PDA

View Full Version : Hail from Tornado Alley, Joplin, MO

HillbillyNinja
08-27-11, 09:24 PM
Hi and thanks for having me. I've heard it said that any club that will have me is not worth joining, but regardless, here I am. I've been a member of Seti@home since 1999 and have over 705,000 credits to my name. However, I've been out of the loop for several years as my enthusiast time with my computers was diminished with the responsibilities of family life. Well, now that the kids have grown a bit and the wife doesn't need as much maintenence it's time for me to get back to crunching.

I know I can no longer do command line classic work units. I have the latest BOINC client up and running on three systems, soon to be four. I just quit my last inactive team littlewhitedogs.

I am a noob vet, if you will. How do I actually join your team?

Cruncher Pete
08-27-11, 10:09 PM
Hi and thanks for having me. I've heard it said that any club that will have me is not worth joining, but regardless, here I am. I've been a member of Seti@home since 1999 and have over 705,000 credits to my name. However, I've been out of the loop for several years as my enthusiast time with my computers was diminished with the responsibilities of family life. Well, now that the kids have grown a bit and the wife doesn't need as much maintenence it's time for me to get back to crunching.

I know I can no longer do command line classic work units. I have the latest BOINC client up and running on three systems, soon to be four. I just quit my last inactive team littlewhitedogs.

I am a noob vet, if you will. How do I actually join your team?

Hi HillbillyNinja.

Nice to hear that you have come back to crunching and welcome to SETI.USA.=D>
You can join our Team by going to SETI@Home page or any project that you have registered and log in to your account. Once your account page is shown you will see on the Right side: "Join a Team". Click on that and in the search menu item that appears type in SETI.USA and click Search. In the result page again Click SETI.USA which appears at the top left of the page and look for and Click: "Join this Team.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Beerdrinker
08-28-11, 01:06 AM
WELCOME to the team!

Fire$torm
08-28-11, 01:43 AM
Howdy.

spingadus
08-28-11, 02:28 AM
Welcome!

STMahlberg
08-28-11, 04:26 AM
Welcome aboard.

Fogle
08-28-11, 06:09 AM
Hi how are you. Welcome to the team!

Mike029
08-28-11, 12:08 PM
Greetings Program... ;) Welcome, thanks for joining us.

HillbillyNinja
08-28-11, 06:52 PM
Ok, so I have some simple questions that I hope the answers will point me in the right direction. Which programs should I be crunching? I'm currently on Seti (no work available atm), Einstein at home and PrimeGrid. Good? Bad? Recomendations? Also, which account manager should I be using and are those worth their time to use?

Sorry for the noobness, but I figure the only dumb question is the ones unasked.

Fire$torm
08-28-11, 08:52 PM
Ok, so I have some simple questions that I hope the answers will point me in the right direction. Which programs should I be crunching? I'm currently on Seti (no work available atm), Einstein at home and PrimeGrid. Good? Bad? Recomendations? Also, which account manager should I be using and are those worth their time to use?

Sorry for the noobness, but I figure the only dumb question is the ones unasked.

Affirmative.
To answer your question I need to ask one or two.
*What kind of system do you have as this will determine what projects are suitable?
*Are you interested more in the science of the projects or just prefer trying everything?

Edit: If you are unsure what type of cruncher to be then may I suggest you take a look at our team divisions sub-forum here ---> http://www.setiusa.us/forumdisplay.php?81-Divisions. This will give you a general idea of what members here on the board like to do.

HillbillyNinja
08-29-11, 12:06 AM
Affirmative.
To answer your question I need to ask one or two.
*What kind of system do you have as this will determine what projects are suitable?
*Are you interested more in the science of the projects or just prefer trying everything?

Edit: If you are unsure what type of cruncher to be then may I suggest you take a look at our team divisions sub-forum here ---> http://www.setiusa.us/forumdisplay.php?81-Divisions. This will give you a general idea of what members here on the board like to do.

Firstly, I run two Intel duo core systems and a quad core AMD. I'll have my 6 core 1055T back up and running tomorrow.
I do like the science of the projects. That was the big draw into the classic Seti program. I'm work in aerospace and as such, astronomy interests me.

Thanks for the link, I'll delve in there.

Crazybob
08-29-11, 07:14 PM
First of all let me welcome you to the team. Second, it was tragic what happened down there in Joplin. I'm sure I speak for the whole team when I say our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who lost loved ones and property in the storm.

As far as your systems go, do you have any graphics cards attached? The newer GPU's can do wonders as far as crunching goes. That's where the big credit is now days. Also, some of the projects only have apps for certain kinds of cards, for example Primegrid is only for Nvidia cards and MilkyWay is mainly for AMD cards, but they might have put out an ap for Nvidia, I haven't checked.

Let us know some more specifics and we can get you going on projects that you are interested in and suit your systems.

trigggl
08-29-11, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the team!

Sorry to hear, this morning, about the government renig on aid to Joplin. I guess Washington thinks their area of the country is more important. :-q

Bok
08-29-11, 07:38 PM
I used to know someone way back when from the littlewhitedog team, though I'm afraid I do not recall the name right now. I'm sure they moved there from the US-Distributed team I was a member of at the time.

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Joplin, one of our clients was Tamko Roofing, who are quite a big employer there. Was quite a shock to me seeing some of the places I knew quite well devastated.

Welcome to Seti.USA !

Bok

Crazybob's Son
08-30-11, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the team! As you have already done, feel free to ask any questions you have and we will try to provide an answer (or ask additional questions in order to provide better answers).

- Jason aka Crazybob's Son