PDA

View Full Version : Yafu

Slicker
09-10-11, 09:57 AM
YAFU (http://yafu.dyndns.org/yafu/) is a alpha project, which main goal is it to test the latest Boinc server code for bugs. Please report any error which you find in the webpages in the forum.
In parallel to this it factorize numbers of 80-110 digit length which needs to be factored.

The project is run by Yoyo of the Yoyo@home.

Slicker
09-10-11, 09:57 AM
Origin of the name: Could "yafu" be short for "Yet Another Fracking Update" since it tests new BOINC server releases?

Mumps
09-10-11, 11:31 AM
Origin of the name: Could "yafu" be short for "Yet Another Fracking Update" since it tests new BOINC server releases?

Actually, try running their executable outside of BOINC. :)

"Yet Another Factoring Utility"

I learned that getting it to run on my Linux host. But I agree with your alternate acronym.

conf
01-31-14, 01:31 PM
Yafu : How to use
This project takes all your cores and can even stop your Gpu.
BUT, it remembers the amount of free cores while it is loading down new WUs.
With 8 cores you set cpu usage to 50% and then load down new WUs from yafu.
Dont forget to stop getting new WUs.
Then go back to 100% and yafu will run on only 4 cores.

pinhodecarlos
01-31-14, 03:10 PM
Yafu is a waste of time in factoring small random numbers from factordb.com. You should run NFS@Home instead.

cineon_lut
01-31-14, 03:15 PM
Yafu is a waste of time in factoring small random numbers from factordb.com. You should run NFS@Home instead.

The same could be argued about most mathematical projects. Crunching just for crunching's sake. But sometimes we need points in challenges.

EDIT: I should have added that there is increased interest in YAFU as of now because of its positive impact on our Formula Boinc results. It was easy-pickins for the points. :)

conf
01-31-14, 03:23 PM
Yep, I`m crunching NFS now and will do this more often, but I want to have my Million credits from Yafu too.
I have no idea what most of the math-projects do, this is only for the numbers.
If it should make sense I tend to the Medicine ones and I`m mainly focused on them,
but sometimes numbers are only numbers and 1 Million sounds good.

EmSti
03-20-14, 11:23 PM
Moved to correct thread

EmSti
03-21-14, 11:48 AM
Working perfectly 26 valid wus for ~60,000 in credits so far using only 16 threads overnight. No invalids.

Slicker
03-21-14, 12:48 PM
Working perfectly 26 valid wus for ~60,000 in credits so far using only 16 threads overnight. No invalids.

Is that 60K in a day on one PC? If so, that's awesome credit.

zombie67
03-21-14, 12:53 PM
It's credit new. So it starts out granting good credits, then trails off to very bad credits.

EmSti
03-21-14, 01:04 PM
3 pcs using 5 thread on 2 pcs and 6 threads on the third. The pc with 6 threads has only reported one wu for 6 credits, it has 6 wus still running; over 14 hours each. When that drops it should be an even larger boost.

Mumps
03-21-14, 05:55 PM
Actually, I bet you've found a way to game the YAFU system for points here. IIRC, it has Credit-New tweaked for MT, so the number of cores gets factored in with the time consumed, so I bet you get outrageously good credits, even after CreditNew castrates you...