PDA

View Full Version : Greetings everyone!!!

autocrosser
12-24-11, 11:18 AM
Greeting Everyone!!! I'm autocrosser (Dean Loros) & hail from the Pacific Northwest. Have crunched for Seti.usa for several years now....just finally decided to "really" join :) I have been crunching since 1999 when I joined SETI---back then I was using a Apple G3 Blue & White :) I've moved to Linux (2004) & now build my own equipment, currently running a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 board with a i7-950 clocked to 3.88 with 12G DDR3-2000 ram. I do testing/debug for Linux Mint in my spare time.......

Crazybob
12-24-11, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the boards Dean! If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to post them. There's a lot of knowledge here.

Mike029
12-24-11, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the boards!!!

Fire$torm
12-24-11, 05:18 PM
Hello autocrosser, It is good to see you here on the forum. Thank you for making the effort. I hope you like it here. There is lots of good info in the threads. Enjoy.

Fogle
12-24-11, 09:38 PM
Hello Welcome to the team! Gald you found your way here. What projects are you intrested? :D

autocrosser
12-25-11, 11:20 AM
Well--my project list is:
PrimeGrid--GPUGrid--SETI--Einstein--Milkyway--Rosetta--Collatz--ABC--Docking--World Community Grid--NFS--Climateprediction--EDGeS--Lattice Project--Yoyo--Boincsimap--AlmereGrid & LHC@home.

So I mix it up quite a bit---My numbers went up quite a bit lately when I got a pair of GTS 450 cards (both seem to be working well for me)

I still like the straight science projects like SETI & I'm interested in things like Orbit, Einstein & other cosmological projects......I do the numbers projects to get numbers :)

I keep a number of medical projects going because it feels good to do so......

Fire$torm
12-25-11, 01:24 PM
That is all good stuff and you are in good company there. BTW, we have a several members who are Linux only, running Gentoo, Arch or Mint. I'm just a casual Ubuntu guy myself. Anyhoot, your knowledge is most welcome.

coronicus
12-25-11, 02:52 PM
Hiya... Thanks for your years of dedication to the team. Its nice to see you on the boards and welcome aboard.. :cool:

autocrosser
12-25-11, 04:23 PM
That is all good stuff and you are in good company there. BTW, we have a several members who are Linux only, running Gentoo, Arch or Mint. I'm just a casual Ubuntu guy myself. Anyhoot, your knowledge is most welcome.

Very Good!!! You might consider leaving Ubuntu & joining Mint--I was a Alpha/Beta tester for Ubuntu for many years (2004 Warty to 2010 Oneric) & made the move to LMDE Nov 2010 (due to "disagreements" with a couple of Ubuntu Devs about "Unity"). The best of both worlds--Debian "tamed" By Mint :) & it's lighter weight than regular Mint or Ubuntu. The "bleeding edge group" meets at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=201 I'm running the Gnome3/Gnome Shell testing Thread....My "normal" OS is Debian Experimental--It's "really" more stable than Sid & you get all the new shiny stuff first ;)

autocrosser
12-25-11, 04:24 PM
Hiya... Thanks for your years of dedication to the team. Its nice to see you on the boards and welcome aboard.. :cool:

Thank You!!! I thought that it was about time to touch base with the group I was crunchin' for :D

Mike029
12-26-11, 10:53 AM
Well--my project list is:
PrimeGrid--GPUGrid--SETI--Einstein--Milkyway--Rosetta--Collatz--ABC--Docking--World Community Grid--NFS--Climateprediction--EDGeS--Lattice Project--Yoyo--Boincsimap--AlmereGrid & LHC@home.

So I mix it up quite a bit---My numbers went up quite a bit lately when I got a pair of GTS 450 cards (both seem to be working well for me)

I still like the straight science projects like SETI & I'm interested in things like Orbit, Einstein & other cosmological projects......I do the numbers projects to get numbers :)

I keep a number of medical projects going because it feels good to do so......

I miss Orbits. I really liked the idea of finding near Earth objects and mapping space junk that may strike the Earth. Sounded like a really important project but funding dried up. :(

autocrosser
12-26-11, 11:17 AM
I miss Orbits. I really liked the idea of finding near Earth objects and mapping space junk that may strike the Earth. Sounded like a really important project but funding dried up. :(

YES--that was a real bummer!!! In terms of near-future threats, near-Earth objects is high on the list......

Fire$torm
12-26-11, 06:10 PM
About Orbit funding, I do remember reading on their site that there is a chance for funding sometime next year. Keeping fingers crossed.

DrPop
01-08-12, 02:01 AM
Hi Dean,
Sorry I'm late to adding to your thread - but you have my thanks for all your years of helping the team out, and please enjoy your stay! In the Members' only forum you will find some fun threads on what we're crunching, all the good stuff about trying to grow the team, etc. ;)
Take care and happy crunching with that nice i7! :D

autocrosser
01-09-12, 12:31 AM
Hi Dean,
Sorry I'm late to adding to your thread - but you have my thanks for all your years of helping the team out, and please enjoy your stay! In the Members' only forum you will find some fun threads on what we're crunching, all the good stuff about trying to grow the team, etc. ;)
Take care and happy crunching with that nice i7! :D

Not a problem!!!! Just nice to hear from people that share the same interests---I've been looking thru the various threads, just haven't done much in the way of posting yet...doing a fair amount of testing work right now--the Gnome3 project is about half-way thru the testing cycle to 3.4.....been a bit "fun" with debug :p

Mike029
01-09-12, 09:15 AM
Not a problem!!!! Just nice to hear from people that share the same interests---I've been looking thru the various threads, just haven't done much in the way of posting yet...doing a fair amount of testing work right now--the Gnome3 project is about half-way thru the testing cycle to 3.4.....been a bit "fun" with debug :p

Hey AC, can you spare few cores for the SIMAP challenge? We are looking to put a scare into Sici. Thanks bud.

autocrosser
01-10-12, 01:11 AM
Hey AC, can you spare few cores for the SIMAP challenge? We are looking to put a scare into Sici. Thanks bud.

I'm all over that!!! Been crunchin' them all day.......I have a very sharp spike up in SIMAP units right now;)

coronicus
01-10-12, 01:41 AM
I'm all over that!!! Been crunchin' them all day.......I have a very sharp spike up in SIMAP units right now;)

U DA MAN... \m/

Fire$torm
01-10-12, 02:03 AM

U DA MAN... \m/

+1 Yeah, what he done said...

Mike029
01-10-12, 07:36 AM

Yeah Baby!! Thanks!!!

DrPop
01-10-12, 04:17 PM

Awesome, man! :D Those i7 rigs flat chew up these SIMAP WUs don't they? ;)

Slicker
01-12-12, 12:08 AM
Remeber that you have to join the SETI.USA in each project you crunch in order for the team to get the credits as well as yourself. Also, if you have any nVidia or AMD GPUs, they can probably crunch on many of your projects including SETI, Einstein, and others. If you really want to see your credits per day increase, try MooWrapper with your AMD graphics cards or PrimeGrid's PPS Sieve with your nVidida cards. There are others (MilkyWay, GPUGrid, Collatz, POEM, etc. ) that can also use GPUs. While there are only a few projects that support older GPUs, they can still crunch as much or more than an i7 in a given day.