PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hangs During SetUp

Maxwell
11-07-10, 11:08 AM
I've been trying to fix this last night and this morning...

I've got this old Dell Dimension 2400 that I'm trying to bring to life again. It had been running fine for a long time, but then the HDD crapped out a while back. New HDD in there (thanks, DrPop), and I begin the setup process.

Throw in the OS install disk, and everything is well. Setup starts, runs like it has any of the several other times I've reinstalled the OS. However, when it gets to the part where the machine requires the restart for the first time, it hangs. Complete freeze during the reboot process, requiring a hard shut-down.

One time, during the course of my attempts to fix this, I got this error:
driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

But every other time, it just hangs, freezes, and goes no further. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Beerdrinker
11-07-10, 11:13 AM
Pardon me for asking...But you did format the drive before installing anything rigth? If no...Thatīs the problem...

If yes....Iīll bet it to be some sort of driver problem...

Maxwell
11-07-10, 11:18 AM
Pardon me for asking...But you did format the drive before installing anything rigth? If no...Thatīs the problem...

If yes....Iīll bet it to be some sort of driver problem...
Yep. Quick format, full format, both. And I've removed every non-essential piece of hardware in there. Currently I only have the HDD, optical drive, power supply, mouse, keyboard (those last two are the Dell ones that came with the computer), and monitor connected.

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 11:31 AM
Dell Dimension 2400, hmmm... are you sure you're putting enough coal into the firebox?

hehehehe Sorry, I couldn't resist. I had two of these rigs one of which still runs and the other was a fickle son of a gun that wouldn't recognize any HDD I put into it. I finally gave up and tossed it in the trash.

In my opinion, I'm not sure it's worth the power to run honestly; I don't pay for power where I live so that is the only reason I run mine. I know it's another core but it just takes so long to run a task on it.

I'm just throwing this out there... Is the OS the original that came with it? If not I'm wondering if maybe there isn't enough RAM for it to load or perhaps the swap page file is too small for it to move instructions around?

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 11:36 AM
On a bit of a side note, the one thing I do love about Dell is the Dell Partition that they put on their machines. The Ctrl-F11 key combo puts everything back to new again; it's a great feature that I would like to recreate something similar on my systems.

Although it doesn't really do you much good when the HDD gives up the ghost.

Maxwell
11-07-10, 11:40 AM
This is the original OS install disk that was sent to me with the computer. Nothing fancy here...

And power is actually pretty cheap here. That's not too much of a concern for me. However, I can get this box to spit out ~8k/day, which is why I want to get it back up and running again.

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 12:36 PM
Okay, I just had a thought that might prove to be useful. You said that you got the HDD from DrPop for the Dell.

Something similar happened to me, I was installing Windows Vista on one of my new rigs using an old HDD. It would run setup and format the HDD just fine but when it tried to boot it would lockup the system for no apparent reason. It retried about 4 times with the same results.

My solution was, I bought a brand new HDD put it in the rig and tried reinstalling the OS; it installed and fired up the first time.

I have no idea why it wouldn't work with the old drive, there just seemed to be something the system didn't like about it.

Maxwell
11-07-10, 01:19 PM
With the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error (I got it again...) I get the following error sequence:

0x000000D1 (0x000001F7, 0x00000007, 0x00000001, 0xF755F64B)

Fire$torm
11-07-10, 01:21 PM
1) Double check the jumper(s) on the HDD. Many IDE drives do not require the presence of a jumper for a single "Master" drive while others do.

2) Boot the Dell with a Linux Live-CD like Ubuntu. Run gparted (a partition manager) to remove ALL partitions, including that friggin hidden Dell partition, form the HDD and format it as either fat32 or NTFS.

3) Do NOT use the Dell installation disk. Use a retail Windows install CD. If you do not have one for the version of Windows you have the license for let me know and I can Rapidshare an iso of it for you or you can DL it from me via FTP.

Edit: What is the make and model of the HDD?

Maxwell
11-07-10, 02:16 PM
I'm currently working off the theory that this is not a HDD issue - because I've tried three different HDDs in there.

I'm also beginning to think that this may be some other hardware failure - I'm going to start futzing with things later today.

@FS: Thanks for those thoughts: No jumpers, and I'm going to try a real XP disk in a while.

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 02:49 PM
I'm currently working off the theory that this is not a HDD issue - because I've tried three different HDDs in there.

I'm also beginning to think that this may be some other hardware failure - I'm going to start futzing with things later today.

@FS: Thanks for those thoughts: No jumpers, and I'm going to try a real XP disk in a while.

You have far more patience than I do; at this point this Dell 2400 would be getting the Heather LaCroix (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?166-Girls-with-Guns&p=467&viewfull=1#post467) treatment (please see link at ~3.00 minute mark) with her 10 gauge shotgun about now.

trigggl
11-07-10, 03:02 PM
1) Double check the jumper(s) on the HDD. Many IDE drives do not require the presence of a jumper for a single "Master" drive while others do.

2) Boot the Dell with a Linux Live-CD like Ubuntu. Run gparted (a partition manager) to remove ALL partitions, including that friggin hidden Dell partition, form the HDD and format it as either fat32 or NTFS.

3) Do NOT use the Dell installation disk. Use a retail Windows install CD. If you do not have one for the version of Windows you have the license for let me know and I can Rapidshare an iso of it for you or you can DL it from me via FTP.

Edit: What is the make and model of the HDD?
Beat me to it. I was about to suggest items 1 and 2. If none of that works, I'd consider looking far a firmware update. I was able to find firmware for my Inspiron 530, so it stands to reason there is firmware for that Dell. I don't know if it makes a difference, but also check the system time and make sure you have a fresh CMOS battery.

Fire$torm
11-07-10, 04:45 PM
Beat me to it. I was about to suggest items 1 and 2. If none of that works, I'd consider looking far a firmware update. I was able to find firmware for my Inspiron 530, so it stands to reason there is firmware for that Dell. I don't know if it makes a difference, but also check the system time and make sure you have a fresh CMOS battery.
Duh!!! Can't believe I overlooked that one. Excellent suggestion trigggl.

I would suggest making sure the BIOS can detect the HDD. Most BIOS's default to autodetect. Go through the IDE settings to see if the HDD make and model is listed. Also examine the pins of the IDE port on the motherboard. Look for oxidized or bent/broken pins. And lastly, try a different IDE cable as the current one may have a faulty connection.

Maxwell
11-07-10, 05:42 PM
Used a real XP install disk, and am making progress. The computer freezes rightafter the screen with the MS window...

I have half a mind to just do what STM suggested and locate a shot gun...:-L

trigggl
11-07-10, 06:57 PM
Used a real XP install disk, and am making progress. The computer freezes rightafter the screen with the MS window...

I have half a mind to just do what STM suggested and locate a shot gun...:-L

I'd go with a cross bow, or if you can't afford one, a compound bow.

Maxwell
11-07-10, 08:40 PM
I've had another break-through. I made myself bleed. This usually doesn't happen on a project unless I'm nearing a successful conclusion...

Note: I didn't make myself bleed doing anything software related. Pulling out the heatsink and CPU to clean and reseat got me.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-07-10, 09:31 PM
You might try changing the RAM as well.. I had an old rig once that gave me that error until I changed the RAM. memtest86+ revealed that there was a faulty stick..

trigggl
11-07-10, 10:09 PM
I've had another break-through. I made myself bleed. This usually doesn't happen on a project unless I'm nearing a successful conclusion...

Note: I didn't make myself bleed doing anything software related. Pulling out the heatsink and CPU to clean and reseat got me.

In my days working on helicopter radios in the Army I found that a hammer is a great diagnostic tool. Just keep hitting things until it stops working and then you'll know what the problem is. This method is most effective when you use a rubber mallet. Metal hammers tend to produce false positives.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-07-10, 10:34 PM
In my days working on helicopter radios in the Army I found that a hammer is a great diagnostic tool. Just keep hitting things until it stops working and then you'll know what the problem is. This method is most effective when you use a rubber mallet. Metal hammers tend to produce false positives.
That kinda goes along with what my dad used to tell me.. All you need to fix anything is a roll of duct tape and a hammer :D

Maxwell
11-07-10, 10:51 PM
;877']That kinda goes along with what my dad used to tell me.. All you need to fix anything is a roll of duct tape and a hammer :D
That's entirely a lie - you also need WD-40 for things that don't move, but should...

trigggl
11-07-10, 11:42 PM
That's entirely a lie - you also need WD-40 for things that don't move, but should...

How could I forget the WD-40? The electrons aren't moving back and forth to the hard drive. I think the hard drive could use a good dose. Hit it a few times with the hammer and make sure the fan is duct taped to the CPU.

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 11:47 PM

I'm glad you clarified that, I was going to ask how does one manage to bleed installing software. :))

trigggl
11-08-10, 07:21 AM
I'm glad you clarified that, I was going to ask how does one manage to bleed installing software. :))

Have you never heard of 'bleeding edge software'?

c303a
11-08-10, 09:19 AM

We used to make sure to use a good ball peen hammer on the turbine sections of the helicopters that I worked on. Of course the duct tape was used to repair holes in the blades. Of course for the radial piston engines anything went. Those things were bullet proof.

Slicker
11-08-10, 10:04 AM
;877']That kinda goes along with what my dad used to tell me.. All you need to fix anything is a roll of duct tape and a hammer :D

I remember being told, "If it doesn't fit, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer!"

c303a
11-08-10, 11:43 AM
I remember being told, "If it doesn't fit, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer!"

I was taught that in aircraft maintenance school at Ft. Rucker, Al. way back when.:D