PDA

View Full Version : Welcome PM to new members

Cruncher Pete
09-09-11, 06:33 PM
I am aware that Crazybob is doing a good job in keeping an eye on the stats as to who is new and I appreciate and thank him. Whilst I can not find a previous thread on this although I know there is, is there anybody actually writing a Welcome PM to these newbies and inviting them to the forum?. If not than I will volunteer to do so. If on the other hand if it is already under control, than we do not want too many cooks spoiling the broth...

Duke of Buckingham
09-09-11, 10:46 PM
:D Yes I need a formal invitation to start posting in the forum. :o I am very shy and was thinking if I could do that. CAN I CAN I?
<:-P<:-P<:-P<:-P<:-P

Shy Duke ;;)

http://macacojogabanana.com/wp-content/uploads/image/interessante/08-2011/very_shy_kid.jpg

CAN I, Just a little bit? CAN I?

Crazybob
09-12-11, 01:40 PM
I am aware that Crazybob is doing a good job in keeping an eye on the stats as to who is new and I appreciate and thank him. Whilst I can not find a previous thread on this although I know there is, is there anybody actually writing a Welcome PM to these newbies and inviting them to the forum?. If not than I will volunteer to do so. If on the other hand if it is already under control, than we do not want too many cooks spoiling the broth...

I don't think anything is sent when they join the team, only when they join the forums. You could send PM's through the projects, but this might be a large undertaking since you might have to track them down 1 by 1. Only team founders would have access to E-mail addresses for new members. I don't want to rain on your parade, if you can think of a way to do it, I don't see the harm in inviting newbies to the forums, we can always use more input and access to more people when the need arrises. :)

Crazybob
09-12-11, 01:41 PM
:D Yes I need a formal invitation to start posting in the forum. :o I am very shy and was thinking if I could do that. CAN I CAN I?
<:-P<:-P<:-P<:-P<:-P

Shy Duke ;;)

http://macacojogabanana.com/wp-content/uploads/image/interessante/08-2011/very_shy_kid.jpg

CAN I, Just a little bit? CAN I?

Man I wish I could get an invitation to that! ;)

trigggl
09-12-11, 06:36 PM
I don't think anything is sent when they join the team, only when they join the forums. You could send PM's through the projects, but this might be a large undertaking since you might have to track them down 1 by 1. Only team founders would have access to E-mail addresses for new members. I don't want to rain on your parade, if you can think of a way to do it, I don't see the harm in inviting newbies to the forums, we can always use more input and access to more people when the need arrises. :)

I'm thinking the Free-DC stat for when someone's team officially switches over to SETI.USA, it should be easy enough to find one of their most active projects and PM on that one. Of course, like Fish Head said, it would still be a large undertaking. I'm all for it, though.

Cruncher Pete
09-12-11, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately. there is even a further hurdle to overcome. Not all newbies will sign up to the message boards, which means there is no way we can communicate with them on a one to one basis. Never the less, I am going to pursue this line of invitation for even if I get one newbie to join this forum, it will be worth it.

Bok
09-12-11, 10:16 PM
I, for one, think it's totally worth it. This (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teamnewusers&team=SETI.USA) page gives a list of all new users joining. It's a fairly simple matter of clicking on the userid and then clicking on the link to their page at the project in question and PM'ing from there. If I can make it any easier with a link let me know and I'd be happy to do it. A simple cut and paste for a PM should then be enough.

As I've always said though, make it co-ordinated so they don't get PM's from multiple users as that may put them off IMO. Keep a record of it, perhaps.

Good luck, and again if there is anything I can do to track and make the process easier let me know..

Bok

trigggl
09-12-11, 11:11 PM
Following the link, I notice someone named Samantha_Carter joining our team on a lot of projects. "She" has a 9600GT that is being under-utilized. She also looks to be an MM'er.

Cruncher Pete
09-12-11, 11:51 PM
Thank you all for your support in this venture and in particular BOK who is providing the Member Movement in Free-DC Stats. BC has already made good use of it as he is promulgating it on a daily basis in our forum. Thank You.

I just thought that we should take it one step further and welcome the newbies in a PM if we are not capable of doing so in an email. So far, I have sent 12 PM's (Including Samantha_Carter) welcoming and inviting them to our forum. I realize that this is not an easy road for in order to send a PM the member has to register in their project's Message Board in the first place and hope that they will log in their account and see that there is a PM waiting for them. Never the less, I view this exercise worthwhile if just one of them will join the forum.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...:)