10-18-11, 04:53 AM
I found this cc_config option about an hour ago on the BOINC Wiki

<exclude_gpu>code</exclude_gpu>

Where the code is
<url>project_URL</url>
<device_num>N</device_num>
<type>ati | nvidia</type>
<app>appname</app>

"Don't use the given GPU for the given project. <type> is required if your computer has more than one type of GPU; otherwise it can be omitted. If <app> is specified, only tasks for the given application are excluded. You may include multiple <exclude_gpu> elements. Used in 6.13/7.0+"

This is a great way to manage a system with non-matching GPUs, like an ATI 6970 paired with an ATI 4850 in a single system. I needed this when I first got my 5830 but it didn't exist in version 6.10.xx of BOINC Manager.

I also found out how to start BOINC at user login without the GUI (BOINC Manager). I set it up using Windows Task Scheduler to launch boinc.exe with the command line options --launched_by_manager and --detach. Now BOINC will run in the background and can still be controlled remotely. I should have realized this since BOINC starts without a GUI in Linux as a daemon (Which I have installed on my laptop).

DAD
10-18-11, 05:23 AM
I put boinc in as a service. So it starts in windows before a user logs in and runs no matter who logs in

Fire$torm
10-18-11, 08:57 PM
I put boinc in as a service. So it starts in windows before a user logs in and runs no matter who logs in

I was going to go that route but in Win7 BOINC cannot use the GPU when installed as a service. M$ changed everything in Win7 so that services are isolated from exploitation by running them in a separate session, called session 0.