PDA

View Full Version : boinc is all over the place

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 01:05 PM
Okies so my boinc wasn't que'ing extra work like i mentioned in my other post, so I changed the value to ten days which i normally don't do, but in case dirt decided to go down i wanted to have some wu's to crunch. Other than that I haven't changed any of my computing preferences. I have it set to switch applications every 900 minutes. I have dirt, WUprop, and freehal set at 100, and primegrid pps, and primaboinca set to 0. My numbers are coming up, but they seem to me to be erratic since i switched over to dirt. I was thinking it would be a few days for it to even out, but it's been about 4 days, one day it dropped to 200 credits for the day, when i avg between 7-8k, it's doing a yo-yo. Is that normal, and two if you look at my screenshot, you can see, where it starts crunching dirt wu's gets to 20-30% and keeps switching, so I never get anything done, I think that may be the reason for the yo-yo but not sure, figured you guys could throw me a few pointers.

Bryan
11-19-11, 01:20 PM
The problem with the unfinished wu is that you have so many wu in your cache that BOINC is putting you into the "High Priority" mode. Besides not allowing any more work to be downloaded, BOINC continuously takes a look at your cached wu and determines that your machine may not finish some other wu before the deadline and then changes which wu it is crunching. The method it uses is bascially pulling number from where the sun don't shine because it will stop crunching 1 wu and start another that has a later deadline.

The easiest way to fix this is to:
1. Drop your cache size down to a couple of days.
2. SUSPEND enough of the cached DirT wu so that BOINC stops saying "High Priority Mode"
3. As you need more wu for the CPU just RESUME a days worth or so but do NOT put it back in the HP mode.

If you do this then BOINC will do a wu from start to finish. When it has completely a wu it will "most likely" jump on one of the partially completed wus.

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 01:26 PM
ah so it was the cache that's messing me up, thanks for the quick reply

Bryan
11-19-11, 01:42 PM
You can also ABORT some of the wu after you have changed the number of days you are requesting for your cache. If you do this, abort the ones with the shortest deadline. If you DON'T abort them and just do the suspend, then you need to monitor you cache and make sure you don't go over the deadline. Theoretically, BOINC and the project should pull these before they expire but I NEVER rely on BOINC to do what it should do :))