PDA

View Full Version : Milkyway: Raised GPU work limits

RSS
01-07-12, 03:05 PM
I've raised the work limit to 20 tasks per GPU to see what happens.

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=2732)

coronicus
01-07-12, 03:55 PM
I really wish they would up it to 300 then maybe i could feel safe knowing i have enough work for overnight...

DrPop
01-17-12, 03:10 AM
I really wish they would up it to 300 then maybe i could feel safe knowing i have enough work for overnight...

...but then you might crash their server if you uploaded them all at once...:rolleyes::p:o

Slicker
01-17-12, 03:13 PM
MW uses the output from the returned WUs to generate the new WUs, so increasing the number isn't easy and/or may have computers crunching on useless data that will later be discarded because another WU returned by another host negates the need for the data. That being said....

20? Big deal! That's where it was before Travis lowered it in the first place a couple years ago. So, with all the new server hardware and updated code, it finally is back to the status quo of two years ago? Wow. I wish I could get paid for that type of non-production at my job.

Mike029
01-18-12, 09:19 AM
MW uses the output from the returned WUs to generate the new WUs, so increasing the number isn't easy and/or may have computers crunching on useless data that will later be discarded because another WU returned by another host negates the need for the data. That being said....

20? Big deal! That's where it was before Travis lowered it in the first place a couple years ago. So, with all the new server hardware and updated code, it finally is back to the status quo of two years ago? Wow. I wish I could get paid for that type of non-production at my job.

It's nice having someone who knows how this stuff works. Thanks Slicker. I was sitting here reading this and thinking wow, glad all that hew hardware is working out. :)