PDA

View Full Version : Downtime...

STMahlberg
11-14-10, 12:57 PM
Yesterday was a very frustrating day for me at the big pink house. I kept losing power to my entertainment system and most of my rigs that I have plugged in down the hall; the strange thing was that it kept coming back on but this issue was not effecting the entire house.

So I wander out into the common area of the house and happen to run into one of the other renters. Kevin says he lost power also, so I check the breakers and one won't reset and it feels as if the thing is going to burst into flames.

Leaving it off I wait till morning when the owner is usually working on something here; I tell him about the issue, so he starts checking all of the other panels that this house has, it's 12,000 sq ft by the way. So I following him to see if there is another issue.

Now, I'm not a certified electrician but I have 26 years of on and off electrical experience with Massive Dynamics along with having owned 3 homes, 2 of which I remodeled myself. John, the owner, starts showing me everything this breaker controls: half of my area I rent, part of Kevin's, the secret room, ceiling lighting in 3 rooms an I think a couple of street lights.

Granted, it's been a while since I browsed the old National Electric Code book but if I recall, you're not suppose to have more than 6 receptacles on a 20 amp breaker.

I have reluctantly turned my rigs back on but I think I will be monitoring this breaker closely as I am afraid this thing is going to burn the house down.

I have been planning on buying a house after the first of the year but now I'm thinking I should move sooner.

Maxwell
11-14-10, 08:05 PM
Wow... just wow. You should have punched the owner in the nuts.

DrPop
11-14-10, 09:50 PM
Hahaha...either that or replaced it with a 30AMP and PURCHASE HUGE RENTER INSURANCE POLICY! :D

STMahlberg
11-15-10, 02:37 AM
Just checked the breaker this morning and it seems to be fine. *crosses fingers*

On Thanksgiving week, I will be out of town so I will be taking all of my rigs offline for the duration.

thepossum1
11-15-10, 07:40 AM
OMG!! That is TOO scary!

Sheesh, my house is under 1k sq. ft. and I have TWO breaker boxes

Ditto what DrPop said--LOTS of renter's insurance!!! And maybe a little bug in the ear of the building inspector--that is just such a dangerous situation.

STMahlberg
11-19-10, 07:09 PM
Today I start shutting down all of my rigs; I'm going to let the tasks in progress bleed off and set everything to no new tasks. They'll be down completely sometime tomorrow as I prepare for my Dallas trip for Thanksgiving.

I don't know if I will get the chance to logon while I'm there but if I don't, I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Have a good time all. :)
Steve

joker
11-19-10, 07:35 PM
Enjoy your trip STM.

Maxwell
11-19-10, 08:50 PM
Today I start shutting down all of my rigs; I'm going to let the tasks in progress bleed off and set everything to no new tasks. They'll be down completely sometime tomorrow as I prepare for my Dallas trip for Thanksgiving.

I don't know if I will get the chance to logon while I'm there but if I don't, I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Have a good time all. :)
Steve
Have fun on your TG trip, sir! Enjoy Dallas!

Mike029
11-20-10, 12:48 AM
Enjoy your thanksgiving STM. Smart move shutting everything down till you return.

DrPop
11-20-10, 08:06 AM
STM, I have sure enjoyed your return to the team and wonderful (contagious I might add!) enthusiasm for our cause! Have a great, relaxing time away for thanksgiving, and a good re-charge session. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream does wonders. :D

Crazybob
11-20-10, 01:47 PM
Have a happy and safe trip STM. The building owner should really put another breaker in and off load some of the wiring to it. I have a similar problem with my house, but I can't get the money I spent sending my kid to college for electrical, to pay off with some re-wiring.:mad:

STMahlberg
11-28-10, 12:34 PM
I am back and ready to Rock N Roll!

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a great time in Dallas with my Mom and my oldest daughter Heather and her boyfriend drove down from Arkansas. I'll have to post some pics when I get the chance.

First thing I did when I got home was turn all of my rigs back on so they are all up and running. :)

Beerdrinker
11-28-10, 12:39 PM
I am back and ready to Rock N Roll!

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a great time in Dallas with my Mom and my oldest daughter Heather and her boyfriend drove down from Arkansas. I'll have to post some pics when I get the chance.

First thing I did when I got home was turn all of my rigs back on so they are all up and running. :)

Happy to hear you had a great time! Itīs so rewarding when you actually get to spend time "off-line" with family and friends.

DrPop
11-28-10, 12:59 PM
I'm so glad you had a great trip! Our time over here is flying by . . . A few more days in paradise for me. Glad to hear your rigs are back up, and above all that you had a safe return. You would be sorely missed around here!