PDA

View Full Version : BOINC: how to go back from 6.13.x?

zombie67
11-19-11, 09:29 PM
I need to move a couple machine back to 6.12.x from 6.13.x. I recall that requires some special procedure, but I don't recall where I read about it. Anyone know how do do it, or where the instructions are?

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 10:23 PM
Are you having failures uploading to projects? If so you can add a few lines to your config XML

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=7054
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.570202,-85.659688
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

zombie67
11-19-11, 10:34 PM
Yes, that is my problem. Unfortunately, that solution has to be implemented at the server side, not the client side. So until moo fixes their server, I need to revert to 6.12.

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't think it would be so hard to find the answer, I've been looking since i read your post, and all i'm seeing is do an uninstall and reinstall, or a rollback if you backed up your data before going to an alpha or beta. Are you running linux or something?

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 11:19 PM
If this is what you're looking for :

So, today I added an automated option for that in my BOINC FAQs, the BOINC Cleaner V1.zip. With thanks to Gundolf Jahn and Richard Haselgrove for testing it.

It will assume you uninstalled BOINC through Add/Remove programs, then downloaded this utility and started it. What it does is:
1. Uninstall the BOINC user accounts and groups.
2. Use the Windows 2003 Server Tool NTRights.exe to delete the User Rights Assignments.
3. Kills boinctray.exe if it is still running.
4. Read the BOINC Install directory and Data directory paths from the registry and subsequently delete both directories and all files and sub-directories included.
5. Finds and deletes the BOINC_Master directory or directories in the Documents and Settings directory (works on foreign language Windows as well, where the "Documents and Settings" directory is set in that language)
6. Deletes all BOINC related keys from the registry.

this is the link: http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=490

zombie67
11-19-11, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it looks like there is no way to do this easily. Any work in progress will be lost, so I will have to empty the queue first. I was hoping that there was some way to do this like a normal up/downgrade where that isn't necessary. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Cruncher Pete
11-19-11, 11:38 PM
Z, I just wonder but have no idea if this is correct but if you have no other info on it than it is worth a try before you delete everything completely. If you uninstall BOINC the normal way, it normally leaves behind the Data Directory since it is in a different folder than the main program. If this is so, than you should be able to install an earlier version and it should pick up the Data Directory automatically. If it is an early version where the Data was placed in a different Folder than copy and paste to the place where your version is located should fix that. If it does not work than you will have to delete the whole lot anyhow.

N1gh7m4r3
11-19-11, 11:41 PM
Your welcome, I did find this on the boinc development forum: Just to add a little bit to what Jord posted, if you try this new 6.13 build and try to go back to the 6.12 flavor you will lose any work you have on your computer at the time if you haven't backed up your data directory. (You will probably get it back as resend lost tasks though. )

sounds like you could back up the data directory, uninstall reinstall, replace the backed up data directory and continue.

Edit: Maybe not, the next post in that thread states :Clients that downgrade from this version to a previous version should see all projects reset (i.e. tasks disappear and then get re-downloaded). referring to downgrading from 6.13
and further reading :

INCOMPATIBILITY WARNING UPON RETURNING TO PREVIOUS BOINC VERSIONS: 6.13.3 or later
When you upgrade to this build from any 6.12 or previous versions, or from 6.13.0 or 6.13.1, then do know that here will be some changes to the client_state.xml file which will make it incompatible with older client software. We strongly suggest making a backup copy of the data directory before upgrading to the new build just in case something happens and you need to roll-back to an earlier build of BOINC. To clarify, when you upgrade to 6.13.3 or later, everything should work normally; work in progress will continue to run. When you downgrade from 6.13.3 or later to an earlier version, work in progress will disappear. You'll still be attached to all your projects. The client will fetch work from them; sometimes it will be re-issueing the previous work, but only if the project has 'resend lost work' on, and will start this from the beginning.