PDA

View Full Version : Can't get boinc working with 2 nvidia cards

DAD
10-11-11, 11:47 PM
I have 2 590s on order so I'd like to sort this out before they get here.

right now I have a 560TI and 250 in the system. I have set, in the nvidia control panel to allow all GPUs for cuda use.. yet boink will only use 1 GPU at a time

I made a file called: cc_config.xml and added:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

oh wait.. i think it might need to finish existing cuda apps.. i think the ones started on the 560 may not run on the 250... but just in case.. does it look like im missing anything?

.. but it still only uses 1 GPU

DAD
10-11-11, 11:59 PM
I just looked at my boinc logs and found this:

10/11/2011 11:46:08 PM | | NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (driver version 27533, CUDA version 4000, compute capability 2.1, 962MB, 855 GFLOPS peak)
10/11/2011 11:46:08 PM | | NVIDIA GPU 1 (not used): GeForce GTS 250 (driver version 27533, CUDA version 4000, compute capability 1.1, 967MB, 484 GFLOPS peak)

Fire$torm
10-12-11, 12:13 AM
I have heard reports from users that have this problem when the cards are of the same make but are of different GPU families. I do not remember any work arounds for this.

If you are planning on installing the 590s into the same system then this will be a non-issue. If you have a second machine for the 560 then maybe consider pairing it with an ATI GPU. That is how all three of my quads are setup, one ATI and one nVidia. Please note that for Windows boxes this only works on Vista/Win7.

DAD
10-12-11, 12:35 AM
Fixed it :) I had cc_config.xml put into the main boinc program folder when it needed to be in d:\program data\boinc :)

Now it's using both GPUs just fine.. and they can even resume each others work :) Just one card runs slower than the other

Damn this mobo has the 2 cards so close together that they are running at 90 to 100c... the 560 alone at MAX would never go over 60.. i'm going to have to instert something non conductive in between the cards to force more distance in between them

Edit: I wedged two things in between the 2 GPUs to give them about 1.5" more room and that got the temps under MAX load down to 70c, and I can live with that.

Fire$torm
10-12-11, 12:58 AM
Fixed it :) I had cc_config.xml put into the main boinc program folder when it needed to be in d:\program data\boinc :)

Now it's using both GPUs just fine.. and they can even resume each others work :) Just one card runs slower than the other

Damn this mobo has the 2 cards so close together that they are running at 90 to 100c... the 560 alone at MAX would never go over 60.. i'm going to have to instert something non conductive in between the cards to force more distance in between them

Edit: I wedged two things in between the 2 GPUs to give them about 1.5" more room and that got the temps under MAX load down to 70c, and I can live with that.

Well you could mod the case to allow you to move one card to a different location using a bus extender ---> http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/riser-cards-c-33_898.html?kw=&p[116][]=813&show=all

DAD
10-12-11, 12:00 PM
It just boggles me as to WHY any mobo manufacturer would put 2 PCI express 16 slots right next to each other. Everyone knows modern video cards take 2 slots, and this would put them so close fans won't get enough air.

There should always be 1 standard PCI slot in between them or even just 1 slot worth of space in between 2 pci-e 16 slots.

I'll have to look into some modding solution, OR mod my 2 590s that are coming and strip off the fans and add a GPU liquid cooling solution

DrPop
10-12-11, 12:22 PM
Dude! TWO 590's??? :D :D :D Man, I love your style. That is just insane. Glad to see you are getting the temps down, and to be honest, I can't figure out why mobo manufacturers don't think about stuff like that either.
Thanks for all the help!

DAD
10-12-11, 03:24 PM
I yanked that 250 from my system. It can't do double precision math. So many boinc gpu projects won't run on it, and the ones that do, take FOREVER. Decent gaming GPU, but utter crap for boinc, imo. I'll just leave the 560TI in it until my other 2 590s arrive and the telsa card arrives for the other cuda/fermi rig that I'm building. The cuda/fermi rig is an old Dell xps 710 with a dual core cpu at 2.4Ghz... but since it will be running a tesla card, the cpu really won't matter, it will fly through cuda WUs in the blink of an eye lol

Orakk
10-17-11, 02:03 AM
Well you could mod the case to allow you to move one card to a different location using a bus extender ---> http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/riser-cards-c-33_898.html?kw=&p[116][]=813&show=all
I have a case mod worked quite well though out hot south oz summers. Vibration became a problem for the drives so I ditched the case concept altogether in the end.

DrPop
10-17-11, 11:45 AM
Oh my goodness!!! =)):p That is insane! :cool::D

Fire$torm
10-17-11, 04:51 PM
Oh my goodness!!! =)):p That is insane! :cool::D

+++1 Holy Toledo! Commercial grade cooling solution. Totally RAD.

DAD
10-17-11, 07:35 PM
Ahahaha I LOVE IT! LOL

Actually I just put an 15000 BTU window AC unit in above my desktop then rigged the airflow to blow right into the PC.. it keeps the ambient air in the PC around 12-17c now :)