PDA

View Full Version : DistRTgen: WU handout stop (likely 2+ weeks)

RSS
11-29-11, 10:40 PM
More details in my post here (https://www.freerainbowtables.com/phpBB3/topic3197.html).

More... (http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/forum_thread.php?id=66)

Mike029
11-29-11, 11:02 PM
I guess everyone will need to make sure PrimeGrid is set to the back up for Cuda. This DiRT issue won't stop the push as it will effects all team equally. It will keep us from seeing how high we can get our rac.

C'est la vie.

DrPop
11-30-11, 02:07 AM
Hmmm...and other things that come to mind. :p

rgathright
11-30-11, 09:25 AM
I am so confused right now... :-o

DrPop
12-02-11, 01:43 PM
You and me both. Looks like they are still giving out CPU WUs, though...for what it's worth, those are the highest credit pieces of BIONC your AMD hog can crunch! :D:cool: So, I would stay on DiRT until they are completely dry, but definitely switch those CUDA GPUs over to PG. In fact, if you set your PG to 0%, then it will automatically switch over like mine did after the DiRT CUDA WUs stop coming in...

Duke of Buckingham
12-02-11, 02:54 PM
I am so confused right now... :-o

I am confused for so long. No I am sorry maybe I am not or am I?

http://thevoiceofyouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/confused.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZCG4Nuy9ShA/S7hRYtSqxtI/AAAAAAAAACY/kR-JyttpteA/s1600/confused-monkey1.jpg

Duke\m/

STE\/E
12-02-11, 06:41 PM
Better watch out if you get any resend's, I got some this morning & a lot of them had validation errors ... b-( ... I set the Project to NNW for now ... http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/results.php?userid=217&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

DrPop
12-02-11, 06:54 PM
Hmmm...I see I did get one that went invalid, but all the others have been OK so far. I will keep an eye on this!

zombie67
12-02-11, 06:54 PM
Better watch out if you get any resend's, I got some this morning & a lot of them had validation errors ... b-( ... I set the Project to NNW for now ... http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/results.php?userid=217&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

So they complete normally, but don't validate? Or do they error out?

STE\/E
12-02-11, 06:57 PM
So they complete normally, but don't validate? Or do they error out?

They completed okay but didn't Validate, they will probably get validated eventually as quel run's the script ...

Mike029
12-02-11, 08:05 PM
They completed okay but didn't Validate, they will probably get validated eventually as quel run's the script ...

I took a hit as well. seven in total. I hope your right about them getting validated. we''ll see.

STE\/E
12-03-11, 05:52 AM
Filled my Caches this morning but so far almost everything is being marked Invalid after finishing successfully ... I posted in the DIRT Forum to alert them about it ... Sometimes I think this Project is more of a PITA than it's worth ... ~X(

DrPop
12-03-11, 01:25 PM
... I posted in the DIRT Forum to alert them about it ... Sometimes I think this Project is more of a PITA than it's worth ... ~X(

I agree, but then I am forced to admit that PG credits have dropped off in a very significant way. What is the deal with low credits? Why can't they just throw us a bone here. . . It's all imaginative points anyway, and it's not like it's hurting anyone to foster the competitive crunching atmosphere by giving decent credits for your project!

STE\/E
12-03-11, 03:33 PM
I agree, but then I am forced to admit that PG credits have dropped off in a very significant way. What is the deal with low credits? Why can't they just throw us a bone here. . . It's all imaginative points anyway, and it's not like it's hurting anyone to foster the competitive crunching atmosphere by giving decent credits for your project!

To make a long story short the PG Project claims we are only doing half the work with the GPU's that we were doing before thus 1/2 the Credit ...

Fire$torm
12-03-11, 06:09 PM
To make a long story short the PG Project claims we are only doing half the work with the GPU's that we were doing before thus 1/2 the Credit ...

That is because they have a strange definition of the word work. According to their postings since the current search being performed by the project only produces half the number of results, they should reduce granted credit. The TRUTH is that the current search is only half as EFFICIENT as the previous one. Which by the way is not OUR fault. A farmer doesn't pay a hired hand half wages when the number of acres plowed per hour is cut in half because the rain turned everything to soggy mud.

DrPop
12-03-11, 09:00 PM
LOL! ;) That was a good one. Yeah, well I'm sorry if their code sucks - I mean, my GPUs aren't any "less good" at crunching than they were 6 months ago, so I'm not sure why PG is throwing me less efficient code to work? :confused: I don't get all the BOINC politics anyway...you would think a hobby would be for fun and no one would get ruffled but apparently it's not the case.

On a GOOD news note: I just looked at the DrPop rig here and I see CUDA work from DiRT! :D Yippee! :cool:

STE\/E
12-05-11, 04:04 PM
I took a hit as well. seven in total. I hope your right about them getting validated. we''ll see.

I had over 500 Invalids an hour ago but now I have only about 60, my Credits went up by about 4 Million+ in the last hour too ... :bz

DrPop
12-06-11, 05:08 PM
I had over 500 Invalids an hour ago but now I have only about 60, my Credits went up by about 4 Million+ in the last hour too ... :bz

4Mil in one day? Whew! I am glad he is running the script manually, that would have been way too much to just take a hit on. ;)

Mike029
12-06-11, 06:59 PM
This project makes good on the work people do. Got to give them props. for that.

STE\/E
12-07-11, 04:26 AM
Yes, so far I've trusted them to make good & they mostly have, the few Wu's I did lose doesn't matter much because the Project still pays about double Per Hr what the PG Project pays now ...

STE\/E
12-09-11, 10:32 AM
From PaPa Smurf at the Project Forum ...

As many of you have noticed, we are trying to find a way to finance FreeRainbowTables. Unfortunately, PayPal has terminated our relationship. We have also talked with another company regarding the possibility and they have also denied us.

Most of the problem appears to be a bit of a misunderstanding about what we are actually doing. We are not trying to just run around and randomly crack every password in the world!!! We are trying to make it clear that some password methodologies should be retired, replaced immediately and never used again.

Unfortunately, our public password cracking database appears to indicate to people that we are just cracking every password in the world. As a result, it has been removed. When it will return? We don't know. Will it ever return? We will try. Frankly, it depends largely on the perception of the bank or company that ends up assisting us with receiving funds. If they see it as a tool to clearly prove to developers the world over that unsalted, tiny passwords, ran through an algorithm one time are a very very bad idea, then yes, it'll probably return. If they think we are just randomly hacking the entire universe and somehow making checking accounts the world over less secure, then it'll probably not return.

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 10:49 AM
That sucks the big one. I actually like what they're doing.

Fire$torm
12-09-11, 11:06 AM
It is a wonder how business professionals with Master Degrees and Doctorates can be so blatantly stupid. If such people cannot learn to separate fact from fiction in this modern technological world then we are all screwed.

Mike029
12-09-11, 01:45 PM
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end?

DrPop
12-09-11, 02:18 PM
Dude, sometimes you just want to take people and give them a good wake up call.:mad: What is up with the world, and why can they not see the point of this project isn't to hack anyone! It's to help all developers figure out what is best to use!

So...is this the end for good CUDA credits? That would mean all we have left is Moo! for decent return . . .:(

STE\/E
12-09-11, 02:31 PM
You still have the PG Project, yes the Credits have been cut in half but it's still the best Paying CUDA Project out there if DIRT don't come back up again ... Pay's as much on my CUDA Cards if not a little more than MOO does on my ATI Cards ...

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 04:15 PM
That would mean all we have left is Moo! for decent return . . .:(

I'm angry with Moo at the moment, lol. >:):mad:>:)

DrPop
12-09-11, 04:37 PM
You still have the PG Project, yes the Credits have been cut in half but it's still the best Paying CUDA Project out there if DIRT don't come back up again ... Pay's as much on my CUDA Cards if not a little more than MOO does on my ATI Cards ...

Unless I am really off on my calculations (which I could be!), I am going to have to differ on this. I worked it out a while back - X$ on a CUDA card vs X$ on spent on an ATI/AMD card, they were about equal for DiRT credits or Moo! credits (well, DNETC at the time I did the math). If we drop down to PG credits vs Moo! credits, then we're not getting as much CUDA credits for the $. If you take Moo! out as well, then it's about even, because I think PG on a given priced CUDA GPU is roughly = to a similar priced ATI/AMD GPU crunching MW.

STE\/E
12-09-11, 04:52 PM
I did over 600k @ PG Yesterday with my Dual GTX 570 Box's & over 600k @ Moo with the better running 5970 Box ... PG & DIRT Pay way more on the NVIDIA Cards than on the ATI Cards

spingadus
12-09-11, 08:48 PM
I hope this doesn't mean they are done. Besides the fact that I like the project, I'm only 1 day away from hitting my 50 Million MM.

Fire$torm
12-09-11, 11:49 PM
I hope this doesn't mean they are done. Besides the fact that I like the project, I'm only 1 day away from hitting my 50 Million MM.

After rereading Dirt's news thread and the quote posted by Ste\/e I think Dirt will continue with BOINC. What the project admin was referring to was public access to the actual database. That is what they are shutting down. I presume that they hope to find a way around this hurdle at some point in the future.

Philadelphia
12-10-11, 12:20 AM
After rereading Dirt's news thread and the quote posted by Ste\/e I think Dirt will continue with BOINC. What the project admin was referring to was public access to the actual database. That is what they are shutting down. I presume that they hope to find a way around this hurdle at some point in the future.

I hope that is correct, I'd hate to think that it would be forced to shut down as a result of banks that we had to bail out. The banks didn't have a 'misunderstand' when they took our money to bail their asses out. Big government at its' worst.