PDA

View Full Version : Greets

Bear
11-10-11, 12:07 AM
Hey folks,

I was a SETI member during the Win98-mid XP era. Ran that until '07. Had to stop for various reasons. Picked up Einstein not quite a year ago. My lil AMD quad proc is doin ok! Should hit a million units by the end of the year. Nothing like what some of you guys are doing, but not shabby I don't think ;) Sorta boring doing this alone, and SETI.USA has a nice group going so I thought I'd toss my credits in and help out a skosh :) This should put some of the fun back in my cycles!

Bear

DrPop
11-10-11, 01:20 AM
Hi Bear! Thanks for joining us. Great to have you on board the SETI.USA! I'll go make you a "Team Member" on here so you have access to the whole place. ;)
Hope to see you around often!
Pops

Fire$torm
11-10-11, 01:29 AM
Howdy. Welcome aboard and thanks for joining up with us. Enjoy **==

Cruncher Pete
11-10-11, 01:35 AM
Hi Bear. Nice to make your acquaintance. Welcome aboard.=D>

spingadus
11-10-11, 01:44 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Mike029
11-10-11, 10:16 AM
Way to go Bear!!! I know what ya mean about boring. That is how I got involved. We have lots for you to look at. Any questions, just ask.

shralper
11-10-11, 10:58 AM
Welcome! Glad to have ya here and hope you enjoy the community!

c303a
11-10-11, 11:13 AM
Welcome aboard. Your lil AMD is just as welcome as someone with 10 computers. Any questions just ask. We have a great group and we all try to help out.

Beerdrinker
11-10-11, 12:19 PM
Hello there..

WELCOME to the team!

Crazybob
11-10-11, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the team and the boards! The big credits are made with your video card. Let us know what you have and we can see if your's is capable of crunch'n. Again, welcome!

Bear
11-10-11, 06:41 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is the most active board I've been on in a while! Sad, but true.

I just fired up the netbook and have Yafu going on that. Got the laptop going with Einstein and SETI. These 2 don't have seperate GPU's (I'm poor! LOL). I'll get back to you on the GPU on the main box. I think it's a Sapphire Radeon 9250, but it's been awhile since I looked at it. The daughter is on it at the moment.

Will check in later. Off to programming class.

Bear

DrPop
11-10-11, 07:07 PM
...Got the laptop going with Einstein and SETI. These 2 don't have seperate GPU's (I'm poor! LOL). I'll get back to you on the GPU...

Bear, welcome to the SETI.USA family, and please take my message the right way: today is a turning point for your psyche. You are not poor; I am sure you have an awesome Real Life (R.L. on these boards) family, and now you have us, the best 'Crunching Family" in BOINC Land. If you're one of us, we've got your back. Just send out a holler if you ever need any help.
What you are is broke. Poor is a state of mind, and unfortunately, there is no cure for it. Broke is a temporary lack of funding that will be remedied in the future. I learned that "mindset" lesson the hard way, even as a doc one has those problems! ;)
Wishing you the best in your programming studies, and appreciate all your help with the crunching. Whether it is any model CPU or GPU you have - as one of the guys said above, it matters not if you have 1 rig or 10, if you are part of SETI.USA.
Now, do be warned, there is this thing going around BOINC Land called the Crunching Bug, and if it bites you...well, you COULD end up with those 10 rigs in a real hurry some how! :)) :D ;)
Pops

Mike029
11-10-11, 07:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is the most active board I've been on in a while! Sad, but true.

Will check in later. Off to programming class.

Bear

Need any help with the class just ask. While I don't know much about programming others on this team do know a thing or two and are the best around.

spingadus
11-10-11, 07:41 PM
Need any help with the class just ask. While I don't know much about programming others on this team do know a thing or two and are the best around.

What forum would we post programming questions in? Just wondering as I was going to try and learn Lua programming.

Mike029
11-10-11, 07:45 PM
What forum would we post programming questions in? Just wondering as I was going to try and learn Lua programming.

Software, The Lounge, should be ok.

spingadus
11-10-11, 07:59 PM
Software, The Lounge, should be ok.

ok, thanks!

Bear
11-10-11, 11:38 PM
GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4800 Series, 512mb ram.

DrPop, you are very correct. I use my terminology somewhat loosely at times :o

DrPop
11-11-11, 12:04 AM
GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4800 Series...

I would try sticking it on Collatz and see what you get. Make sure you have a fairly new set of Catalyst drivers installed, because the newer ones will have the Stream / OpenCL API built into them. If yours are old, you will need to go to AMD.com and download some new ones (uninstall your old drivers first!). Then, you will have to attach to Collatz@home, and go into your account settings there and modify your preferences at the project to accept ATI GPU work units. That will be a nice "medium" intensity & very stable project utilizing Integer math, so you can monitor the heat and stability of the card before you try something more intense on it. ;)

Crazybob
11-11-11, 08:29 AM
Depending on whether it's a 4850 or better, you should be able to get about 70K to 90K a day. Other options for projects are Milkyway and MooWrapper. Other benefits are free home heating! :)

Bear
11-13-11, 08:37 PM
Hear ya on the heat. My laptop gets hot enough to burn my poor leg! My PC runs around 80C. Yes, I do in fact know that temp is waaay hot. Unless I can figure out a cheap liquid cooling solution I'm stuck with that. Darn thing has run hot since the day I built it. Has never run below 36C. Oh well.

And DrPop, you are right. Funding is always an issue with me, but the family is awesome. Once I get this programming thing figured out I'll be fine. Should have done this 20 years ago, but cest la vie.

Bear

Duke of Buckingham
11-14-11, 06:51 AM
http://favim.com/orig/201105/11/bear-glasses-laptop-lifestyle-mac-Favim.com-40814.jpghttp://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x8456164/teddy_bear_at_laptop_computer_700-02429299.jpg
There you are burning your leg. We have a song in Boinc about our computers burning burning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opY4qcidFk
Be most Welcome Bear feel at home that is what I do.

Crazy Duke feeling sligtly better.:p