PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

DAD
10-09-11, 03:21 PM
Cruncher Pete told me about the forums and said to post to this thread.

Hi everyone. I used to run Seti@Home way back in the 2000-2003 era, and I also ran it via Boink at some points between 2005-2008, but I've long since lost/changed the email and passwords I used to run it on. So I fired it up with new accounts for several projects. I'm running an Alienware machine I just got a month or so ago with a nice i7-2600K liquid cooled cpu. I'm one of the lucky ones, and I've been able to keep it stable in turbo mode running at 5.8Ghz. Granted that does make the h20 cooling fan sort of sound like an airplane taking off if I run all 8 logical cores at once. I'm going to replace my 560ti with 2 of the best nvidia dual gpu cards than I can find in a few months. That way I can game on 2 gpu cores, and crunch boinc on the other 2 - although, I have not seen any settings in boinc telling it to limit gpu use like cpu. so I still may have to suspend GPU use when I game.

If I do locate my old boinc project logins, is there a way to combine their stats?

DAD
10-09-11, 03:40 PM
Here are my total credits so far since I started up boinc around the 4th-6th of Oct

http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_2276647.gif

shralper
10-09-11, 04:52 PM
Welcome back!

I'm glad you decided to come back!

I'm quite jealous of that cpu haha, what temp does it run at with the liquid cooling? And about graphics cards, I'm not sure what price range your looking for but I'm going to be upgrading and adding the GTX 570 to my rig pretty soon. I've done quite a bit of research on them the last week so let me know if you have any questions.

Cruncher Pete
10-09-11, 06:14 PM
Hi David. Glad you returned to Boincing and found us. Welcome. You have a nice set-up there, that i7 2600 is a real nice machine. Together with a couple of GPU" you will be Rocking.

As regards your old credentials, if you are lucky enough to find out what email address you used at the time, you can try to log in with your old email address and request a new password assuming you have forgotten it. Once you can log in with your old credentials than all you need to do is change your Account Details. Your CPID will than change in a few days. It is important that you use the same Name, Email Address and Password in all projects otherwise you will end up with a split CPID and your statistic will still show you up as two or more of you...

Enjoy your stay and have fun doing it.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...
CP

DAD
10-09-11, 07:49 PM
Welcome back!

I'm glad you decided to come back!

I'm quite jealous of that cpu haha, what temp does it run at with the liquid cooling? And about graphics cards, I'm not sure what price range your looking for but I'm going to be upgrading and adding the GTX 570 to my rig pretty soon. I've done quite a bit of research on them the last week so let me know if you have any questions.

going to get 2 590s for 4 total GPUs.

My temps hover around 65-70c with boinc going full out at 100%/100%. And from what I see, those temps are ok with this CPU.

Also keep in mind, I put a 12,000 BTU window AC unit right above my computer and set it to 55F.. and the nice thing about this AW is the top of it looks like swiss cheese. So I point the AC grills down and ice cold air from the AC unit blows right into the case. The 3 case temp sensors for ambient air usually read about 15-18c. The hot air blows out the back of the PC the up into the AC intake, then the ice cold air blows right down into the case through the case holes

Fire$torm
10-09-11, 07:54 PM
going to get 2 590s for 4 total GPUs.

My temps hover around 65-70c with boinc going full out at 100%/100%. And from what I see, those temps are ok with this CPU.

Also keep in mind, I put a 12,000 BTU window AC unit right above my computer and set it to 55F.. and the nice thing about this AW is the top of it looks like swiss cheese. So I point the AC grills down and ice cold air from the AC unit blows right into the case. The 3 case temp sensors for ambient air usually read about 15-18c. The hot air blows out the back of the PC the up into the AC intake, then the ice cold air blows right down into the case through the case holes

Now THAT is a dedicated cooling solution..... :P

DAD
10-09-11, 07:54 PM
Hi David. Glad you returned to Boincing and found us. Welcome. You have a nice set-up there, that i7 2600 is a real nice machine. Together with a couple of GPU" you will be Rocking.

As regards your old credentials, if you are lucky enough to find out what email address you used at the time, you can try to log in with your old email address and request a new password assuming you have forgotten it. Once you can log in with your old credentials than all you need to do is change your Account Details. Your CPID will than change in a few days. It is important that you use the same Name, Email Address and Password in all projects otherwise you will end up with a split CPID and your statistic will still show you up as two or more of you...

Enjoy your stay and have fun doing it.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...
CP

I found my old accounts, but here's my issues

1) the old accounts are under dave@athenon.net
2) My "new" accounts are under ddutton@me.com
3) The new accounts already have more stats than the old accounts

From what I read if you have 2 separate email accounts for each project there is no way to combine them? If not, then I'll probably just stay with the new ones, as I've been able to crunch more in a month than I did back from 2001-2005 LOL

DAD
10-09-11, 07:59 PM
Now THAT is a dedicated cooling solution..... :P

Cheap too.. this window AC unit was only $275. If need be, I can rig up something and attach it to the AC (something tube like), and run the air right into the case (forced air vs blown in), and that would act almost like a giant system wide fan for the PC.

If I did that, I could probably push this to 6Ghz. I'm also very heat intolerant and love the cold. So my house is kept at 62-65F year round. It's 2 stories with 2 central AC/Heat units (one for each story). The window AC was put in here to keep this machine cool and to keep the machine from acting like a heater and heating up the room :)

Fire$torm
10-09-11, 08:08 PM

From what I read if you have 2 separate email accounts for each project there is no way to combine them? If not, then I'll probably just stay with the new ones, as I've been able to crunch more in a month than I did back from 2001-2005 LOL

AS long as you do not have two different accounts on the same project then your OK. For your old accounts just change your user name/email/password to what the new accounts have. For a short time your stats will swing back and forth between the old and new CPIDs (Which as I have been told are MD5 hashes generated from your email address) but will eventually settle on the new one. If stats remain split you will need to crunch all the projects listed in your stats, on a single machine, for a short time. Something like 2~4 wu's from each project. This will force all the projects to accept your new CPID. If any projects form the old account are retired then you are pretty much stuck with a split CPID. In that case, if you do not mind not having those credits as part of your new CPID then just create new accounts on the projects you crunched in the past. Just be aware of the fact that you will essentially have two BOINC identities but it will avoid a persistent split CPID issue.

Mike029
10-09-11, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the team!!! Man you'll be putting up some serious stones with those rigs. :cool:

Crazybob
10-10-11, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the team! Glad you joined us.

Crazybob's Son
10-10-11, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the team!

DrPop
10-13-11, 08:07 AM
Thanks for joining us, and very nice rig! That is quite the O/C. My AMD 1100T is maxing at 4GHz with the little air cooler I have on it, so I back it off to 3.6 or so for 24/7 crunching. Maybe someday I will get a water cooling setup like I always dreamed of. Well, welcome to the team! :D

TLD
10-21-11, 04:37 PM

I started with SETI in 1999 and crunched on and off for a while. When i started crunching again a few years back i had the same problem you are having so i found my old login name and password and lodged in at SETI with it, then went to the user control panel and changed the email address and user name to the one's i'm using now and it worked, a few days later my old classic stats were shown on my SETI account page.

The SETI classic points do not convert to BOINC points however so i guess it just a nostalgic thing.