PDA

View Full Version : Hello SETI.USA

Bikermatt
12-08-11, 12:44 PM
Thank you to all who sent invites, I decided to join.

I have owned nine motorcycles in my life however I haven’t had one in ten years now. I spend most of my free time mountain biking and hiking these days so that’s where the Bikermatt user name came from.

I just stated crunching about two years ago when I got crunched and drug pretty bad while out riding my bike. Luckily the hit and run driver was caught and had insurance so I set some of that money aside for heating the house. Right now my set up is drawing about 1700 watts at the plug and will keep my small house nice and toasty down to about 30⁰ F outside. I was thinking another 480 cuda cores might help me when it gets below 30⁰ and I am also having an Interlagos dilemma but I will save those discussions for the hardware buy/sell forum.

Matt

DrPop
12-08-11, 01:15 PM
Sweet! Glad to see you on the forums here with us. Definitely glad you lived through the bike accident - those can be pretty bad, I have a good friend who was literally fractions of an inch from losing his foot after one of those. Scary.

Well, such a nice thing that you have some in the house heating fund as you put it :) and we are always here to try and help everyone get the best crunching (er...heat I mean) bang for the buck.
See you around!

I went ahead and made you a Team Member since I know that you're crunching with us. Now you will be able to see all the forums and post everywhere. Thanks so much for all the help!

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 01:39 PM
Great to see you join the team.

I was without a motorcycle for about 20 years, and about 6 years ago I went out and got an 05 Sportster 1200 xlc. Love it.

Maybe in time you'll get another one.

Again, welcome.

spingadus
12-08-11, 01:45 PM
Welcome aboard! 1700 watts is not too shabby and nice and toasty in the winter.

Fire$torm
12-08-11, 01:54 PM
Hiya Bikermatt,

Welcome to the team. Please, if you have any questions, ask away.

I too love bikes but have only owned the human powered kind :P Used to be a bike & ski mechanic way beck when. And yeah, bad drivers are the bane of every cyclist. I have the stitches to prove it.....

Anyhoot, have a look around and make yourself at home. Crunch On!

Cruncher Pete
12-08-11, 02:05 PM
Hi Matt. Welcome from me as well. Sorry to say, I do not like bikes or more precisely Bikers due to an earlier incidence. In here we have too many cars on the road and biking is no fun. We call them Temporary Aussies.

DrPop
12-08-11, 02:10 PM
Hi Matt. Welcome from me as well. Sorry to say, I do not like bikes or more precisely Bikers due to an earlier incidence. In here we have too many cars on the road and biking is no fun. We call them Temporary Aussies.

Hey C.P., are your roads in OZ narrow like in NZ? That could be a big problem for bikers and drivers alike if so! I think I would stay on trails if I was biking over there; here in the U.S.A. the roads are much wider and usually have a nice shoulder to ride on.

Crazybob
12-08-11, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the team Bikermatt! Let us know if you need anything.

coronicus
12-08-11, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the team, I have to agree its a fantastic way to heat a house up even got a rack in the kitchen to keep it warm for the wife in hopes she would cook more... but so far that idea hasnt work only lead me to do the cooking since she can't stand the site of it... =))

I do enjoy Bikes but since my back injury I can no longer do so but have many fond memories.

Bikermatt
12-08-11, 03:02 PM
@ Philadelphia - I have almost pulled the trigger on a KLR 650 several times here recently. I live in Northern Idaho right now and there are a ton of fire roads that it would be great for. I graduate in a few months though so I will wait to see if I will be moving when I'm done with school. I always used to commute by motorcycle so if I some how end up with a commute I will probably get something more street oriented.

Cruncher Pete -The town I live in is only about two miles square, I went a year without driving on a bet with a friend and had no problems. I do obey all traffic laws when I ride though, unfortunately there are more than a few bikers out there making all of us look bad. Anyway, the roads around here are great for biking except for when a fifteen year old decides to show off for his buddies an take out a bicyclist.
I do stick to mountain biking a lot more now since my accident. The local mountain has 55 miles of volunteer built single track that you can ride all day and only see one or two other bikers.

Mike029
12-08-11, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the team!!! Glad you decided to stop by the forums. Those cuda cores are throwing major stones for you on GPUgrid. Imagine what they could do on DiRT.:-"

DrPop
12-08-11, 05:01 PM
Wow! 55miles of single track?!! I think I would Mt. Bike as much as surf if I had that near me!:cool:

Philadelphia
12-08-11, 06:38 PM
@ Philadelphia - I have almost pulled the trigger on a KLR 650 several times here recently. I live in Northern Idaho right now and there are a ton of fire roads that it would be great for. I graduate in a few months though so I will wait to see if I will be moving when I'm done with school. I always used to commute by motorcycle so if I some how end up with a commute I will probably get something more street oriented.

Up there in Idaho (beautiful country), you need a a pair of these (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-g3-heated-gloves). They are sweet, I have a pair. And yes, it does get freezing in Arizona, lol.

Bikermatt
12-09-11, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the team!!! Glad you decided to stop by the forums. Those cuda cores are throwing major stones for you on GPUgrid. Imagine what they could do on DiRT.:-"

I guess we will see next time there is a challenge. This WCG one is fun.

I would like to try and stay in the top ten on GPU grid but I can help out for a challenge. I imagine I could be pulling down 5x the credit elsewhere but I have a very strong interest in biology and medicine and that is where I dedicate most of my crunching.

Mike029
12-09-11, 08:59 PM
I guess we will see next time there is a challenge. This WCG one is fun.

I would like to try and stay in the top ten on GPU grid but I can help out for a challenge. I imagine I could be pulling down 5x the credit elsewhere but I have a very strong interest in biology and medicine and that is where I dedicate most of my crunching.

Well 12/24 there is a Mersenne@home 5 day challenge and in Jam there is a Simap 7 day challenge. Then the PG challenge will start again in January. Plenty to cut our teeth on coming up. b-)

Duke of Buckingham
12-09-11, 11:45 PM
Marin Mersenne is a kind of Internet man on the 17th Century. Is main work besides Acoustics, is of putting in contact several men of science and understood the implications of a new discover in others scientist works. His abundant mail serving as bridge between several scientists is the real proof from that in an age where there were no scientific newspapers. He would be amazed and very glad with Internet.

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Biographies/Mersenne.html

It is a good page for knowing Marin Mersenne a bit better or the Wikipedia.

Duke