PDA

View Full Version : Thought for the Day

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Duke of Buckingham
01-02-14, 01:26 AM
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Justgeo1
01-03-14, 03:26 AM
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

I have a T-shirt that has that on it... :)

Duke of Buckingham
01-03-14, 07:32 AM
I have a T-shirt that has that on it... :)

When I was young, I use to read some scientific fiction books, from a collection of pocket books, in English and one of my favourite author was Isaac Asimov. :)

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Lily Tomlin

Duke of Buckingham
01-04-14, 11:04 AM
To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

Buddha

Duke of Buckingham
01-05-14, 07:07 AM
I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

Abraham Lincoln

Duke of Buckingham
01-06-14, 07:25 AM
The important thing is that men should have a purpose in life. It should be something useful, something good.

Dalai Lama

Duke of Buckingham
01-07-14, 07:05 AM
Every spoken word arouses our self-will.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Duke of Buckingham
01-08-14, 01:35 PM
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.

Stewart Alsop

Duke of Buckingham
01-09-14, 02:05 PM
Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is.

Jim Morrison

Duke of Buckingham
01-10-14, 05:34 AM
The world is in our hands.
http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Photo/environment2.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
01-11-14, 07:50 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn30/josemelias/AztecEagleWarrior.jpg

Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.

Neil Armstrong

Duke of Buckingham
01-12-14, 08:43 AM
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.

Helen Keller

Duke of Buckingham
01-12-14, 07:52 PM
http://www.fitmomsinthecity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/tumblr_m8o4trn4Yy1qft7n11.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
01-13-14, 03:22 AM
You cannot open a book without learning something.

Confucius

conf
01-13-14, 04:10 AM
Yes, I remember.....

Duke of Buckingham
01-13-14, 03:24 PM
Nice conf.

Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Duke of Buckingham
01-14-14, 07:58 AM
Heaven will be inherited by every man who has heaven in his soul.

Henry Ward Beecher

Duke of Buckingham
01-15-14, 03:39 AM
Listen to many, speak to a few.

William Shakespeare

Duke of Buckingham
01-16-14, 04:49 AM
While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.

Leonardo da Vinci

The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Duke of Buckingham
01-17-14, 03:44 AM
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.

Martha Washington

You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships everyday. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.

Epicurus

Duke of Buckingham
01-18-14, 06:15 AM
If the United Nations once admits that international disputes can be settled by using force, then we will have destroyed the foundation of the organization and our best hope of establishing a world order.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Duke of Buckingham
01-19-14, 07:36 AM
I'll never stop dreaming that one day we can be a real family, together, all of us laughing and talking, loving and understanding, not looking at the past but only to the future.

LaToya Jackson

Duke of Buckingham
01-20-14, 09:20 AM
So Super Bowl Quotes it is for today.

I've never been more nervous in my life than singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl.

Kelly Clarkson

The truth is the Super Bowl long ago became more than just a football game. It's part of our culture like turkey at Thanksgiving and lights at Christmas, and like those holidays beyond their meaning, a factor in our economy.

Bob Schieffer

That's the biggest gap in sports, the difference between the winner and the loser of the Super Bowl.

John Madden

Duke of Buckingham
01-21-14, 03:57 AM
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.

Helen Keller

Duke of Buckingham
01-23-14, 07:41 AM
If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were.

Richard Bach

Duke of Buckingham
01-25-14, 03:38 AM
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/g/grandmamoses116251.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
01-28-14, 07:25 AM
“The object of education is to teach us to love what is beautiful.”

― Plato, The Republic

Duke of Buckingham
01-29-14, 09:29 AM
Sometimes it is better to lose and do the right thing than to win and do the wrong thing.

Tony Blair

Duke of Buckingham
01-30-14, 03:42 AM
One of the greatest casualties of the war in Vietnam is the Great Society... shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Duke of Buckingham
01-31-14, 02:36 PM
“All journeys eventually end in the same place, home.”

― Chris Geiger

Duke of Buckingham
02-01-14, 06:19 AM
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Duke of Buckingham
02-02-14, 04:31 PM
“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.”

― Abraham Lincoln

Duke of Buckingham
02-03-14, 02:39 AM
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Thomas Jefferson

Duke of Buckingham
02-04-14, 06:09 AM
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

Buddha

Duke of Buckingham
02-05-14, 02:35 AM
By accident of fortune a man may rule the world for a time, but by virtue of love he may rule the world forever

Lao Tzu

Duke of Buckingham
02-06-14, 02:10 PM
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Duke of Buckingham
02-07-14, 07:05 AM
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/j/juvenal117830.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
02-08-14, 10:09 AM
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/m/malcolmforbes151520.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
02-09-14, 09:41 AM
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.

Albert Einstein

Duke of Buckingham
02-12-14, 04:48 PM
I fainted and had to take 15 stitches in the forehead .... thought of the day:

Lie down before you fainted.

Ricardo Ferreira

Justgeo1
02-12-14, 08:49 PM
Another option is to not faint at all! :)

Duke of Buckingham
02-13-14, 05:00 PM
Another option is to not faint at all! :)

:rolleyes:Thought of the day:

Be pacient with your friends.=))

Duke of Buckingham
02-15-14, 05:40 PM
“All art is a kind of confession, more or less oblique. All artists, if they are to survive, are forced, at last, to tell the whole story; to vomit the anguish up.”

― James Baldwin

Duke of Buckingham
02-16-14, 09:10 PM
One person goes much faster, one team goes much far.

Ricardo Ferreira

Duke of Buckingham
02-18-14, 10:09 AM
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

Duke of Buckingham
02-19-14, 03:53 PM
“All of life in its complexity and beauty is forever minted in the gold of words.”

― Yevgeny Zamyatin, We

Duke of Buckingham
02-20-14, 07:41 AM
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/e/epictetus149131.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
02-21-14, 08:35 AM
Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

John Wooden

Duke of Buckingham
02-22-14, 04:38 AM
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/p/phillipsbrooks190434.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
02-22-14, 09:42 PM
“We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn.

It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content.

The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy.

It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking.

This is the great paradox.”

― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

Duke of Buckingham
02-25-14, 06:37 AM
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

Someone :D

Duke of Buckingham
02-27-14, 03:54 AM
Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for.

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.

Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.

Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion, I spent the rest of the day putting the pieces together.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I don't try to describe the future. I try to prevent it.

Ray Bradbury

Duke of Buckingham
02-28-14, 07:38 AM
"The difference between men and boys
Is the price of their toys. "

— Unknown

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

— Unknown

"He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, still dead."

— Unknown

I may not have what I want but I sure love what I have.

Someone like me

Duke of Buckingham
03-01-14, 07:12 AM
Anger is the enemy of non-violence and pride is a monster that swallows it up.

Mahatma Gandhi

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself.

Michel de Montaigne

Duke of Buckingham
03-03-14, 07:48 AM
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

Harvey Fierstein

Duke of Buckingham
03-04-14, 08:38 AM
Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul.

Thomas Merton

Duke of Buckingham
03-05-14, 03:14 AM
In the end of the day between big and small things we do, is the small things that stay carved in our emotions.

Is the sweetness of love or friendship or the details on our homes that we call little but I am sure they are very big, at least when I compare them with the great things we did in the past all this small things are bigger in my heart.

How could I have lost or didnt pay enough attention on the small things of my life that are now so dear to me.

Maybe is the age coming and with it the true sense of the proportions of life, getting by his own rights their real stature.

Ricardo Ferreira

http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/a/arthurconandoyle154359.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
03-06-14, 05:30 AM
You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Duke of Buckingham
03-07-14, 05:33 AM
“Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.”

Golda Meir

Duke of Buckingham
03-10-14, 08:12 AM
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Duke of Buckingham
03-11-14, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pFAFsTFTI#t=32

Duke of Buckingham
03-12-14, 03:19 AM
"Would I do it again? Absolutely. Regardless of what happens to me, this is something we had a right to,"

"I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. And I saw the Constitution was being violated on a massive scale,"

"We need public oversight ... some way for trusted public figures to advocate for us. We need a watchdog that watches Congress, because if we're not informed, we can't consent to these (government) policies."

Edward Snowden

Duke of Buckingham
03-13-14, 03:23 AM
Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.

By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.

So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being.

You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.

It is often safer to be in chains than to be free.

God gives the nuts, but he does not crack them.

A man of action forced into a state of thought is unhappy until he can get out of it.

Self-control means wanting to be effective at some random point in the infinite radiations of my spiritual existence.

Franz Kafka

Duke of Buckingham
03-14-14, 02:25 AM
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

Anne Frank

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-14, 10:11 AM
Lost time is never found again.

Benjamin Franklin

Duke of Buckingham
03-17-14, 06:24 AM
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.

Plato

Duke of Buckingham
03-18-14, 06:17 AM
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong.

DrBackJack
03-18-14, 07:14 AM
Thought for the Day Sep 8, 2011:

"You are never given a dream without also being given the
power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however."

Keep on crunching and Have a nice day...

Yep, it's how it works.

Duke of Buckingham
03-19-14, 06:35 AM
Nice DrBackJack.
http://i.brainyquote.com/photos/a/alexhaley391545.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
03-20-14, 06:44 AM
Every good picture leaves the painter eager to start again, unsatisfied, inspired by the rich mine in which he is working, hoping for more energy, more vitality, more time - condemned to painting for life.

John Sloan

Duke of Buckingham
03-21-14, 04:11 AM
Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come.

Robert H. Schuller

Duke of Buckingham
03-22-14, 03:38 AM
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Godric
03-22-14, 01:46 PM
I'm a bad influence. that's why I was invited to speak at your graduation. If I had spoken at your orientation, fewer of you might be here today.
Bill Gates

Duke of Buckingham
03-23-14, 11:19 AM
I am waitting for Godric.

That is my thought of the day.

Where are you Godric my friend come and post something for us.

Duke of Buckingham
03-24-14, 05:48 AM
Love one another and help others to rise to the higher levels, simply by pouring out love. Love is infectious and the greatest healing energy.

Sai Baba

Godric
03-24-14, 10:25 AM
No one is so happy or sad as he imagines.

Duke of Buckingham
03-25-14, 02:03 AM
It is the happiest thing to have someone to divide the Forum, to write texts and to post pictures.

I was not alone, I have so many friends in here that I just can not count but suddenly I feel the joy of having someone that shares the same way of seeing the world and that is very good for someone like me.

I hope you stay for long Godric, it is nice to see the evolution on your posts on a dayly basis, this last "Today in History" is something of good taste, I am sure we will improve the team and make the forum better.

If I had lost twin I am sure it would be you, inspite of the great difference in age. Thanks for sharing with us your artistic vein and good taste.

Duke of Buckingham

Godric
03-25-14, 05:01 PM
Every anarchist is a baffled dictator.
Benito Mussolini
http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19184/19184857cd4a2a1a26bf59eb62752f0a9a2a4b33.gif

Godric
03-25-14, 06:57 PM
It is the happiest thing to have someone to divide the Forum, to write texts and to post pictures.

I was not alone, I have so many friends in here that I just can not count but suddenly I feel the joy of having someone that shares the same way of seeing the world and that is very good for someone like me.

I hope you stay for long Godric, it is nice to see the evolution on your posts on a dayly basis, this last "Today in History" is something of good taste, I am sure we will improve the team and make the forum better.

If I had lost twin I am sure it would be you, inspite of the great difference in age. Thanks for sharing with us your artistic vein and good taste.

Duke of Buckingham

I have to express this with Gif's ONLY (No Words)
http://img0.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19185/19185240b23ec3335f92dee2a7ba9253604b00f5.gif
http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19185/19185243177d5bafb4ae8e99030177bb2e4cc1b5.gif
http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19185/19185248b2ed6de3c97c45d3545af3d8efae71a6.gif

Duke of Buckingham
03-26-14, 12:05 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zmc4e3SOqjY/T6JTFvGYNQI/AAAAAAAAAVc/VoTprMldsbY/s1600/thank-you.jpg

Godric
03-26-14, 10:51 AM
An institution is the lengthened shadow of one man

@ Duke of Buckingham
No problem!!!

Godric
03-27-14, 09:02 PM
He cannot rule the great who cannot rule the small.

Godric
03-28-14, 11:01 PM
No facts are sacred, none are profane.

Godric
03-29-14, 10:36 PM
Faith will not die while seed catalogs are printed.

Duke of Buckingham
03-29-14, 10:45 PM
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Godric
03-31-14, 12:28 AM
Public speaking takes a two minute idea, and a two hour vocabulary.

Duke of Buckingham
03-31-14, 05:27 AM
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.

Godric
03-31-14, 01:31 PM
All work and no play makes jack. And lots of it.

Godric
04-01-14, 06:33 PM
God gives us relatives; thank God we can chose our friends.

Godric
04-02-14, 03:42 PM
Fortune truly helps those who are of good judgment.

Godric
04-03-14, 08:32 PM
Faith goes out through the window when beauty comes in at the door.

Duke of Buckingham
04-04-14, 03:51 AM
“My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed.”

- Yi Sunshin, Last letter to an old friend

“Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!”

- Pat Riley

“A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.”

- Shissai

“Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.”

- Sun Tzu

“Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing.”

- Abraham Lincoln

“Conflict will remain complex and chaotic, and human frailties and irrationality will continue to characterize war’s nature. Just as in the past, the root causes of future conflicts will arise from fear, hatred, greed, honor, and ambition. The human dimension of war defies simple logic. For that reason, understanding as much as possible about this dimension becomes critical to influencing and achieving favorable outcomes in future conflicts.”

- US Army study of Human Dimension

Godric
04-04-14, 09:36 PM
Everything bows to success, even grammar.

Godric
04-05-14, 07:50 PM
Everyone complains of his memory, no one of his judgment.

Z-TAC
04-06-14, 10:31 AM
Every freedom includes the potential for abuse. Government cannot eliminate all perceived abuses without eliminating freedom.
-- Z-TAC, April 6, 2014

Justgeo1
04-06-14, 08:13 PM
Every freedom includes the potential for abuse. Government cannot eliminate all perceived abuses without eliminating freedom.
-- Z-TAC, April 6, 2014

The government has spent too much time, lately, trying to protect us from ourselves... What we really need is protection from the government...

Godric
04-06-14, 10:58 PM
Even the smallest candle burns brighter in the dark

Godric
04-07-14, 11:09 PM
Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap

Z-TAC
04-08-14, 03:27 PM
Reality has a low probability of occurrence.
Z-TAC, May 30, 1982

Godric
04-08-14, 11:02 PM
Behind every argument is someone`s ignorance.

Duke of Buckingham
04-09-14, 01:34 AM
Our friends, each time we see them less. It seems it was only when we were young, worked and drank together that we met as often as wanted, always daily. And in the greatest luxury of all, lost for so long: Because we had nothing better to do.

This week I have lunch with my great friends, that for the first time in our lives, I do not see for so many years. Each one of them starts talking to me as if I had not spent a day without seeing them.

Nothing fails. All fires out as if this was in our blood: the excitation of counting things and the joy of sharing trifles; LOL of the oft-repeated jokes; and the promises of hopes that are decades for accomplish.

There are great friends that I am lucky to have, that insist in the importance of the PRESENCE in capital letters. So far never agreed, thinking that nostalgia makes jokes of the time and that the heart is more sensitive to the reminder than to repetition. I was wrong.

The best friends have to do, is to see themselves whenever they can. It is true that, even if ten years have passed, is like we have seen each other yesterday. But even then we can feel the pleasure of finding who we never thought to find.

Time doesn`t pass for friendship, but friendship passes to time. You have to hold it while is there. We are friends forever but between day of staying friends and the day of die is a great distance. A distance as large as life.

Godric
04-09-14, 09:22 PM
Beauty seldom recommends one woman to another.

Godric
04-10-14, 11:41 PM
A wise man can see more from a the bottom of a well than a fool can see from a mountaintop.

Godric
04-11-14, 10:53 PM
Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt.

Duke of Buckingham
04-12-14, 03:40 AM
It takes a long time to become young.

Pablo Picasso

Godric
04-13-14, 12:16 AM
Only the doctor can suffer from good health.

Duke of Buckingham
04-15-14, 08:18 AM
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.

Steve Jobs

Godric
04-15-14, 11:21 AM
Communism will work when love, not greed, inspires it.

Godric
04-16-14, 12:07 AM
God never imposes a duty without giving time to do it.

Godric
04-16-14, 07:37 PM
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length

~ Ibn Sina (Avicenna)

Godric
04-17-14, 12:00 AM
Thrift is a wonderful virtue - in an ancestor

Godric
04-17-14, 11:31 PM
If we were intended to talk more than we hear, we'd have two mouths and only one ear.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Godric
04-18-14, 08:58 PM
The hardest thing to do is to disguise your feelings when sending a large crowd of visiting relatives home.

Godric
04-19-14, 12:21 AM
Better to be religious with your eloquence, than eloquent with your religion.

Godric
04-19-14, 10:18 PM
Freedom has a thousand charms to show, that slaves, however content, will never know.

Duke of Buckingham
04-19-14, 11:30 PM
Freedom has a thousand charms to show, that slaves, however content, will never know.

I think that no one knows better about freedoom than slaves. We only give value of things we dont have.

Godric
04-20-14, 12:10 AM
"We can't expect the American people to jump from Capitalism to Communism,
but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism,
until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism."

Nikita Khrushchev
(1894-1971) Premier of the Soviet Union

John P. Myers
04-20-14, 04:52 AM
I think that no one knows better about freedoom than slaves. We only give value of things we dont have.

Sure, but who alive today was ever a slave? If you'd like to include ancestors, then in fact the population of all of Earth can be counted equally, for every race has been enslaved without exception.

Duke of Buckingham
04-20-14, 07:50 AM
Sure, but who alive today was ever a slave? If you'd like to include ancestors, then in fact the population of all of Earth can be counted equally, for every race has been enslaved without exception.

Well JPM there several ways to make of someone a slave and for sure there are several ways of slavery. The moment a man take a job in order to live, he is on the pass to become a slave.

Someone that I dont recall now, wrote that there is no king without slave and no slave without a king and we have a lot of modern kings so we must have a lot of slaves also. You see my friend one and the other are connected on an ethernal dance, if we had no slaves we had no kings.

But I am not the first to have this vision of society, long before I had all those strange ideas, I could noticed that many men along history had. In one way or another, they had the same vision of world full of slaves and masters as I did.

The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. Our children see this, and learn to imitate it.
Thomas Jefferson

I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass

If you are living out of a sense of obligation you are slave.
Wayne Dyer

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself, and because all his thoughts are of things which they devour.
Bertrand Russell

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.
Vladimir Lenin

Be not a slave of words.
Thomas Carlyle

This last quote is more about the present or near past, first was the church legitimating Kings and then they become lawyers and the words are a way for every free man to become a slave, justifying the huge fortunes made on the shoulder of slaves but I agree with you, it is the slaves fault because they choose to be slaves or maybe they are not human as the church said not so long ago.

It is a very vast ideal that one that lead to the formation of the American countries but in the middle of it the poison of slavery in all is forms and it is not easy to explain on a more profound way for that we will have to write a book and I dont think I have time for that anymore.

At last dead will set me free.
Someone like me

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.
Henry David Thoreau

Godric
04-20-14, 10:46 PM
The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our change.

Godric
04-21-14, 11:24 PM
Of all the ills that men endure, hope is the only cheap and universal cure.

Godric
04-22-14, 10:11 PM
If you bow at all, bow low.

Godric
04-23-14, 12:30 PM
History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely when they have exhausted all other alternatives.
- Abba Eban

Godric
04-23-14, 10:57 PM
Toil is most pleasant when done.

Godric
04-24-14, 12:01 PM
My great fear is that by the time the whites have turned to loving, the blacks will have turned to hating.
Alan Paton

Godric
04-24-14, 10:55 PM
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.

Mumps
04-24-14, 11:17 PM
Toil is most pleasant when done.

Or when properly delegated to someone else...

zombie67
04-25-14, 12:56 AM
Or when properly delegated to someone else...

- Tom S.

Godric
04-25-14, 06:52 PM
Hhmmm
Can an atheist get insurance that covers them against acts of God?

Godric
04-25-14, 11:42 PM
You're smart when you only believe half of what you hear, Wise is when you know which half to believe.

Godric
04-26-14, 11:18 PM
No man can serve two masters, yes-men can serve hundreds.

Godric
04-27-14, 10:04 PM
A good man gone wrong is usually a bad man found out.

Godric
04-28-14, 07:28 PM
The best prophet of the future is the past.

Duke of Buckingham
04-28-14, 09:09 PM
The best prophet of the future is the past.

George Byron

This is one quote that can have many interpretations and in spite of the great man that write it, I cant agree with the most common interpretation and the reason is very simple, I believe that people can change.

No one can change the past but everyone can change the future, so for those that believe, as I do, that is never too late, I would prefer that the quote was:

Do not let your past, impose your future.

Someone Like Me

Godric
04-29-14, 12:01 AM
Losing weight: the triumph of mind over platter.

@Duke of Buckingham
True that

Godric
04-29-14, 11:29 PM
To get ahead and stay ahead, use your head.

Godric
04-30-14, 11:31 PM
Do not clog intellect`s sluices with knowledge of questionable uses.

Godric
05-01-14, 11:11 AM
The best way to keep your friends is not to give them away.

Godric
05-01-14, 11:30 PM
Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won`t see his face.

Duke of Buckingham
05-04-14, 04:19 AM
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.

Lao Tzu

Let it go and be yourself, dont be impressed with others victories for they had fallen more often that they would like to confess.

You need to be a very special kind of man, to have no affraid of doing mistakes. Posting is a confessionary of mistakes but we are not affraid of making the mistakes and less of confessing them.

... and so goes life and the man with his medals, one for each mistake, the proof that he made more than his duty.

Someone Like Me

Godric
05-04-14, 09:12 PM
Say not in grief he is no more - but live in thankfulness that he was
Hebrew Proverb

Godric
05-04-14, 09:15 PM
Perhaps they are not stars but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones shines down to let us know they are happy

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/19374/193740024bac35f3bb5010f7880031b6936cb570.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
05-05-14, 07:19 AM
It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

Julius Caesar

Duke of Buckingham
05-06-14, 02:40 AM
Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.

Duke of Buckingham
05-08-14, 07:14 AM
If you think, as I do, that fanatics are is incorruptible monsters that kill and die for one idea, one idea so fixed that they can never change his idea or the his subject.

A Muslim fanatic and a Christian fanatic, a Jewish fanatic, a secular fanatic, an atheist fanatic, a communist fanatic - all of them are the same. They think they can understand better than anyone the mind of God and the secrets of the Universe,

I would be pity of them if they weren’t so dangerous because a fanatic is someone that really is afraid of doubting and so choose not to think by his own head but really has so many doubts that choose to impose them to all world.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
05-09-14, 06:52 AM
Unity is strength... when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.

Mattie Stepanek

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

Anne Frank

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.

Thomas Jefferson

Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians - you are not like him.

Mahatma Gandhi

Duke of Buckingham
05-10-14, 06:10 AM
Value life in what ever house it dwells. For when it comes time that we are all stripped to bare bones before the divine and facing eternity, we will understand that the only law we were meant to follow, was to love ourselves and each other. Nothing more...nothing less.”

― Carla Jo Masterson

“A choir is made up of many voices, including yours and mine. If one by one all go silent then all that will be left are the soloists.
Don’t let a loud few determine the nature of the sound. It makes for poor harmony and diminishes the song.”

― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

Duke of Buckingham
05-11-14, 06:25 PM
Let him who would enjoy a good future waste none of his present.

Roger Babson

Duke of Buckingham
05-13-14, 04:54 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/c45b9993016a9ce7b79b37a055ef7b0d/tumblr_mtbhrmZSXp1ririjeo1_500.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
05-19-14, 01:05 PM
"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive."

--Joseph Campbell

Duke of Buckingham
05-20-14, 05:59 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10330441_793271344018380_5173766536153783659_n.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
05-21-14, 04:55 PM
What is all our histories, but God showing himself, shaking and trampling on everything that he has not planted.

Oliver Cromwell

Duke of Buckingham
05-22-14, 06:35 PM
With ideas it is like with dizzy heights you climb: At first they cause you discomfort and you are anxious to get down, distrustful of your own powers; but soon the remoteness of the turmoil of life and the inspiring influence of the altitude calm your blood; your step gets firm and sure and you begin to look - for dizzier heights.

Nikola Tesla

Duke of Buckingham
05-24-14, 08:03 AM
You have to dream before your dreams can come true.

A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Duke of Buckingham
05-25-14, 08:33 AM
To understand a man, you must know his memories. The same is true of a nation.

~ Anthony Quayle

Duke of Buckingham
05-26-14, 05:51 AM
Pictures only show what once was and who people used to be.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind.

I think regrets are mistakes that you don't learn from.

Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

I'm not surprised when people leave. I'm actually more surprised when they stay.

I can't promise you that everything will be perfect.
I can only promise that it will be worth it.

Duke of Buckingham
05-27-14, 07:44 AM
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Leonardo da Vinci

Duke of Buckingham
05-28-14, 05:44 AM
People very often mistake themselves and call progress to change.

Ricardo Ferreira

Duke of Buckingham
05-29-14, 04:54 PM
“Live life fully while you're here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You're going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process. Take the opportunity to learn from your mistakes: find the cause of your problem and eliminate it. Don't try to be perfect; just be an excellent example of being human.”

Anthony Robbins

Duke of Buckingham
05-30-14, 01:24 PM
“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find ''tomorrow'' on the calendars of fools. Forget yesterday's defeats and ignore the problems of tomorrow. This is it. Doomsday. All you have. Make it the best day of your year. The saddest words you can ever utter are, ''If I had my life to live over again. ''Take the baton, now. Run with it! This is your day! Beginning today, treat everyone you meet, friend or foe, loved one or stranger, as if they were going to be dead at midnight. Extend to each person, no matter how trivial the contact, all the care and kindness and understanding and love that you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.”

Og Mandino

Duke of Buckingham
05-31-14, 04:48 AM
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.

Albert Einstein

Duke of Buckingham
06-01-14, 03:12 PM
Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.

Henry Wordsworth Longfellow

It is a time when one's spirit is subdued and sad, one knows not why; when the past seems a storm-swept desolation, life a vanity and a burden, and the future but a way to death.

Mark Twain

Sadness is always the legacy of the past; regrets are pains of the memory.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
06-08-14, 06:16 PM
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.

G. K. Chesterton

Give yourself up to this moment. Dare to see it. Now look down at your feet; slip out of those invisible tethers. Then ask: Where would you take yourself right this moment if you walked toward your most heartfelt dream? What would your life look like? What would your body look and feel like? What level of energy would you have? What might be your favorite activity? What would your daily life include? Imagine happiness -- the sweet glow of inner contentment, the way it tastes and smells and feels.

Chris Downie

Listen to the Exhortation of the Dawn!
Look to this Day!
For it is Life, the very Life of Life.
In its brief course lie all the
Verities and Realities of your Existence.
The Bliss of Growth,
The Glory of Action,
The Splendor of Beauty;
For Yesterday is but a Dream,
And To-morrow is only a Vision;
But To-day well lived makes
Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,
And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.
Look well therefore to this Day!
Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!

Kalidasa

Duke of Buckingham
06-13-14, 05:57 AM
“But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun”

The Beatles

Duke of Buckingham
06-16-14, 07:53 AM
1774 :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uk_6WWy0RA

Duke of Buckingham
06-19-14, 07:26 PM
http://www.brainyquote.com/photos/p/phillipsbrooks190434.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
06-20-14, 06:08 AM
Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world.

—Lily Tomlin

Duke of Buckingham
06-22-14, 07:14 AM
It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed.

Vin Diesel

Duke of Buckingham
06-26-14, 08:37 AM
Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live.

Charles Bukowski

You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.

Jimi Hendrix

Some may never live, but the crazy never die.

Hunter S. Thompson

After all, the wool of a black sheep is just as warm.

Ernest Lehman

Duke of Buckingham
06-28-14, 11:55 AM
It takes a great weakness to show the world how strong we can be.

Someone like me

Duke of Buckingham
07-04-14, 06:31 AM
Belief consists in accepting the affirmations of the soul; unbelief, in denying them.

George Eliot

Duke of Buckingham
07-09-14, 07:00 AM
God sends the dawn
that we might see
the might-have-beens
that still might be.

~Robert Braul

Duke of Buckingham
07-14-14, 05:04 AM
“Over the years, I have come to realize that the greatest trap in our life is not success, popularity, or power, but self-rejection.

Success, popularity, and power can indeed present a great temptation, but their seductive quality often comes from the way they are part of the much larger temptation to self-rejection.

When we have come to believe in the voices that call us worthless and unlovable, then success, popularity, and power are easily perceived as attractive solutions.

The real trap, however, is self-rejection. As soon as someone accuses me or criticizes me, as soon as I am rejected, left alone, or abandoned,

I find myself thinking, "Well, that proves once again that I am a nobody." ... [My dark side says,] I am no good... I deserve to be pushed aside, forgotten, rejected, and abandoned.

Self-rejection is the greatest enemy of the spiritual life because it contradicts the sacred voice that calls us the "Beloved." Being the Beloved constitutes the core truth of our existence.”

― Henri J.M. Nouwen

Duke of Buckingham
07-17-14, 09:03 AM
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

Zahid Abas

Friendships are fragile things and require as much care in handling as any other fragile and precious thing.

Randolf S Bourne

Tenderness is the repose of Passion

Joseph Joubert

Our greatest strength lies in the gentleness and tenderness of our heart.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
07-26-14, 02:02 PM
I am with all GODS and DEVILS of the world, I belong to each and everyone of them because I was born human.

It is true that I always try to be better in everyday of my life but that just don't mean a thing on the choices of my life, I am so full of bad choices as anyone of you is, no matter what you think about yourselves, as the song says: "I am what I am and what I am need "a lot of excuses". Sorry for the bad ending, I cant think of none better.

One thing is for sure, I tried to love every human beings and had failed so many times that I am waiting for all the DEVILS bad treatment but on GODS love for me I still trust. I don't trust in dollar bill anyway.

Very Mad and Crazy Duke

Duke of Buckingham
07-29-14, 07:59 AM
Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.

H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Duke of Buckingham
08-03-14, 10:05 AM
An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.

Proverbs 27:5

I live for those who love me, for those who know me true, for the Heaven that smiles above me, and awaits my coming too; For the cause that lacks resistance, for the future and the distance, and the good that I can do.

Someone like me

Duke of Buckingham
08-09-14, 03:37 AM
I believe that the existence of the classical "path" can be pregnantly formulated as follows: The "path" comes into existence only when we observe it.

--Heisenberg, in uncertainty principle paper, 1927

In the sharp formulation of the law of causality-- "if we know the present exactly, we can calculate the future"-it is not the conclusion that is wrong but the premise.

--Heisenberg, in uncertainty principle paper, 1927

The violent reaction on the recent development of modern physics can only be understood when one realises that here the foundations of physics have started moving; and that this motion has caused the feeling that the ground would be cut from science.

Werner Heisenberg

The problems of language here are really serious. We wish to speak in some way about the structure of the atoms. But we cannot speak about atoms in ordinary language.

Werner Heisenberg

Natural science, does not simply describe and explain nature; it is part of the interplay between nature and ourselves.

Werner Heisenberg

Duke of Buckingham
08-24-14, 03:16 AM
Kill tension before tension kills you. Reach your goal before goal kicks you. Live life before LIFE leaves you.

Duke of Buckingham
09-28-14, 01:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wte1uk4A5eU

Duke of Buckingham
10-31-14, 06:45 AM
“A storyteller makes up things to help other people; a liar makes up things to help himself.”

― Daniel Wallace, The Kings and Queens of Roam

Duke of Buckingham
11-03-14, 07:55 AM
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.

Lao Tzu

Duke of Buckingham
11-04-14, 07:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4j8iWu-OI

Duke of Buckingham
11-05-14, 07:39 AM
“Suddenly this defeat.
This rain.
The blues gone gray
And the browns gone gray
And yellow
A terrible amber.
In the cold streets
Your warm body.
In whatever room
Your warm body.
Among all the people
Your absence
The people who are always
Not you.

I have been easy with trees
Too long.
Too familiar with mountains.
Joy has been a habit.
Now
Suddenly
This rain.”

― Jack Gilbert

Duke of Buckingham
11-07-14, 06:06 AM
Be polite even to those who are rude to you, not because they are, but because of you are.

John Reyes

My mommy always taught me to do what's right. To wash behind my ears and try to be polite. You see, she loves me so!

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
11-09-14, 08:56 AM
Teamwork is the ability to work as a group toward a common vision, even if that vision had become confused.

Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the personal and team success.

Together Everyone Achieves More and Better.

Together We will achieve something amazing.

Duke of Buckingham
11-11-14, 06:28 PM
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.

~Joseph Campbell

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.

~Doug Larson

Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.

~Nicholas Negroponte

After growing wildly for years, the field of computing appears to be reaching its infancy.

~John Pierce

Computers have lots of memory but no imagination.

~Author Unknown

Duke of Buckingham
11-19-14, 02:03 PM
" Of all the arts in which the wise excel, nature's chief masterpiece is writing well."

" Read Homer once, and you can read no more. For all books else appear so mean, and so poor. Verse will seem prose; but still persist to read, and Homer will be all the books you need."

Duke of Buckingham

Duke of Buckingham
11-22-14, 09:51 AM
A lot of people talk about lies and use the word honesty to oppose to lies, to be honest is not only to not lie, honesty is much more than that.

Honesty is truth in all his strands: telling, speaking, living, loving ...

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
11-25-14, 10:49 AM
Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind.
William Shakespeare

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
Voltaire

In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.
Immanuel Kant

It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one.
Voltaire

The real power of the Buddha was that he had so much love. He saw people trapped in their notions of small separate self, feeling guilty or proud of that self, and he offered revolutionary teachings that resounded like a lion's roar, like a great rising tide, helping people to wake up and break free from the prison of ignorance.
Nhat Hanh

Duke of Buckingham
12-01-14, 11:22 AM
Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

Carl Jung

God has entrusted me with myself.

Epictetus

Duke of Buckingham
12-02-14, 10:04 AM
Keith Urban – Everybody Lyrics
So, here you are now, nowhere to turn
It's just the same old yesterday
You made a promise to yourself
That you were never gonna be this way
And the only thing that you've ever known is to run
So you keep on driving faster into the sun

But everybody needs somebody sometimes
Yeah, everybody needs somebody sometimes

You don't have to find your own way out
You've got a voice; let it be heard
Just when it feels you're on a dead-end road
There's always somewhere left to turn
So don't give up now
You're so close to a brand new day
Yes, you are
And if you just can bare to be alone, then I'll stay

'Cause everybody needs somebody sometimes
Yeah, everybody needs somebody sometimes

Well, maybe I've been too caught up
To see what you've been going through
All that I can say is that I'm here now

And everybody needs somebody sometimes
You know they do
Everybody needs somebody sometimes
Songwriters: ASTASIO, GEORGE / CANO, CHRISTOPHER THOMAS / JEN, JOHN BEN T. / PEBWORTH, JASON ANDREW / ROENTGEN, KEVIN M.
Everybody lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZgqcUVR94

We are meant to rely on our fellow human beings from the day we are born. No baby can take care of itself. Although we are much more self-reliant as adults we still have to rely on others.

Duke of Buckingham
12-04-14, 08:59 AM
It is not the possession of truth, but the success which attends the seeking after it, that enriches the seeker and brings happiness to him.

Max Planck

Duke of Buckingham
12-05-14, 09:29 AM
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

Robert A. Heinlein

Duke of Buckingham
12-08-14, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszl2d1S0Wc
Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me.

Always, no sometimes, think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know I mean a yes
But it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

Songwriters
LENNON, JOHN WINSTON / MCCARTNEY, PAUL JAMES

Duke of Buckingham
12-12-14, 09:45 AM
“But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
To me, you will be unique in all the world.
To you, I shall be unique in all the world.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Duke of Buckingham
12-13-14, 02:58 PM
“Only he who has seen better days and lives to see better days again knows their full value”

Mark Twain

Duke of Buckingham
12-15-14, 02:28 AM
http://www.brainyquote.com/photos/e/edwinlouiscole360084.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
12-20-14, 04:22 PM
Only hearts can build a home.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
12-24-14, 06:50 AM
We think, dream, feel, love. Life is short. We need to be happy.

Justgeo1
12-25-14, 02:39 AM
Amen to that, my friend! Merry Christmas to all! :cool:

Duke of Buckingham
12-26-14, 12:57 AM
Amen to that, my friend! Merry Christmas to all! :cool:

Thank you Justgeo1.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Francis of Assisi

Duke of Buckingham
12-28-14, 08:05 AM
Sometimes things and people just go. Just like that.

Is the biggest feeling that a part of us is missing,
when we dont know what happened,
why it happened,
and people that we once knew just arent there.
Emptiness in ones heart ...

You can decorate absence however you want- but your still gonna feel what’s missing.

Duke of Buckingham
12-31-14, 07:04 AM
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Albert Camus

Duke of Buckingham
01-01-15, 10:15 AM
One step to begin and better go slowly because the journey is very long and I am in a hurry.

Someone Like Me

“So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.”

W. Clement Stone

Duke of Buckingham
01-05-15, 05:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA
Jump to 3:15

Maxwell
01-05-15, 05:55 PM
Jump to 3:15
I love that scene...

Duke of Buckingham
01-05-15, 06:02 PM
I love that scene...

... first step to solve any problem is to recognize that is one ...

BEST SENTENCE FOR ME

Duke of Buckingham
01-09-15, 10:02 AM
Let's keep all the families that are involved with the terrorist attacks in our thoughts and prayers.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
Albert Camus

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

Duke of Buckingham
01-11-15, 05:59 AM
“All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.”

― Sophocles, Antigone

Duke of Buckingham
01-13-15, 10:38 AM
My real treasure is inside my heart, is in there that I keep all the good things of my life.
If one day I deny my heart, I am denying the best part of me.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
01-16-15, 03:46 AM
Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst.

An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.

Thomas Paine

Duke of Buckingham
01-21-15, 09:55 AM
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

Marcus Aurelius

We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyone's arguing over where they're going to sit.

David Suzuki

A man lives by believing something: not by debating and arguing about many things.

Thomas Carlyle

Duke of Buckingham
01-24-15, 03:31 AM
“You cannot find peace by avoiding life.”

― Virginia Woolf

“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.”

― Albert Einstein

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

― Milan Kundera

Duke of Buckingham
01-25-15, 06:56 AM
The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don't. But, in the end, they're the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you're born into and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself.

Sex And The City

If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance

George Bernard Shaw

There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened and maintained

Winston Churchill

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together

Erma Bombeck

If the family were a fruit, it would be an orange, a circle of sections, held together but separable - each segment distinct

Letty Cottin Pogrebin

Duke of Buckingham
01-28-15, 01:25 AM
Nearly 35% of the 2,490 teachers enrolled in the evaluation test on Portugal, that gave a valid test, failed the test, and nearly 290 had their second failure.

Something to think about on Our Children Education.

Duke of Buckingham
01-30-15, 03:14 AM
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Technology is so much fun but we can drown in our technology. The fog of information can drive out knowledge.

A best-seller was a book which somehow sold well because it was selling well.

The celebrity is a person who is known for his well-knownness.

Reading is like the sex act - done privately, and often in bed.

The force of the advertising word and image dwarfs the power of other literature in the 20th century.

Daniel J. Boorstin

Duke of Buckingham
02-01-15, 06:44 AM
We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.

THOMAS JEFFERSON

I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself.

RONALD REAGAN

Duke of Buckingham
02-03-15, 03:06 PM
One thought of my own.

Politicians and economist think that Greece is doomed and must pay immediately, the people in Greece think different.

Isnt the will of the people something we must respect?

Germany thinks Greece should pay all their debts on Germany schedule, Greece thinks German should pay all their debts to Greece from WWII.

We cant condemn one all generation to poverty, not in Germany and not in Greece.

People forget very fast and get more and more greedy and what is GREED, if I may ask?

Duke of Buckingham
02-06-15, 05:37 AM
Deep down, the US, with its space, its technological refinement, its bluff good conscience, even in those spaces which it opens up for simulation, is the only remaining primitive society.

Jean Baudrillard

The most important application of quantum computing in the future is likely to be a computer simulation of quantum systems, because that's an application where we know for sure that quantum systems in general cannot be efficiently simulated on a classical computer.

David Deutsch

The Blue Brain project expects to have a full human-scale simulation of the cerebral cortex by 2018. I think that's a little optimistic, actually, but I do make the case that by 2029 we will have very detailed models and simulations of all the different brain regions.

Ray Kurzweil

Personally I'm hoping to spend the last years of my life plugged into a real life MMORPG simulation that makes me think and feel like I'm 18 again while my 90 year old body lies in a tube somewhere getting fed thru an IV. Be a great way to finish up a life.

Drew Curtis

Justgeo1
02-06-15, 04:26 PM
Deep down, the US, with its space, its technological refinement, its bluff good conscience, even in those spaces which it opens up for simulation, is the only remaining primitive society.

Jean Baudrillard

The most important application of quantum computing in the future is likely to be a computer simulation of quantum systems, because that's an application where we know for sure that quantum systems in general cannot be efficiently simulated on a classical computer.

David Deutsch

The Blue Brain project expects to have a full human-scale simulation of the cerebral cortex by 2018. I think that's a little optimistic, actually, but I do make the case that by 2029 we will have very detailed models and simulations of all the different brain regions.

Ray Kurzweil

Personally I'm hoping to spend the last years of my life plugged into a real life MMORPG simulation that makes me think and feel like I'm 18 again while my 90 year old body lies in a tube somewhere getting fed thru an IV. Be a great way to finish up a life.

Drew Curtis

I like the idea that Mr. Curtis has... just let the brain play and let the body just exist... My brain works well, it's my body that's not working so great!

Duke of Buckingham
02-06-15, 06:26 PM
I like the idea that Mr. Curtis has... just let the brain play and let the body just exist... My brain works well, it's my body that's not working so great!

:o

Duke of Buckingham
02-07-15, 02:27 AM
“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

Horace quotes (Ancient Roman Poet. 65 BC-8 BC)

Duke of Buckingham
02-08-15, 06:51 AM
Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.

Desmond Tutu

We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Duke of Buckingham
02-11-15, 04:05 PM
Bad officials are the ones elected by good citizens who do not vote.

George Jean Nathan

Duke of Buckingham
02-14-15, 07:57 AM
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”

― Anne Frank

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

― Augustine of Hippo

Duke of Buckingham
02-16-15, 02:52 PM
Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.

Albert Einstein

Duke of Buckingham
02-17-15, 07:49 AM
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.

Winston Churchill

In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.

Albert Einstein

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.

Potter Stewart

Duke of Buckingham
02-19-15, 04:41 AM
"We have sinned against the dignity of people, especially in Greece and Portugal and often in Ireland," acknowledged Jean-Claude Juncker this Wednesday, February 18th.

Duke of Buckingham
02-20-15, 03:49 AM
The bride and groom were in the altar, ready to say "yes", but an epileptic attack changed everything. The groom fainted and the bride angry for not knowing the future husband disease, married a guest.

Duke of Buckingham
02-22-15, 04:56 AM
My Own Life
Oliver Sacks on Learning He Has Terminal Cancer
By OLIVER SACKSFEB. 19, 2015

A MONTH ago, I felt that I was in good health, even robust health. At 81, I still swim a mile a day. But my luck has run out — a few weeks ago I learned that I have multiple metastases in the liver. Nine years ago it was discovered that I had a rare tumor of the eye, an ocular melanoma. Although the radiation and lasering to remove the tumor ultimately left me blind in that eye, only in very rare cases do such tumors metastasize. I am among the unlucky 2 percent.

I feel grateful that I have been granted nine years of good health and productivity since the original diagnosis, but now I am face to face with dying. The cancer occupies a third of my liver, and though its advance may be slowed, this particular sort of cancer cannot be halted.

It is up to me now to choose how to live out the months that remain to me. I have to live in the richest, deepest, most productive way I can. In this I am encouraged by the words of one of my favorite philosophers, David Hume, who, upon learning that he was mortally ill at age 65, wrote a short autobiography in a single day in April of 1776. He titled it “My Own Life.”

“I now reckon upon a speedy dissolution,” he wrote. “I have suffered very little pain from my disorder; and what is more strange, have, notwithstanding the great decline of my person ...

... On the contrary, I feel intensely alive, and I want and hope in the time that remains to deepen my friendships, to say farewell to those I love, to write more, to travel if I have the strength, to achieve new levels of understanding and insight. ...

... This is not indifference but detachment — I still care deeply about the Middle East, about global warming, about growing inequality, but these are no longer my business; they belong to the future. I rejoice when I meet gifted young people — even the one who biopsied and diagnosed my metastases. I feel the future is in good hands. ...

... Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.

Read more on http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opinion/oliver-sacks-on-learning-he-has-terminal-cancer.html

Duke of Buckingham
02-25-15, 04:21 AM
"Sam Houston: You will remember this battle! Each minute! Each second! Until the day that you die! But that is for tomorrow, gentlemen. For today, Remember The Alamo!"
The Alamo

Duke of Buckingham
03-01-15, 08:05 AM
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

― Walter Cronkite

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”

― Margaret Mead

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”

― Mark Twain

“Ideally, what should be said to every child, repeatedly, throughout his or her school life is something like this: 'You are in the process of being indoctrinated. We have not yet evolved a system of education that is not a system of indoctrination. We are sorry, but it is the best we can do. What you are being taught here is an amalgam of current prejudice and the choices of this particular culture. The slightest look at history will show how impermanent these must be. You are being taught by people who have been able to accommodate themselves to a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. It is a self-perpetuating system. Those of you who are more robust and individual than others will be encouraged to leave and find ways of educating yourself — educating your own judgements. Those that stay must remember, always, and all the time, that they are being moulded and patterned to fit into the narrow and particular needs of this particular society.”

― Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook

“The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.”

― C.S. Lewis

Duke of Buckingham
03-02-15, 09:56 AM
“That was one of the saddest things about people--their most important thoughts and feelings often went unspoken and barely understood.”

― Alexandra Adornetto, Halo

Duke of Buckingham
03-05-15, 05:00 PM
“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.”

― Sophia Loren

“I finally know the difference between pleasing and loving, obeying and respecting. It has taken me so many years to be okay with being different, and with being this alive, this intense. (xxvi)”

― Eve Ensler, I am an Emotional Creature

Duke of Buckingham
03-06-15, 08:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ204VIE1jE

Duke of Buckingham
03-09-15, 11:40 AM
All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.

Leo Tolstoy

Duke of Buckingham
03-09-15, 11:50 AM
All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.

All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us.

The greater the state, the more wrong and cruel its patriotism, and the greater is the sum of suffering upon which its power is founded.

In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful.

Leo Tolstoy

Duke of Buckingham
03-12-15, 10:47 AM
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

Charles R. Swindoll quotes (American Writer and Clergyman, b.1934)

Duke of Buckingham
03-16-15, 09:21 AM
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

Walt Disney

You can never quit. Winners never quit, and quitters never win.

Ted Turner

The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.

Morgan Freeman

Duke of Buckingham
03-17-15, 06:04 AM
My Thought for the Day, is to all that like to gamble with life.
http://www.sopapeldeparede.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/poker-symp-1600x1200.jpg

If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.

Paul Newman

Well, capitalism is going to grow and grow. The nature of it is that the guy who has the most poker chips on the table has more leverage than everyone else. He can eventually outbluff everyone else and outraise everyone else at the table. That's what has happened and it needs to be corrected.

Simon Baker

Life, like poker has an element of risk. It shouldn't be avoided. It should be faced.

Edward Norton

I sail, run dogs, ride horses, play professional poker and tell stories about the stuff I've been through. And I'm still a romantic; I still want Bambi to make it out of the fire.

Gary Paulsen

Duke of Buckingham
03-21-15, 10:06 AM
“If after I die, people want to write my biography, there is nothing simpler. They only need two dates: the date of my birth and the date of my death. Between one and another, every day is mine.”

― Fernando Pessoa, Poems of Fernando Pessoa

Duke of Buckingham
03-22-15, 03:57 AM
Visits always give pleasure, if not the arrival, the departure.

Portuguese quote

Duke of Buckingham
03-29-15, 08:48 AM
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”

― André Gide, Autumn Leaves

Duke of Buckingham
03-31-15, 04:12 PM
We will honor every challenge with our presence.
We will win or not but most important of all, we will be there.

Being first have some duties, I think.

Damn Crazy Duke :p

Duke of Buckingham
04-01-15, 09:15 AM
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you”

Friedrich Nietzsche

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”

Adolf Hitler

Duke of Buckingham
04-06-15, 11:22 AM
"Kiss Me" - "There She Goes" Version (Official)
sixpenceofficial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45F0YesdZM

Hold me like I am the last person you want in your arms. kiss me like it is going to be the last kiss you're ever going to taste. Hug me Like you want me forever. But most of all... Love me like I am the one you always dreamed of.

Protect me. Love me. kiss me. Hold me. Smile with me. Laugh with me. But don't make me fall if you don't plan on catching me.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
04-08-15, 04:20 AM
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale, live in Denmark 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM
Procol Harum performing A Whiter Shade of Pale with the Danish National Concert Orchestra and choir at Ledreborg Castle, Denmark in August 2006.

Duke of Buckingham
04-09-15, 04:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRD49AFxJVI
Genesis - Follow You Follow Me [Official Music Video]

Stay with me
My love, I hope you'll always be
Right here by my side if ever I need you
Oh, my love

In your arms
I feel so safe and so secure
And everyday is such a perfect day to spend
Alone with you

I will follow you, will you follow me?
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you, will you stay with me?
Just one single tear in each passing year

With the dark
Oh, I see so very clearly now
All my fears are drifting by me
So slowly now, fading away

I can say
The night is long but you are here
Close at hand, oh, I'm better for the smile you give
And while I live

Just one single tear in each passing year there will be

Songwriters
RUTHERFORD, MICHAEL/COLLINS, PHIL/BANKS, TONY

Duke of Buckingham
04-13-15, 04:08 PM
A German woman of 65 years is pregnant with quadruplets. Annegret Raunigk, which already has 13 children and seven grandchildren, could become the oldest woman in the world to give birth to quadruplets. "I'm not afraid, I remain in good health and fit," said Raunigk.