PDA

View Full Version : GPU help

bro-david
12-03-11, 10:01 AM
I re-installed my Win7 as fresh new install. B4 install Boinc in my tray showed both Computing enabled and GPU enabled. Now it does not show GPU enabled. I run latest Boinc 6.12.34. My Nividia card is same as b4. I downloaded most recent Nividia drivers. I run 2 projects that have GPU capability. ( Milky Way and S@H, though I plan to suspend S@H ) Can anyone suggest why I do not see GPU enabled, though I have Boinc Preference set to run GPU all the time? Perhaps this version of Boinc does not show GPU Enabled as b4.? I am assuming I am using same Boinc program as b4, but not sure.

Thank you for any help.

Cruncher Pete
12-03-11, 03:19 PM
Sometimes that happens to me as well. To overcome the problem, I just reinstall the GPU Driver. By the way, try running PrimeGreid with that GPU for two reasons. 1. PrimeGrid is the choice project for our Run for Number One test between 1 - 7 Dec. 2. Primegrid gives better credits than the other two.

Crazybob
12-03-11, 03:31 PM
Since the project thinks you have a new computer, go to the site and under your account, check project preferences to make sure the default location allows you to use the GPU.

Does PG pay better than DIRT?

STE\/E
12-03-11, 03:46 PM

No, DIRT Pays twice as much as PG ...

Beerdrinker
12-03-11, 03:47 PM
Since the project thinks you have a new computer, go to the site and under your account, check project preferences to make sure the default location allows you to use the GPU.

Dirt apparently have some issues with handing out work ATM...Therefore CP suggested PG....And PG pays much better than MW and SETI as BroDavid mentioned as his projects of choice.

bro-david
12-05-11, 10:05 PM
FINALLY!!!!!! an all day job of downloading and install ALL drivers on my computer, and uninstalling and re-installing latest BOINC MGR. I now see both computing and GPU computing active, Whew! So I now am running Milky Way and PrimeGrid at suggestion of both DrPop and this thread. So I am "with it" again. Sad, Sad; as I have consigned SET@HOME to the now fading nostalgia heap. I started with S@H so many years ago, before there was a SETI.USA team and am sorry to see it go, but my frustrations with the downs and sluggish work and re-chomping same units just finally got to me. Usually I am rather "laid back, easy going, nice guy, but like today's politics, enough is enough. Thank you, Team members who helped me with advice on the GPU dilemma. It is fine now.

coronicus
12-06-11, 10:02 AM
Grats... glad to see you got it up and running... Im in the same boat as you started doing seti long ago and got my school involved, boy does that bring up memories... :)

Mike029
12-06-11, 10:22 AM
Glad your back up and running. Don't be a stranger, stop by and say hi from time to time. ;) We need old school crunchers to keep us grounded. :))

Fire$torm
12-06-11, 04:10 PM
Yipeeeeee! :D

DrPop
12-06-11, 04:49 PM
Hi! So glad you found the forums helpful again and that your problem was solved! :D Please don't be a stranger too long and stop by and see us for a good chat every now and then. ;)

Beerdrinker
12-07-11, 12:13 PM
Great.

Glad you got it working..!