PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Pet Peeve's

STE\/E
12-16-11, 10:17 AM
1 .Stupidly long User Names that make me want to put a Gun to my Head and forget about BOINC: 637 ... http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/VacuumVoodoo/Miscelanea/Suicide.gif

Alien-Signal-Searcher~Looking for the Strawberryplanet = Thomas Huettinger @ [SG] ... http://www.primegrid.com/show_user.php?userid=84748

coronicus
12-16-11, 10:24 AM
Strawberry fields forever... =))

Fire$torm
12-16-11, 11:19 AM
Seems he's had way too many blunts with strawberry flavored paper..........

http://www.indian-handicrafts-exporters.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/balls-smily.jpg

Slicker
12-16-11, 12:13 PM
From an Admin perspective:
1. Users who install bleeding edge GPU drivers just even though their previous version driver worked perfectly well and then complain when it stops working - and are too dumb to unstall the new version and go back to the previous one that worked.

2. Users who install BOINC alpha versions and complain to the project admin when they can't get work, etc. even though there have been multiple posts on the boinc_alpha email list stating that it is an issue and that it will be fixed in the next version.

3. Users who either one or both of the above and then want to know when the project admin will fix it because they couldn't have possibly have done something to screw it up.

4. Users who trash over a thousand WUs in a day for several days and then complain that the server won't send them as many WUs as they want once they finally get it working.

From a user perspective:
1. The inability to set up machines to crunch projects per core. For example, if I have two projects with resource shares set for 875 and 125, when run on an i7 with hyperthreading enabled, I expect it to run 7 of the first WU and 1 of the second at all times. I don't want it suspending anything to switch back and forth nor do I expect it ever to run more than 1 of the second project at a time. Ever. Did I make that clear? EVER. Forget all the short and long term debt crap and just run given my resource allocation.

2. Projects that hand out such low credit that no matter how much they may some day help mankind I can't bring myself to crunch it.

trigggl
12-16-11, 05:44 PM
The fact that the 'Suspend GPU when active' setting in Linux doesn't work. I get constant complaints from my wife about how slow her computer is. If boinc would just shut the GPU down when she's using it like it's set to, I wouldn't be getting those complaints and forgetting to resume the offending project when she's done using it.

A project interrupts its own tasks for a newer one that's due later.

No button on the client to request new CPU or GPU work.

Beerdrinker
12-17-11, 08:17 AM
The fact that the 'Suspend GPU when active' setting in Linux doesn't work. I get constant complaints from my wife about how slow her computer is. If boinc would just shut the GPU down when she's using it like it's set to, I wouldn't be getting those complaints and forgetting to resume the offending project when she's done using it.

+1

I noticed that also on my Linux "exsperiments"...Linux is very sluggish when crunching on the GPU.

Bikermatt
12-17-11, 09:34 AM
1 .Stupidly long User Names that make me want to put a Gun to my Head and forget about BOINC: [/url]

Ha... Check this one out brother..... http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/show_user.php?userid=47965

c303a
12-17-11, 02:10 PM
How about boinc management period. Maybe we should have a re-call.

Fire$torm
12-17-11, 04:54 PM
How about boinc management period. Maybe we should have a re-call.

How about a nerd coup d'état. Time for a new uber regime.... >:)

c303a
12-17-11, 07:36 PM
How about a nerd coup d'état. Time for a new uber regime.... >:)

There you go pulling the Frenchy accent on us. Do you think the Frenchies would have the nerve to pull a coup?

Fire$torm
12-17-11, 08:54 PM
There you go pulling the Frenchy accent on us. Do you think the Frenchies would have the nerve to pull a coup?

We, we.... errr, oui, oui

Cruncher Pete
12-17-11, 10:48 PM
We, we.... errr, oui, oui

Don't tell me to"We we" any more for I have no control after my bladder following removal of my prostate. I piss on anybody not just the Frenchies without discrimination.=))=))=))

Duke of Buckingham
12-18-11, 08:13 AM
Joyeux Noël à vous tous et une heureuse nouvelle année.

Duke Le Folle:o

Fire$torm
12-18-11, 03:54 PM
Don't tell me to"We we" any more for I have no control after my bladder following removal of my prostate. I piss on anybody not just the Frenchies without discrimination.=))=))=))

But, but... errr, Butt, butt??? :P

Joyeux Noël à vous tous et une heureuse nouvelle année.

Duke Le Folle:o

Et pour toi mon ami.