PDA

View Full Version : Need to format HD

mrlumu
09-17-11, 10:24 AM
I am having problems with one of my boxes (multiple BSOD) ~X( . It varies between about 4 different messages plus it does random reboots so I am looking at just reformating the HD and starting over. Which BOINC files do I need to save? I've done this before but it has been several years ago. This is on an Atom processor running Win7.

Thanks
mrlumu

Fire$torm
09-17-11, 10:54 AM
OK this should help

From the FAQ Service - The Big BOINC 6 Answer Thread. (http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=376)

BOINC 6 uses separate directories for its executables and data files. These directories cannot be merged any more as that will give problems. Data files are all the files that can be written to.

The default directory where BOINC will install its executables to is:
Windows 32bit: C:\PROGRAM FILES\BOINC\
Windows 64bit: C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\BOINC\
Linux: wherever you are unpacking it/BOINC/
Macintosh: /Applications/BOINC/

The default directory where BOINC will install the data files to is:
Windows 98/SE/ME: C:\Windows\All Users\BOINC\ or C:\Windows\Profiles\All Users\BOINC\ (*)
Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC\ (*)
Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\BOINC\ (*)
Linux: wherever you unpack it/BOINC/
Macintosh OS X: /Library/Applications Support/BOINC/

(*) This directory may well be hidden, so either put the path to it directly into Windows Explorer, or instruct Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

You can just copy the folders but if you want or need to save space Winzip and WinRar will by default save the full path while archiving. I like either better then Windows backup utility.