PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scranton PA, USA

ConradColon
12-20-11, 05:51 PM
Just want to give a shout to all you Crunchers. I wanted to join a forum that was a bit more active and decided to join the TEAM SETI.USA. Have been a seti@home member since 2001... I remember the (Classic Days "small MMX processor and 256MB ram :-) I currently own and operate a large computer systems repair center in Scranton PA. We perform component level repair and see all kinds of system configurations. I have been thinking about deploying a couple of high end GPU systems to add to the Crunch effort and have been looking at several cards. I would like to here some of your comments as to what works for you. Anyway, Glad to be new member, hope I can be helpful.
ConradColon
CSR Inc.

Crazybob
12-20-11, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the team Conrad! Glad you found us. As far as GPU systems go, some are better for one type of work and some are better for others. If your an AMD fan, then Milkyway or SETI, are some of the projects for you. If you are a Nvidia fan then MooWrapper, Primegrid and DistrRTgen are a few there. If you are just looking to grab as much credit as you can, it's a little up in the air as far as which cards to buy. Nvidia is releasing a new GTX780 card and AMD is releasing their 7XXX series cards. I haven't read any comparisons yet. My fleet have older cards in them, so I'm not getting the credit I would like. If there are specific projects or disciplines you are looking for, we can probably make some recommendations. There is a lot of knowledge on this team. :D

Fogle
12-20-11, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the team Conrad, glad you found us. This is a pretty lively group always something going on. Were are currently in a PrimeGrid race. So look around and don't be a stranger! :cool:

valyn42
12-20-11, 08:59 PM
Glad you made it to the boards! I run a couple GTX 570's, a 590, and a 460. Also have one Radeon 6950. Right now all are going full tilt on the PrimeGrid challenge. Crazybob gave you the lowdown on the better paying projects, but we are a crunch-what-you-want kind of team so enjoy!

spingadus
12-20-11, 09:14 PM
Welcome! You came to the right place to ask those questions as we have a lot of knowledgeable people on this team. Personally, I'm running a GTX 590 and HD 6970 so I can spread the credit wealth between the Nvidia and AMD focused projects. The GPU's you want will depend on what projects you wish to run. If you just want higher credits, then take a look at these threads:

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?2392-Max-Credits-projects-CPU-GPU-amp-Most-credits-per-GPU-s

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?378-BOINC-GPU-Compatibility-List

Also, we have subteams depending on what your crunching focus is. Check out the team member forum areas for those.

Slicker
12-21-11, 12:22 PM
I remember the (Classic Days "small MMX processor and 256MB ram

Up until about two years ago, the Collatz project's firewall was still using a P200-MMX w/ 96MB EDO RAM (8 sticks: 4x16MB and 4X8MB), a 1.2GB HDD, and four 3com 3C905 NICs (10Mbps).
When the HDD died, out of respect for its years of service, I put the new MB in the same Micron Millenia Mxe case shown here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/workstations/1549/micron-millennia-mxe-p200

Fire$torm
12-21-11, 03:59 PM
Hello Conradcolon,

Nice to make your acquaintance and welcome aboard. If you need any help or are looking for suggestions just holler. And any thoughts/ideas/suggestions you wish to make are always welcome. Enjoy.

coronicus
12-21-11, 04:58 PM
Hiya... Happy to have you aboard... Oh and what better way to test your customers pc's with an overnite crunch fest hint hint wink wink nudge nudge... =))

As for GPU IMO the best value for me was the AMD 6950 modded to a 6970 but success is not 100% for everyone just was fun to do while they were on sale... I guess it comes down to what projects you have passion for and wether they suport the GPU, also mentioned before newer cards are just around the corner that are supose to be much much faster so you may want to wait a bit...

rgathright
12-21-11, 05:14 PM
Welcome aboard Conrad!

Cruncher Pete
12-21-11, 08:04 PM
Just want to give a shout to all you Crunchers. I wanted to join a forum that was a bit more active and decided to join the TEAM SETI.USA. Have been a seti@home member since 2001... I remember the (Classic Days "small MMX processor and 256MB ram :-) I currently own and operate a large computer systems repair center in Scranton PA. We perform component level repair and see all kinds of system configurations. I have been thinking about deploying a couple of high end GPU systems to add to the Crunch effort and have been looking at several cards. I would like to here some of your comments as to what works for you. Anyway, Glad to be new member, hope I can be helpful.
ConradColon
CSR Inc.

Conrad, it is absolutely the reason why I am sending invitations to all new comers to any project. ZI as in you situation at one time and I needed a bit of help to get along. This help to you is now available, have fund. Enjoy you stay...

DrPop
01-08-12, 02:05 AM
Hi Conrad,
Thanks for joining the team, and hope you like the forums here! Just ask if you have any questions about the GPU crunching or any of the projects - lots of very knowledgeable crunchers on this team, and they've all helped me out more than once! ;)