PDA

View Full Version : Not understanding something about credits...

DAD
10-14-11, 12:10 AM
Right now I have Boinc going on 2 dual core systems 24/7, one quad core 8 hrs a day, and one "8 core" 16-18hrs a day...

Why are the dual core machines (that run at 2.x ghz) getting REALLY high credit points from milkyway? (3000-4000) (For the nbody muli-core version)... but when I run the multi-core on my 8 core, it finishes in 2-5 mins and I get 200-400 credit

It seems I'm being penalized for finishing WUs faster on this machine? (at least for the multi core nbody version)

DrPop
10-14-11, 01:11 AM
Huh. That is strange. I have only really run MW on ATI GPUs, so not sure why it's doing that on the CPU. Do you have any ATI GPU, or do you simply prefer to run MW on CPU? I'm getting pretty good CPU credit with DiRT right now, Primaboinca is pretty good, and one of the PrimeGrid sub projects, I think it's the Proth LLR one is pretty good, but someone can correct me if I'm off on that.
Just a few to consider if that rig doesn't get sorted out on the MW stuff. I'm sure somebody the more knowledgeable MW guys could be of some help, though.

Fire$torm
10-14-11, 02:23 AM
That could part of a new award system with BOINC server code called CreditNew. This is supposed to be the great equalizer for all projects.

Or it could be Milkyway's Sub-Project called n-body. Check the quad just to make sure.

DAD
10-14-11, 12:04 PM
I'll grab some links to my machines so you all can see whats up... I went with multi core CPU for MW just for the fact I have so many other GPU based project at the moment.. and those multi core (especially the 8 core ones) versions of nbody finish in 2 minutes. The 2 and 4 core versions take about 1000-2000s on my 2 and 4 core machines, and they are getting tons of credit. I may try setting boinc on my 8 core machine to 50% then req new WUs from MW... it will then send 4 core WUs. I'd like to see if it's a bug in the higher end multi core units, or if it's some weird credit bug because this machine runs so fast.

(Once my 2 590s and my Tesla card (This card is going to SCREAM - 515 Gflops of DP math, and 1.03Tflops of single precision) get here, then I can do more varying GPU projects at once) :)

EDIT: MW@home removed a lot of my past WU history. It doesn't seem to keep them like other projects do. I'll have to experiment more later. Right now all my CPUs on all machines are being used to help grab us #1 in yafu.

Although my laptop HATES yafu.. Every WU gets an "error" and bails 1/2 way through. Come to think of it.. that generates CPU errors on 25% of it's projects. I may just restrict that machine to GPU only. I think I need to take it apart and clean the air ducts and filters and fans.