PDA

View Full Version : Boinc time estimate issues

DAD
10-24-11, 09:20 PM
To make a long story short... earlier today my display driver crashed causing boinc to crash.. when it came back up, I had HORRIFIC remaining times on my WUs anywhere from 40-800hrs. So I aborted everything, uninstalled and re-installed boinc.. got new WUs... same thing! Boinc must of sent something to each project with incorrect benchmarks of my computer... re running the benchmarks does nothing.... when a WU actually finished boinc does lower the eta of the next Wu somewhat... but at this pace, it will take AGES for me to get proper ETA.. suffice to say this is screwing with me getting new WUs

I found this stat on each projects, and I think it's why I'm getting messed up ETAs:

Task duration correction factor 65.574746

I compared that to my other, slower machines... and here is what a 2.4Ghz 2 core system is: Task duration correction factor 4.699747

So every project my i7 is connected to thinks it's 13X slower than a 2.4Ghz system.....

Any way to correct this? Or do I just let the projects figure it out as WUs come in faster than they think and they adjust that @ on its own?

zombie67
10-24-11, 11:03 PM
To make a long story short... earlier today my display driver crashed causing boinc to crash.. when it came back up, I had HORRIFIC remaining times on my WUs anywhere from 40-800hrs. So I aborted everything, uninstalled and re-installed boinc.. got new WUs... same thing! Boinc must of sent something to each project with incorrect benchmarks of my computer... re running the benchmarks does nothing.... when a WU actually finished boinc does lower the eta of the next Wu somewhat... but at this pace, it will take AGES for me to get proper ETA.. suffice to say this is screwing with me getting new WUs

I found this stat on each projects, and I think it's why I'm getting messed up ETAs:

Task duration correction factor 65.574746

I compared that to my other, slower machines... and here is what a 2.4Ghz 2 core system is: Task duration correction factor 4.699747

So every project my i7 is connected to thinks it's 13X slower than a 2.4Ghz system.....

Any way to correct this? Or do I just let the projects figure it out as WUs come in faster than they think and they adjust that @ on its own?

BOINC will use DCF to fix itself. It doesn't take very long really. Within a day or two, it will be back to normal. Just leave it alone to do its thing.

Slicker
10-25-11, 11:57 AM
Yep. DCF will get adjusted as the machine finishes more WUs. The only projects where that is not true are those where the runtime of the WUs is unknown. There are some projects where the runtime can vary from a few seconds to a few hours and those almost always cause problems as BOINC can't really know whether the 20 WUs it just download will finish in a minute or several days. When running projects like that, one has to keep the cache setting very low as well as limit the number of projects the host is crunching to that project and maybe one or two others.

DAD
10-25-11, 07:35 PM
Fixed my issues. I edited client_state.xml and changed all the values I found to "1"

<duration_correction_factor>1</duration_correction_factor>. I did a search for "duration_correction_factor"

Man there were numbers ranging from 29-256.. LOL.. once I shut down boinc, edited that file and restarted it, I now have very quick time estimates and boinc sent those new correction factors to my projects.

The problem was, I wasn't getting work for some projects because they ETA was past the deadline :)

only issue with setting everything back to 1 is some projects ETA are now a bit quicker than they should be.. but that should quickly fix itself.