PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the case Titans: Thor V2 vs HAF-932

DrPop
12-06-11, 03:30 PM
Not really a battle, but it sounded good. ;) I took some photos for you all to see the Thor V2 when I was building up the rig, and how it compared to the HAF-932 that I was taking the parts out of. I finally got Picasa syncing right on my Atrix 4G, so here are the shots in a web album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108187337108117667429/ThorV2HAF932?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKzyjdbp4uS8Ag&feat=directlink

I won't be knocking the HAF-932, but the Thor V2 is laid out a little more to my liking in the lower area, with ample room between the bottom of the mobo and the PSU. There are also 10 expansion slots vs the standard 7 in the HAF-932, which was the main reason for this purchase. I am not sure that it's really an "upgrade" per se, as the quality of the HAF-932 is great, and the HAF-X is even better. However, considering my future purposes of maxing out GPU crunching in a single rig, I think the Thor V2 is a little better suited for this. Oh, and you've just got to love the control panel of the case when it's dark in the room. :P

EDIT: Forgot to mention - to get a scale for the size of this thing - that red and black GPU in the top PCI-e slot is a dual GPU HD 5970, which is one of the largest GPUs I've seen - and it doesn't even look big in there. The lower 2 GPUs are GTX 460s. The PSU is a large BFG 1KW unit.

What do you all think from the shots?

Fire$torm
12-06-11, 04:05 PM
I like the beach shot the best... :D

The Thor is an awesome case. No issue with space or airflow. BTW, were is the Corsair H100?

John P. Myers
12-06-11, 07:17 PM
looks like the Thor has better wire management than even the HAF X. Looks very nice :)

coronicus
12-06-11, 07:44 PM
Oh my that thing is a beast... I almost ordered the thor after you mentioned it but had already ordered the thermaltake and didnt want to deal with the hasle... Which BTW im still waiting on :mad: ugh never again will i order directly from thermaltake.... Super slow emails...

Mike029
12-06-11, 09:16 PM
You just had to put a beach pic. in there didn't you. You So Cal people are something else. L-) =))=))=))

That is one awesome case. I have to 2nd F$ on where is the H100? You know what that means, MORE PICS. when you put it on. :-bd

DrPop
12-06-11, 09:19 PM
I like the beach shot the best... :D

The Thor is an awesome case. No issue with space or airflow. BTW, were is the Corsair H100?

Thanks, the beach down here is nice, isn't it? I figured some of the guys might like that, especially those landlocked in the Midwest with lots of snow and wind this time of year. :D ;)

The H100 -well, unfortunately, I just couldn't hack the screaming of its fans. I think it wasn't working right, because there is supposed to be three modes, but hitting the button never lowered or even changed the fans' RPM like it should have. I took it back to Fry's, but of course it was during that massive sale, so no replacement available that night. Had to have rig working for the office, so I bought a Hyper 212 Plus, and then later fitted it with a very quiet yet high air flow (103 CFM!) 120mm fan from Newegg. Pocketed the $50 difference, and I am a happy camper for now. I will try the water cooling again someday, but probably when I have more time and can do it "right"... EDIT: that is not a slam to the H100, it is the first self contained water cooler I would consider big enough, with that radiator. It was more a comment on my life right now, I don't really have the time to tinker with my rig because I'm using it for office stuff too, and I think water cooling is something you just will have to tinker with a bit to get tweaked just right.