win7x64 machines. I've built up enough pendings so I'm validating about as much as I'm throwing into pending, giving me a pretty stable count.

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 03:21 PM
Yeah I know...It sucks...

Just look at our former #1 at ABC...

That is impressive.

STMahlberg
11-15-10, 01:25 AM
SG 202,768
LAF 171,979
S.USA 140,010

Looks like SG cranked it up a bit.

Forgive me for stating the obvious... we simply don't have the firepower at the moment.

Beerdrinker
11-15-10, 09:06 AM
SG 202,768
LAF 171,979
S.USA 140,010

Looks like SG cranked it up a bit.

Forgive me for stating the obvious... we simply don't have the firepower at the moment.

Migth I suggest something else??

Look at the GAP between #1 and #2 at QMC ATM.....:cool:

Fogle
11-16-10, 12:39 PM
Maybe we don't have the firepower but at least I did get this.

Congratulations!:cool:

You've been chosen as the ABC@home user of the day!
Your profile will be featured on the ABC@home website for the next 24 hours.
That and $150 will buy me a GPU.

DrPop
11-16-10, 01:00 PM
That's sweet Fogle!

Well, I made the call in the group message forum to switch off ABC and start crunching for the PG Challenge tomorrow.

I was headed back to AQUA after that but... Beer, you ARE correct. Anyone want to hit QMC@Home with me after the 24hr PG Challenge is over?
I think we could take a new first there in a week or two! :D
Any takers?

Beerdrinker
11-16-10, 01:57 PM
I was headed back to AQUA after that but... Beer, you ARE correct. Anyone want to hit QMC@Home with me after the 24hr PG Challenge is over?
I think we could take a new first there in a week or two! :D
Any takers?

I could be tempted!! Need only like 10.000 to turn my score into a cool 100.000 Stone!

Fogle
11-16-10, 03:34 PM
I already have my 10K there, but since you came up with the Bash Brothers, I don't care as much about increasing my 10K project list. Count me in.

STMahlberg
11-16-10, 06:08 PM
Maybe we don't have the firepower but at least I did get this.

Congratulations!:cool:

You've been chosen as the ABC@home user of the day!
Your profile will be featured on the ABC@home website for the next 24 hours.
That and $150 will buy me a GPU.

Congrats Fogle!

joker
11-16-10, 08:15 PM
Anyone want to hit QMC@Home with me after the 24hr PG Challenge is over?

I only have 1.3 mill there but sure, why not. :cool:

DrPop
11-17-10, 12:24 AM
Sweet! Let's go knock 'em dead on PG, and then we'll switch over to QMC@Home directly after. The more the merrier. I think we can take it if the credit's not too bad there.

STMahlberg
11-17-10, 12:37 PM
Sweet! Let's go knock 'em dead on PG, and then we'll switch over to QMC@Home directly after. The more the merrier. I think we can take it if the credit's not too bad there.

I'm good with that. :-bd

DrPop
11-18-10, 01:55 PM
Alright! PG was good. We got close. REALLY close. Like 2 more Quad core CPUs would have put us over the top. That's a pretty good show.

I've just turned my rigs onto Quantum Monte Carlo "QMC" @Home for anyone who wants to join in. We've got a fairly small gap to close there, as Beer Drinker pointed out, and we're hoping we can take a new #1 slot for the team.

Anyone who wants to help, please jump aboard, especially all the guys here who like to see SETI.USA #1 in as many projects as possible. That's usually not my goal (I'm a #1 overall kind of guy), but on this project, I think we can all unite together!(%)

"Team Only Strategy Chat" about this and any other project ramp ups - hit the SETI.USA Bash Bro.'s Group forum.
Please pass the word...jump on QMC!

Mike029
11-18-10, 04:47 PM
I've jumped. :p

nmgraywiz
11-21-10, 08:56 PM
Is this thread still alive? Last post is listed as october.. Just wondering.. <: -)

Maxwell
11-21-10, 09:07 PM
Is this thread still alive? Last post is listed as october.. Just wondering.. <: -)
Yep. It's alive. Last post was dated three days ago, actually...;)

nmgraywiz
11-21-10, 09:19 PM
DOH!!! You're quite right.. I just realized I was looking at the Join date of everyone, not the post date.. in the immortal words of Rosanne, Rosanna Danna.. "NEVERMIND!!!"

The Gray Wizard

Yep. It's alive. Last post was dated three days ago, actually...;)

Mike029
11-21-10, 09:31 PM
Ahh, working your way around Wiz. Welcome to the Bash bros.

Maxwell
11-21-10, 10:20 PM
DOH!!! You're quite right.. I just realized I was looking at the Join date of everyone, not the post date.. in the immortal words of Rosanne, Rosanna Danna.. "NEVERMIND!!!"

The Gray Wizard
Hehe... If you haven't already, check out the "groups" area on the boards. Lot of cool features around here...

Fogle
11-24-10, 04:07 PM
Still chugging at QMC moved up to 479th place, considering I started at well over 800 not bad. I'm wondering how long we will have to crunch to get #1 position?

DrPop
11-24-10, 04:31 PM
Slightly more detail in my latest post in the projects -> QMC forum, but we're still gaining on them very nicely. Thanks for everyone helping out! Really shows we can be a "team" again!!! :). Go SETI.USA!

DrPop
12-05-10, 08:00 PM
***Calling all Bash Bro.s***
Please check out the group mini-forum under "Community" --> "Groups" --> "Bash Brothers" and weigh in on the name change currently under discussion.

Thanks!

DrPop
12-09-10, 12:13 PM
All current Bash Bros:
You will get an invitation to join the newly named group later today. It appears I cannot simply change the name of the group; I must make a new one.
I'll have it drawn up in a couple hours when I'm at my office.