PDA

View Full Version : Dual 5870's

Philadelphia
12-01-11, 10:02 AM
I have two of them, one is a 1GB and the second is a 2mb. Is there a way for Moo to recognize both of them? I scanned through the board and I see others doing it but I didn't find a thread that indicated how to do it. Currently the 1GB is crunching and the other is sitting on my desk :confused:

Thanks,

Philly/Dan

zombie67
12-01-11, 11:31 AM
Does BOINCmanager see them both? Check the messages, scroll back to the beginning. It will tell you what HW it sees.

Bryan
12-01-11, 11:45 AM
I have two of them, one is a 1GB and the second is a 2mb. Is there a way for Moo to recognize both of them? I scanned through the board and I see others doing it but I didn't find a thread that indicated how to do it. Currently the 1GB is crunching and the other is sitting on my desk :confused:

Thanks,

Philly/Dan

A dumb question: When you brought the 2nd card up did you "extend" the desktop to the 2nd card so it would be found by Windows? You MUST have a VGA dummy plug or a monitor on the 2nd card also.

Slicker
12-01-11, 02:51 PM
Also, when multiple GPUs are present, BOINC may only use the faster one. Since yours are not exactly the same, that may be the case. In the <options> section of your cc_config.xml file you can add:

<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

That might do the trick.

Philadelphia
12-01-11, 04:42 PM
Also, when multiple GPUs are present, BOINC may only use the faster one. Since yours are not exactly the same, that may be the case. In the <options> section of your cc_config.xml file you can add:

<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

That might do the trick.

I went to the directory for moowrap.net and there are two xml files: job-ati14-1.00.xml and job-win32-1.2, no cc_config.xml. Should I create one with that line?

Philadelphia
12-01-11, 04:44 PM
A dumb question: When you brought the 2nd card up did you "extend" the desktop to the 2nd card so it would be found by Windows? You MUST have a VGA dummy plug or a monitor on the 2nd card also.

I'm not sure what 'extend' means, sorry, but Windows does recognize both cards.

I don't have a 2nd monitor so, where might I acquire a dummy plug?

Philadelphia
12-01-11, 04:48 PM
Does BOINCmanager see them both? Check the messages, scroll back to the beginning. It will tell you what HW it sees.

From the event log I have this:

12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Starting BOINC client version 6.12.34 for windows_intelx86
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.21.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Running under account temp
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz [Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6]
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Processor: 4.00 MB cache
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 cx16 lm vmx tm2 pbe
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | OS: Microsoft Windows Vista: Ultimate x86 Edition, Service Pack 2, (06.00.6002.00)
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Memory: 2.62 GB physical, 5.46 GB virtual
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Disk: 298.09 GB total, 113.66 GB free
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | Local time is UTC -7 hours
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | ATI GPU 0: ATI Radeon HD 5800 series (Cypress) (CAL version 1.4.1607, 2048MB, 2720 GFLOPS peak)
12/1/2011 2:46:37 PM | | ATI GPU 1: (not used) ATI Radeon HD 5800 series (Cypress) (CAL version 1.4.1607, 1024MB, 2720 GFLOPS peak)

Philadelphia
12-01-11, 04:53 PM
Also, any idea why the file dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe is using 90%+ of the cpu? I don't seem to remember any file doing that in the past. I'm not crunching any WU's on the processor, just the GPU.

EDIT: I took one of the GPU's out and the file went back to 0% to 2%. Hmmmmmm.

EDIT AGAIN: This work unit (http://moowrap.net/workunit.php?wuid=3977256) took similar run time to all my other ones, but when that file was using the cpu @ 100% the CPU time equaled the run time, which is not consistent with my other WU's, which were much lower.

STE\/E
12-01-11, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure what 'extend' means, sorry, but Windows does recognize both cards.

I don't have a 2nd monitor so, where might I acquire a dummy plug?

http://www.geeks3d.com/20091230/vga-hack-how-to-make-a-vga-dummy-plug/ ... you still will have to Enable the Second Card in the ATI Catalyst Control Center to get them both to work ...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Resistor's can be bought at any Radio Shack Store ...

Mr. Hankey
12-02-11, 05:42 AM
We have some good info in the FAQ under GPU crunching, including how to make a dummy plug.

http://www.setiusa.us/faq.php?faq=gpu#faq_dummyplug

Philadelphia
12-02-11, 07:49 AM
Thanks Ste\/e and Mr Hankey for the information on the plug.

Philadelphia
12-02-11, 07:58 AM
I received this information from Zydor at the Moo message board on the processor running with both 5870's:

"There is a long standing bug in OpenCL applications that affects dual GPUs (either on one card or two single GPU cards). The bug grabs a complete CPU Core for each GPU running. There is nothing the Project can do about it - has to be fixed at the OpenCL/AMD/NVidia side of life.

Its slowly getting resolved, its been around for a few months now - only affects those with more than one GPU running on a box. AMD recently started testing a Linux fix, its not yet known when the Windows fix will be out. Spring next year would be a crude guess - its a nasty one to resolve apparently.

Regards
Zy"

Bryan
12-02-11, 09:59 AM
A couple of basics ... just in case:

1. Unless something has changed you WILL need the dummy plug.

For MOO:
2. Moo uses ALL ATI GPUs so you will only show 1 task running in BOINC.
BOINC should show: running (??cpu + 2 ATI GPUs)
3. The time reported in the task listing on the Moo project may or may not be accurate when running multiple GPUs. Click on the left column of a pending or valid wu (opens the wu std err file) and look at the START time and the STOP time and the difference is the actual time it took to do the wu. Your reported time MIGHT be double what this says. The wu has the correct time.

What I mean by this: I recently put a new 6990 on a friends account and it was reporting 784s to complete a wu. After several days I detached/reattached and moved it onto my account. It started showing 1570s per wu while the std err file still showed it was completing wu in 784s. Same machine, same card, and same credits being produced ... it just showed double the amount of time in the projects tasks listing.

4. When you have it running Moo, check the GPU loading using something like GPU-Z and you should see 95%+ loading on both cards.

Cruncher Pete
12-02-11, 04:16 PM
A couple of basics ... just in case:

1. Unless something has changed you WILL need the dummy plug.

It works in my machines without a dummy plug. I have two HD5870's in Crossfire mode. The cc_config states use_all_GPUs.:)

STE\/E
12-02-11, 04:20 PM
I think a lot depends on the Motherboard, some have to run the Dummy Plugs & others not ...

Fire$torm
12-02-11, 06:37 PM
I think a lot depends on the Motherboard, some have to run the Dummy Plugs & others not ...

Correct. Also Crossfire removes the need for a dummy plug as the cards are then technically one unit.

zombie67
12-02-11, 06:53 PM
Correct. Also Crossfire removes the need for a dummy plug as the cards are then technically one unit.

...even though BOINC still sees and treats them as two separate GPUs.

Mike029
12-02-11, 08:07 PM
Does running them in crossfire mode reduce the efficiency? I remember a way back that you would lose some crunching power by running in CF mode. Maybe they fixed it.

Philadelphia
12-02-11, 09:14 PM
Does running them in crossfire mode reduce the efficiency? I remember a way back that you would lose some crunching power by running in CF mode. Maybe they fixed it.

I can't quote where I read it, but I seem to remember someone (one person) mentioning that cross firing them for boinc was not the way to go. I can cross fire them (one is a 2mb, other is a 1mb, if that matters).

For what it's worth/not worth, my mother board is a P5W DH Deluxe.

Personally, I enjoy all the discussion, lots of food for thought. I'm going to the local Radio Shack tomorrow to set up the dummy plug just in case. I've got 235.00 is the two GPU's (one sitting next to me on the desk :mad: ) so what is another dollar or so.

Mike029
12-02-11, 09:26 PM
I can't quote where I read it, but I seem to remember someone (one person) mentioning that cross firing them for boinc was not the way to go. I can cross fire them (one is a 2mb, other is a 1mb, if that matters).

For what it's worth/not worth, my mother board is a P5W DH Deluxe.

Personally, I enjoy all the discussion, lots of food for thought. I'm going to the local Radio Shack tomorrow to set up the dummy plug just in case. I've got 235.00 is the two GPU's (one sitting next to me on the desk :mad: ) so what is another dollar or so.

Let us know how ya make out Phili. Being from New York, I won't hold it against ya. Giants, Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, etc (forget the other teams) OHHHH!!!! :o)

Philadelphia
12-02-11, 10:18 PM
Let us know how ya make out Phili. Being from New York, I won't hold it against ya. Giants, Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, etc (forget the other teams) OHHHH!!!! :o)

Off topic but, ya had to go there did ya ;) Eagles suck, Phillies great, Flyers great, Sixers who? Elite Manning (not), Rangers pretty good, Islanders -admit to owning them? Yankees had a good season, disappointing post season like the Phillies. What about the other teams in the State of NY, Buffalo Bills - please, Mets or Mess is more appropriate. Oh, forgot the Knicks and Carmellllllllllllo and Amar'e don't play defense Stoudemire. :cool:

Always fun to banter back and forth between the two sports cities - no doubt NY wins hands down on championships.

Fire$torm
12-02-11, 11:00 PM
Off topic but, ya had to go there did ya ;) Eagles suck, Phillies great, Flyers great, Sixers who? Elite Manning (not), Rangers pretty good, Islanders -admit to owning them? Yankees had a good season, disappointing post season like the Phillies. What about the other teams in the State of NY, Buffalo Bills - please, Mets or Mess is more appropriate. Oh, forgot the Knicks and Carmellllllllllllo and Amar'e don't play defense Stoudemire. :cool:

Always fun to banter back and forth between the two sports cities - no doubt NY wins hands down on championships.

"Da Bears!!!!!!!"

Philadelphia
12-03-11, 07:04 AM
Ok, back on topic, lol.

I'm going to Radio Shack this morning to get the resistors to make the plug and then reinstall the other 5870.

I read 'somewhere' that it was ok to have the 5870 installed without the power plugs instead of taking it out which confused me. One time (of my many times trying to get the 2 to work) during my install/uninstall of the card I forgot to install the two power connectors and the card made a nasty winnnnning sound.

Also, any other thoughts on the cross firing of them?

Mike029
12-03-11, 05:10 PM
Ok, back on topic, lol.

I'm going to Radio Shack this morning to get the resistors to make the plug and then reinstall the other 5870.

I read 'somewhere' that it was ok to have the 5870 installed without the power plugs instead of taking it out which confused me. One time (of my many times trying to get the 2 to work) during my install/uninstall of the card I forgot to install the two power connectors and the card made a nasty winnnnning sound.

Also, any other thoughts on the cross firing of them?

You don't have to run them in crossfire for crunching. You get more credits not doing it.

Al
12-03-11, 10:56 PM
This is sort of on topic. In an attempt to free up a pcie slot for a very slow gt430 I moved a 4850 to my cruncher1 box. It now has a 6950 in the pcie x16 slot and the 4850 is in the pcie x1 slot. These are both crunching mw (sorry, can't go for credits all the time.) What I found interesting is that the wu times are about the same...cool. Anyway, to get them to work I did have to open Catalyst and extend the desktop, but I did not have to use a dummy plug...this is with an XP OS. BTW, I put the gt430 on DiRT cuda for a few more credits...Al

Mike029
12-04-11, 11:36 AM
This is sort of on topic. In an attempt to free up a pcie slot for a very slow gt430 I moved a 4850 to my cruncher1 box. It now has a 6950 in the pcie x16 slot and the 4850 is in the pcie x1 slot. These are both crunching mw (sorry, can't go for credits all the time.) What I found interesting is that the wu times are about the same...cool. Anyway, to get them to work I did have to open Catalyst and extend the desktop, but I did not have to use a dummy plug...this is with an XP OS. BTW, I put the gt430 on DiRT cuda for a few more credits...Al

Hey don't worry about it. :D

As far as the 4850 crunching wu's at the same rate at the 6950, that is a problem. :-/ The 6950 should blow the 4850 out of the water. :confused:

I also don't think you would get better credits crunching those two cards on Moo than MW. I thought that you needed to use a dummy plug in XP. Good to know you got it working without it. Big thanks for the help on DiRT. :-bd=D>

Al
12-04-11, 12:34 PM
Clarification, the 6950 does wu in 63 seconds. The 4850 did a wu in 172 seconds in a x16 slot and it does a wu in 169 seconds in the x1 slot, that's what I thought was interesting...the x1 slot didn't seem to be a bottleneck. Al

Mike029
12-04-11, 12:47 PM
Clarification, the 6950 does wu in 63 seconds. The 4850 did a wu in 172 seconds in a x16 slot and it does a wu in 169 seconds in the x1 slot, that's what I thought was interesting...the x1 slot didn't seem to be a bottleneck. Al

Ahh, got ya. No prob. then. 3:-O

zombie67
12-04-11, 08:36 PM

This is correct. GPU crunching uses almost no PCI bandwidth. Any slot will do.

DrPop
12-06-11, 05:19 PM
Al - from what the guys say, it's not good credit wise to crunch Moo! on two radically different ATI GPUs, because it will idle one while the other one finishes a portion of the WU. You are doing the best thing, I think in crunching MW anyway, because it does 2 separate WUs, one for each card. I have to admit I like the science of MW better, but it seems to go down a lot for some reason. And, of course if it had DNET like credits, everything would be right in the universe, but we can't have everything, can we? :D ;)

Al
12-06-11, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I ran Moo on them separately for a while during the push, but I prefer the science, so I combined them in one mw box. BTW, mw is down right now I believe...ugh.

spingadus
12-06-11, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I ran Moo on them separately for a while during the push, but I prefer the science, so I combined them in one mw box. BTW, mw is down right now I believe...ugh.

MW is down? It's unheard of!! :P

Philadelphia
12-06-11, 09:36 PM
I got off my ass today and stopped by Radio Shack and bought the resistors, now hopefully, to put the other gpu in tomorrow, extend the desktop (hopefully get that right) and away we go.

I'm 'assuming' that using the vga to 'whatever' adapter works.

Fire$torm
12-06-11, 11:48 PM
I got off my ass today and stopped by Radio Shack and bought the resistors, now hopefully, to put the other gpu in tomorrow, extend the desktop (hopefully get that right) and away we go.

I'm 'assuming' that using the vga to 'whatever' adapter works.

Your monitor should be connected to the card in slot 1, the one closest to the CPU and the dummy plug(s) connects to the other(s).

Philadelphia
12-07-11, 12:47 PM
Your monitor should be connected to the card in slot 1, the one closest to the CPU and the dummy plug(s) connects to the other(s).

I should have read this first, my monitor was connect to the other one :confused: but I figured it out b-(

Both are running now, wooo hooo :rolleyes:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/BoincBothGPUsRunning-1.jpg

Fire$torm
12-07-11, 01:47 PM
Sweet! I'm glad you got it all sorted out. Now crunch your heart out... :D

Mike029
12-07-11, 02:10 PM
Looking good.

Philadelphia
12-07-11, 03:50 PM
Two postings from the 5970 Clusterfrak (didn't want to hijack the thread)

From Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
Am I pushing the 5870 too much here?

No that isn't pushing at all. Definitely good to 950 day in and day out.

I would strongly suggest dropping your memory clock down to 425 MHz and it will probably drop your temperature 5C or better. Collatz is the only project that high memory speed helps and since it uses single precision math the temperature doesn't rise with the increased memory clocks.

I've downloaded the MSA AB (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) and take a gander at it, looks like it has a lot of options from looking at the web page.

I'll change the clock to your suggested setting.

Thanks for the suggestion Bryan.

Dan/Philly

[edit] here is a pic of the config file, should I put a '0' in the EULA?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MSIAfterburnerScreen.jpg

[edit/edit] Lowest memory clock setting is 600. 'Assume' that is ok?

Fire$torm
12-07-11, 04:44 PM
Two postings from the 5970 Clusterfrak (didn't want to hijack the thread)

From Bryan

I've downloaded the MSA AB (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) and take a gander at it, looks like it has a lot of options from looking at the web page.

I'll change the clock to your suggested setting.

Thanks for the suggestion Bryan.

Dan/Philly

[edit] here is a pic of the config file, should I put a '0' in the EULA?

[edit/edit] Lowest memory clock setting is 600. 'Assume' that is ok?

For ATI/AMD cards you will need to do this ---> How to Enable Unofficial Overclocking (Link (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906))

Philadelphia
12-07-11, 05:07 PM
Thanks F$, I'll check it out :o

Bryan
12-08-11, 08:44 AM
Also in the .cfg file ... somewhere around the middle there are 2 lines for "Voltage" that you can set to "1" and then you can change the voltage settings on the card. On a 5870 that really isn't necessary ... it will be somewhere around 1.16V standard. What you can do though is once you have the card stable and you find you can run it at 950 MHz you can start dropping that voltage in small increments to see where it looses stability. When you drop the Vcore voltage the temperature drops.

On my 5870s, the ones with the single fan located at the "end" of the card will let you change voltage. My cheaper cards that have the bigger fan located in the middle will NOT allow any voltage change. I never change the voltage on my 5870s but that is a VERY nice feature if you have a 5970 or GTX 5XX.

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 09:33 AM
Thank Bryan, the information is appreciated.

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 12:26 PM
Now I have both running, Moo is using the cpu like crazy (http://moowrap.net/results.php?userid=3593&offset=0&show_names=0&state=3&appid=), any idea what may have caused that, I didn't change any project preferences.

Not to mention the run times are up quite a bit too :(

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 12:47 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooSettings.jpg

[edit] My WU's were in the 1700 range for run time and around 12 seconds for cpu time

Now I'm doing these numbers????

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs.jpg

spingadus
12-08-11, 12:57 PM
I have to reserve 1 thread on my i7 2600k for my GPU using Moo! to get max credits. So, it does use up a lot of cpu on my box.

DrPop
12-08-11, 01:26 PM
I have to reserve 1 thread on my i7 2600k for my GPU using Moo! to get max credits. So, it does use up a lot of cpu on my box.

+1 I would be surprised if you didn't have to cut one CPU core from BOINC in your crunching preferences now that you have two 5870s in there. Those things can sling the credits, one of the best bang for buck GPUs out there - crunching wise, they easily keep up with the 6000 series, especially if you O/C them to 950MHz in Afterburner. ;)

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 01:32 PM
+1 I would be surprised if you didn't have to cut one CPU core from BOINC in your crunching preferences now that you have two 5870s in there. Those things can sling the credits, one of the best bang for buck GPUs out there - crunching wise, they easily keep up with the 6000 series, especially if you O/C them to 950MHz in Afterburner. ;)

Here are my BOINC settings.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/BoincSettings.jpg

DrPop
12-08-11, 02:02 PM
OK, try changing the "suspend when non BOINC tasks active" from 75% - where it is now - to 0.
Then change the "on multi processor systems use __% of CPU" from -- where it is now - to 75%. On a quad core, that is like cutting 1 core from what BOINC will use for CPU projects. You can play with this number later to fine tune, but try this for now and see how your Moo! times change, ie they should drop like a rock again.

Duke of Buckingham
12-08-11, 02:04 PM
The page is the same only the credits are different.:confused:

I will use the afterburner :D

http://tclehner.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/f-15_eagle_short_takeoff_in_afterburner.jpg

STE\/E
12-08-11, 02:19 PM
Now I'm doing these numbers????

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs.jpg

Unless I'm missing something it seems awfully slow to me for a Dual 5870 setup, my 5970's running @ 825 & 850 Clock Cores run the Wu's under 900 Seconds, my single 5870 Box @ only 900 Core runs them in the 1600-1700 range. Are you sure your even using both GPU's to run the MOO Wu's ??? Should say using 2 GPU's in the BOINC Manager, I think you are cause I checked your Wu's out at the Project. If so then you have major problems else where running the Wu's that slow with 2 5870's, don't know where though ... To me it looks like only 1 of the GPU's is actually running the Wu's even though it may say 2 at the Project

coronicus
12-08-11, 03:17 PM
Had some of the same issue with running two 6950 I get full throttle only if i give it 2 physical cores and loose performance with one core and a hyperthread. If you want the card at full throttle give it 1 core per gpu if its a dual gpu you will need 2 cores for it, just my experience of it lately... still trying to figure out lasso and when i do ill post my findings... Oh also if you swaped cards around and installed new drivers i found that reseting the project helped out at times..

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 05:00 PM
OK, try changing the "suspend when non BOINC tasks active" from 75% - where it is now - to 0.
Then change the "on multi processor systems use __% of CPU" from -- where it is now - to 75%. On a quad core, that is like cutting 1 core from what BOINC will use for CPU projects. You can play with this number later to fine tune, but try this for now and see how your Moo! times change, ie they should drop like a rock again.

Thanks for the suggestion, I made the changes and I'll run a couple and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 05:13 PM
Unless I'm missing something it seems awfully slow to me for a Dual 5870 setup, my 5970's running @ 825 & 850 Clock Cores run the Wu's under 900 Seconds, my single 5870 Box @ only 900 Core runs them in the 1600-1700 range. Are you sure your even using both GPU's to run the MOO Wu's ??? Should say using 2 GPU's in the BOINC Manager, I think you are cause I checked your Wu's out at the Project. If so then you have major problems else where running the Wu's that slow with 2 5870's, don't know where though ... To me it looks like only 1 of the GPU's is actually running the Wu's even though it may say 2 at the Project

Unbelievably slow, the small number you see in my results was when I was running just one gpu, now with two everything seems to have gone bonkers.

Those dnetc518 files in task mgr are crunch a lot of cpu, I don't remember that being the case with one gpu, although I guess it could have been.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_3.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_1.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_2.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 09:49 PM
I just pulled the second 5870 and the dnetc518 is running at 0 cpu, like I 'thought' it was running before.

Thoughts?

Dan/Philly

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_4.jpg

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 10:43 PM
I pulled the second 5870 and the WU is back to 'normal', so is the processor usage on the Dnetc518 usage, 0 cpu.

Must have all 'ya confused; I don't have a freaking clue :(

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_5.jpg

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 11:39 PM
Put the second one back in and .....&$^%

That dnetc518 file is going nuts again on the cpu

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_6.jpg

I'm $&^%* going to just run the one gpu until......?????

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 12:09 AM
Guess I'll quite doing Moo :( considering I 'could' have done abou 700,000 a day, sucks.

Started running Collatz to see if it was the gpu's or......, well, the WU's are running what they were for Collatz, so it seems the issue is Moo related. Obviously that's just my assumption.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooWUs_8.jpg

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 12:45 AM
Guess I'll clear out my Moo backlog and move on to something else.

spingadus
12-09-11, 01:12 AM
You may have already tried this, but just to be thorough, have you:

1) Changed the moo! core from -1(auto default) to something else by running the benchmark? Wouldn't hurt to try.
2) Tried a different ATI driver.

...ignore if you already did these.

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 09:35 AM
You may have already tried this, but just to be thorough, have you:

1) Changed the moo! core from -1(auto default) to something else by running the benchmark? Wouldn't hurt to try.
2) Tried a different ATI driver.

...ignore if you already did these.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a post over at Moo to see if anyone can figure it out.

I have the card back in again just to help clear out the backlog faster, just not much faster.

coronicus
12-09-11, 02:01 PM
Would love to have an answer to this for sure... I know somewere i read something about the AMD opencl driver or app locking a thread and for the life of me cannot find were i read that but ill keep looking. I would play with dif version of the drivers but dont wanna take down the box atm.

On a dif note I did finally figure out lasso and could get the two cards working on one core with hyperthreading and at first it was keeping the GPU @98%+ workload.. Turned on the logs and went to bed after a night of login I had work unit that stayed at 98% all the way through then other WU all over the place even tho no other proccess touched those cores. :confused: makes me go hummmmm....

Philadelphia
12-09-11, 02:38 PM
Would love to have an answer to this for sure... I know somewere i read something about the AMD opencl driver or app locking a thread and for the life of me cannot find were i read that but ill keep looking. I would play with dif version of the drivers but dont wanna take down the box atm.

On a dif note I did finally figure out lasso and could get the two cards working on one core with hyperthreading and at first it was keeping the GPU @98%+ workload.. Turned on the logs and went to bed after a night of login I had work unit that stayed at 98% all the way through then other WU all over the place even tho no other proccess touched those cores. :confused: makes me go hummmmm....

Yeah, I'd love an answer too, I'll have to go over to Moo and see if there are any more responses, 1 so far, it was more of an observation.

Glad you figured yours out :)

Philadelphia
12-10-11, 10:16 AM
I posted the following this morning at the Moo message board:

I 'think' I figured out what the problem with Moo was/is. Kidding on the 'I', even a blind squirrel can find an acorn.

I had booted/rebooted/booted/rebooted started boinc/stopped boinc/restarted/stopped it, etc, changed as many settings as carter has pills.

I had about 3 days worth of WU's to crunch and set the project to no new downloads.

I'm sure you could tell from some of my posts I was frustrated as hell.

In spite of my better judgement, I decided to 'allow new tasks', received 1 download, suddenly, instead of running two tasks it was running one task (running 0.05 cpu's + 2.00 ATI GPU's (device 0)) Before it was running 2 tasks with +1.00 gpu (device 0) and another (device 1)

It's still crunching the cpu but the run time is way down, I 'think', to something reasonable. If I can get more WU's I'll get a better idea.

My question (not to anyone in particular) is why did 'allowing new tasks' suddenly tell the computer to run one work unit instead of two and use both gpu's to do it, when stopping/starting BOINC didn't, even when it involved setting changes????

[edit] I ran about 20 WU's since and everything is fine, what a strange situation. Maybe the project guru has input?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/moopicture.gif

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/moocartoon_1.png

Duke of Buckingham
12-10-11, 10:44 AM
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.5640890.6835/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Moo Duke http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_I2uQkGxIykM/S8Fu7xeeRyI/AAAAAAAAKFE/AWYPkTy8naI/s400/moo+vd.jpg

coronicus
12-10-11, 01:06 PM
Im glad your having a moo-better time..

Philadelphia
12-10-11, 02:24 PM
Thanks, it was crazy for several day.

Mike029
12-10-11, 11:03 PM
No let's watch those puppies, err cows throw some stones. Make sure you wear the appropriate safety equipment. :D

STE\/E
12-11-11, 05:33 AM
It's still crunching the cpu but the run time is way down, I 'think', to something reasonable. If I can get more WU's I'll get a better idea.

Looked at your Box again at the Project, still way to slow, your times are 1500+ Seconds when they should be 800-900 Seconds for a Dual 5870 Setup. Some guys are even getting sub 800 Second times ... My single 5870 Box runs the Wu's in the 1600-1700 second Range, not much slower than your Dual 5870 Setup so there's still something wrong I think ...

What CPU Project/Projects are you running, sometimes the choice of CPU Project can adversely affect the GPU Project your running ...

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 08:19 AM
Looked at your Box again at the Project, still way to slow, your times are 1500+ Seconds when they should be 800-900 Seconds for a Dual 5870 Setup. Some guys are even getting sub 800 Second times ... My single 5870 Box runs the Wu's in the 1600-1700 second Range, not much slower than your Dual 5870 Setup so there's still something wrong I think ...

What CPU Project/Projects are you running, sometimes the choice of CPU Project can adversely affect the GPU Project your running ...

Yeah, Conan mentioned that also (http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=162&nowrap=true#1676) at the Moo message boards, I looked at his and the numbers you mention are what he's getting.

I'm not running any projects that use a cpu, only gpu projects.

So, I'm at a loss again to what is happening.

Do both gpu's need to have the same clock/over clock settings?

Dan/Philly

STE\/E
12-11-11, 08:44 AM
Do both gpu's need to have the same clock/over clock settings?

Dan/Philly

Yes, if both cards are 5870's then they both should be clocked the same, use the settings Tab on Afterburner & set to Sync the 2 GPU's.

Also set the line "UnofficialClockMode = 0' to "UnofficialClockMode = 1" and restart Afterburner once doing that. Just go to either Windows/Program Files or Windows/Program Files (x86) then open the MSI Afterburner folder, then open the config file with notebook and make the 0 to 1 change, save & exit. You'll have to Restart Afterburner again once doing that too ... Should be good to go then and you can make your Overclocking changes ...

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 11:57 AM
Yes, if both cards are 5870's then they both should be clocked the same, use the settings Tab on Afterburner & set to Sync the 2 GPU's.

Also set the line "UnofficialClockMode = 0' to "UnofficialClockMode = 1" and restart Afterburner once doing that. Just go to either Windows/Program Files or Windows/Program Files (x86) then open the MSI Afterburner folder, then open the config file with notebook and make the 0 to 1 change, save & exit. You'll have to Restart Afterburner again once doing that too ... Should be good to go then and you can make your Overclocking changes ...

Thanks Ste\/e and everyone else for your help and patience. I will make the changes you suggested.

I'm going to throw another twist into this twisted situation.

I have been watching boinc and it hit me that boinc was finishing a wu in ~15 minutes but not being reported that way at Moo, sooooo, I sat at the computer for a couple of hours and read the newspaper and watched the wu's crunching, I also looked at a wall clock to verify what boinc was showing, rounding to minutes. The wall clock confirmed what boinc was reporting. I dropped off the seconds on the UTC to figure the minutes run. (edit, that brings up another issue, boinc wont upload the wu's after they run, I have to do it manually)

Having nothing to do this morning :)], right, I copied about 10 wu's reported by Moo, and low and behold 'something stinks in Denmark' (sorry to anyone in Denmark, just a saying ;;) )

Look at the difference between WU's, between the actual UTC times, they agree with the times boinc was showing when I watched them crunching and the wall clock, but the run/cpu times don't.

Could it be a Moo problem? Can I detach from the project and download the Moo program again without screwing things up, or is it even necessary?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooRuntimes.jpg

Direct Link To Picture. Slightly Larger View (http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/MooRuntimes.jpg)

STE\/E
12-11-11, 02:13 PM
Can I detach from the project and download the Moo program again without screwing things up, or is it even necessary?

No, if you Detach from the Project the Wu's will be lost, Abort them first if your going to do that, that way they will get sent back out sooner, may even get them back yourself when you re-attach ...

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 02:27 PM
No, if you Detach from the Project the Wu's will be lost, Abort them first if your going to do that, that way they will get sent back out sooner, may even get them back yourself when you re-attach ...

I'll just run them out, I have it set to no new downloads.

Any thoughts on my 'analysis' on the run time vs utc times?

STE\/E
12-11-11, 02:37 PM
I'll just run them out, I have it set to no new downloads.

Any thoughts on my 'analysis' on the run time vs utc times?

No not really, could be the BOINC Client reporting wrong ? what BOINC Client are you using, I'm using v6.12.34 ...

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 02:43 PM
No not really, could be the BOINC Client reporting wrong ? what BOINC Client are you using, I'm using v6.12.34 ...

Funny you should mention that, I was giving that a thought too, 6.10.60.

I just checked my reported WU's, in the last ~3hrs 20mins I processed 12 WU's, which is ~16-17min per WU.

I only have one computer so when I'm using it I sure that slows the crunching a tad bit too.

spingadus
12-11-11, 03:01 PM
Is the boinc client actually counting seconds faster than the pc? What if you check the wu properties and compare. The only time I saw something similar to this when running boinc was when I was testing boinc in a linux vm while still running boinc on the main os(win7). So, basically I had 2 instances of boinc.

STE\/E
12-11-11, 03:02 PM
Funny you should mention that, I was giving that a thought too, 6.10.60.

I just checked my reported WU's, in the last ~3hrs 20mins I processed 12 WU's, which is ~16-17min per WU.

I only have one computer so when I'm using it I sure that slows the crunching a tad bit too.

Check your computing Preferences at the Project & make sure or set them to what I have:

Suspend work while computer is in use? no
Suspend GPU work while computer is in use? Enforced by version 6.6.21+ no

Also check the Task Manager to make sure you don't have 2 instances of BOINC running ...

Fire$torm
12-11-11, 03:30 PM
I posted this earlier in this thread but left out a detail or two.

The unofficial overclocking only applies to ATI/AMD cards due to liability issues. Starting with version 2.1 of Afterburner, they changed the method for enabling this feature. To quote...

We're receiving emails on how to enable additional overclockability for AMD cards (if supported) in MSI afterBurner.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:

* Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
* Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.

Here is what my MSIAfterburner.cfg (v2.2.0 Beta 9) looks like.

[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

[NVAPIHAL]
ClockDomainIdWorkaround = -1
GenericMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

STE\/E
12-11-11, 03:34 PM
* Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
path

I've never done that & use Afterburner on both my ATI & NVIDIA cards ...

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 03:39 PM
@spingadus - I looked at the wu detail and it was all greek to me, I couldn't make heads for tails out of what's in there. When the wu is running, the boinc clock showing the progression of the wu is correct according to my wall clock.

Check your computing Preferences at the Project & make sure or set them to what I have:

Suspend work while computer is in use? no
Suspend GPU work while computer is in use? Enforced by version 6.6.21+ no

Have the same settings:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/boincsettings_2.jpg

Also check the Task Manager to make sure you don't have 2 instances of BOINC running ...

Only one version running:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/danmartinaz/taskmgr.jpg

Fire$torm
12-11-11, 04:01 PM
I've never done that & use Afterburner on both my ATI & NVIDIA cards ...

Ha, then you are blessed......

When I first upgraded to v2.1, to resolve an issue I had with it, I couldn't get it to work right on any of my quads. I stumbled upon that post I quoted while searching the net for an answer. For me it won't allow OC past CCC limits without it. I am currently overclocking my 5830s core@950 Mhz.

Bryan
12-11-11, 06:03 PM
@Philadelphia ... as I've mentioned several times now, Moo doesn't always report the correct crunching time on multicard systems. If you OPEN the wu std_err it will show the start time and the stop time. The difference between the 2 is the wall time which is probably about 1/2 of what is being reported. As you discovered watching the time to crunch a wu it isn't the same as what is being shown on the project CPU/GPU time.

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 06:11 PM
@Philadelphia ... as I've mentioned several times now, Moo doesn't always report the correct crunching time on multicard systems. If you OPEN the wu std_err it will show the start time and the stop time. The difference between the 2 is the wall time which is probably about 1/2 of what is being reported. As you discovered watching the time to crunch a wu it isn't the same as what is being shown on the project CPU/GPU time.

Thanks Bryan, I must have missed or forgot about your post, if that is the case, then I don't have to be concerned.

Philadelphia
12-11-11, 09:30 PM
This may be helpful for others, if it is great, if not, oh well, lol. <:-P

Forcing WU's to report (http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=162&nowrap=true#1687)

spingadus
12-12-11, 01:18 AM
This may be helpful for others, if it is great, if not, oh well, lol. <:-P

Forcing WU's to report (http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=162&nowrap=true#1687)

Heh, it's in the FAQ (http://www.setiusa.us/faq.php?faq=manage#faq_manage4). But thanks, it's good info nonetheless. Better to post something helpful than not.

Philadelphia
12-12-11, 06:56 PM
Other than Moo, I put all wu's on hold yesterday for boincstats 24 hr period and I came up just short of 600,000 for the two gpus; the actual result was 593,959.00.

I would have liked to be closer to 700,000 but looking at others with the same boards, it seems like 600,000 is reasonable.

Thoughts?

Mike029
12-12-11, 07:52 PM
Other than Moo, I put all wu's on hold yesterday for boincstats 24 hr period and I came up just short of 600,000 for the two gpus; the actual result was 593,959.00.

I would have liked to be closer to 700,000 but looking at others with the same boards, it seems like 600,000 is reasonable.

Thoughts?

Congrats. is my thought. That is some nice stones. ;)