PDA

View Full Version : Computer giving me Problems. Win32/small.ca virus

Mike029
12-22-11, 12:50 PM
I have been running into a Bsod problem for about a week now. It started with one and now happening about 10x a day. I'm told my Win 7 that my gaming box has caught a virus called Win32/small.ca virus. Win 7 has been telling me for 2 days now that I have this. I can't find it nor get rid of it. Trend Micro Titanium is my Security suite. I've used the following in both safe mode and reg.

The windows malware program that they tell me to d/l
Trend Micro & Trend Micro House call
Adware
Sb search & destroy
Malwarebytes
ComboFix

I have to run the programs in safe mode or the system crashes to blue screen.

Combo fix found 5 things related to java and deleted them. I forgot to write down what it deleted. This has not removed it and my computer Bsod's 2 to 6 times today alone. I've run the memory diagnostic and it come back good. My hard drive ran chkdsk due to the bsod's and it came back good.

Any ideas?

Fire$torm
12-22-11, 01:37 PM
Sounds like you have more then one virus or piece of mailware in your system. Although there is probably a combination of utilities to purge the culprits, it will take quite a bit of time.

The easier solution from my point of view is to use Linux from a LiveCD/thumb drive to grab any files you need to save, as long as they are non-executable. No .exe or .com files. And do not try to save any Windows system files either. After you have saved everything that you wanted then you can use the Linus Gparted partition editor to to reformat the HDD. Although it probably isn't necessary, I would recommend formatting the whole drive twice, first with a Linux partition like ext3 or ext4, then delete the full partition and format to fat32. When you reinstall Windows, let it reformat to NTFS (but do not use Quick formatting). Bug written for Windows cannot execute in a Linux environment and therefore cannot hide from a Linux partition utility.

Edit: To be on the safe side do not copy any saved files onto your reformatted system until you have scanned them with good anti-malware and anti-virus programs. For malware I like Malwarebytes utility (Link (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)). For anti-virus I use AVG Free edition.

Crazybob
12-22-11, 02:54 PM
When I get a virus, I try almost anything to get rid of it before a reformat. Just from reading some comments on the web, I think firestorm's idea might be the best way to go. Sounds like this thing includes a rootkit virus that is trying to protect itself. Doesn't look like any of the more popular removal tools even identify it. Good luck and I hope you don't loose anything that you can't replace.:(

Duke of Buckingham
12-22-11, 11:46 PM
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/w7itprosecurity/thread/e30d0a4f-00d8-447d-967a-1e9c9e294204

Mike see this thread and I think the best tool could be this next one.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201

Duke

See this for better understanding

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Virus%3AWin32%2FSmall.R

zombie67
12-23-11, 01:32 AM
Here is my approach (as if anyone cares. ;) ):

Use a mac for day to day. Keep it updated and no AV required. :cool:

But this machine is a dedicated gaming machine? Then what is the big deal? Nothing to lose right? Wipe the drive and reinstall. That is what I would do with a dedicated cruncher. Why would this be any different?

c303a
12-23-11, 10:26 AM
I had a virus from the latest Java update. I ended up using Microsoft Security Essential in safe mode. It got rid of it. I then ran Malwarebytes as well as Advanced System care. I since have gone back to an older version of Java. Oracle says that the Java is safe but the forums say that there is some sort of spyware in it the is causing the problems.
I also ran regedit and deleted all java references.

DrPop
12-23-11, 10:42 AM
I have successfully removed a couple viri in years past. However, if it was me, I would wipe the drive and start fresh. It's the only way you really know that it's gone for good.

zombie67
12-23-11, 10:57 AM
It's the only way you really know that it's gone for good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg

Mike029
12-23-11, 02:16 PM
I agree with all of you on this. I do have some kids pics and reports on there. I'll just back them up kill anything that could be and executable file and do a fresh install. Can I just reformat in windows or do I really need to do the Linux install?

Fire$torm
12-23-11, 06:30 PM
I agree with all of you on this. I do have some kids pics and reports on there. I'll just back them up kill anything that could be and executable file and do a fresh install. Can I just reformat in windows or do I really need to do the Linux install?

Yeah, you should use Linux but you do not need to install it. Most versions of Linux (aka distros) can be run from a CD (LiveCD) or thumb drive. Used this way you get full use of the OS like it was installed on the hard drive. From that point you can use the partition editor called gparted (at least with all current Ubuntu distros) and follow the method I posted above. If you need help just let me know.

Mike029
12-24-11, 10:44 AM
Yeah, you should use Linux but you do not need to install it. Most versions of Linux (aka distros) can be run from a CD (LiveCD) or thumb drive. Used this way you get full use of the OS like it was installed on the hard drive. From that point you can use the partition editor called gparted (at least with all current Ubuntu distros) and follow the method I posted above. If you need help just let me know.

Thank F$, This will be my after Christmas project.

Fire$torm
12-24-11, 02:39 PM
Thank F$, This will be my after Christmas project.

Cool. BTW, you can also allow one of us with Ubuntu experience to do a remote desktop connection if you need hands on help. Though Ubuntu tends to mimic Windows so it shouldn't be hard for you to manage it.