PDA

View Full Version : 560TIx2: What is a reasonable OC?

zombie67
12-28-11, 10:57 PM
So I have this 560TIx2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130737). Just FYI, it is significantly faster at einstein than my 580 and 590s. It will run a task in 70% of the time of the faster cards. But is slower at everything else. Go figure. So I have it running einstein for now.

Anyway, stock speed is 850mhz. What is a reasonable, stable OC speed? nVidia doesn't have a "find the best speed settings" tool like ATI. So I'm flying blind here. And I really don't feel like spending hours/days with trial and error. TIA!

John P. Myers
12-29-11, 12:58 AM
Not sure how well your setup handles heat, but i'd shoot for 950MHz, leaving the memory speed alone.

zombie67
12-29-11, 01:01 AM
Not sure how well your setup handles heat, but i'd shoot for 950MHz, leaving the memory speed alone.

It is in a HAF-X. So plenty of flow. I'll give 950 a shot.

DrPop
12-29-11, 11:32 AM
You may have to up the voltage a tiny bit to do hit 950 - but I think it should do it easily with low temps as well in that case!:cool:

zombie67
12-30-11, 05:53 PM
You may have to up the voltage a tiny bit to do hit 950 - but I think it should do it easily with low temps as well in that case!:cool:

Where can you access the voltage? I am not seeing it in the nvidia control panel.

STE\/E
12-30-11, 06:43 PM
Where can you access the voltage? I am not seeing it in the nvidia control panel.

Ummmmmm, ever heard of MSI Afterburner, FYI I did run 2 Albert Wu's on 1 of my 560 Twins @ 950 Core Speed and both Wu's failed to Validate, they both finished without error but didn't Validate ... :confused:

zombie67
12-30-11, 06:55 PM
Ummmmmm, ever heard of MSI Afterburner, FYI I did run 2 Albert Wu's on 1 of my 560 Twins and both Wu's failed to Validate, they both finished without error but didn't Validate ... :confused:

Ah. That's right. Never used it before. Okay, running it now.

Current voltage is 1037. So how much is "a tiny bit more"?

Also, there is a check box for "force constant voltage". It's not clear to me what that does exactly. I googled it, and I see people asking this question. All the answers are "you don't need that". But nothing that explains what it does.

STE\/E
12-30-11, 07:00 PM
Try 1050 Volts & 950 Core, leave the Memory @ Stock & see if they Validate, Mine might have not Validated because I bumped the Memory up by 100 ...

zombie67
12-30-11, 07:16 PM
Try 1050 Volts & 950 Core, leave the Memory @ Stock & see if they Validate, Mine might have not Validated because I bumped the Memory up by 100 ...

Done! And it seems to be running fine with those settings. I'll keep an eye on it for the next day or so. Thanks everyone for the advice!

John P. Myers
12-30-11, 07:48 PM
I believe the "force constant voltage" thingy does just that. but that's the obvious part :p

When the full amount of the voltage you set isn't needed, it'll drop down some, like if it went into an idle state or even running with a light load. CPUs do the same thing. But yeah, you don't need that. Allowing the voltage to drop when it can is a good thing.

DrPop
12-31-11, 03:01 PM
That's awesome you got the O/C! Sorry, for a late answer, haven't' been on in a while. We're driving down to my Grandparents' place for the New Year tonight as well. :cool:

That seems about right on the volts - I have my regular GTX 460s running at 1024 volts and 900 clock / 1800 memory. So the 560 Ti should definitely hit the 950 range since it's a little more refined and efficient. :)

Did the O/C help any of the times? I know it makes a huge difference on the 460 series as far as the speed of things. They don't have as many CUDA cores as some of the larger cards, but if you run them fast, it kind of makes up for some of the difference, I think. :o

zombie67
12-31-11, 08:38 PM
Did the O/C help any of the times? I know it makes a huge difference on the 460 series as far as the speed of things. They don't have as many CUDA cores as some of the larger cards, but if you run them fast, it kind of makes up for some of the difference, I think. :o

Good think you asked! I just looked, and the times shot up from ~35 minutes to ~80 minutes. I will have to investigate and report back.

STE\/E
01-01-12, 04:20 AM
Good think you asked! I just looked, and the times shot up from ~35 minutes to ~80 minutes. I will have to investigate and report back.

All of the GTX 4xx & 5xx Series will Downclock if they don't like the Overclock you give them. You can always try more Voltage to see if they hold the Overclock but more voltage brings more heat to the cores & increases the Wattage use too ...