PDA

View Full Version : Hello

artemis8
01-19-12, 11:06 AM
I am Karyn. I grew up in California and my sister graduated from Berkeley (I moved to Kansas City and graduated from University Missouri - Kansas City). I've been using SETI on and off since March 2001. I also BOINC for Rosetta too.
Nice to be there.

Bok
01-19-12, 11:16 AM
Welcome to SETI.USA !

DrPop
01-19-12, 11:49 AM
Good morning Karyn, it's great to meet you, and I'm glad you stopped by the forums! Are you a member of Team SETI.USA at your projects? If so, or if you join SETI.USA at the projects you crunch, we can make you a full Member on here, and it will open up more forums for you! ;)
Just let us know, and please enjoy your stay!

Beerdrinker
01-19-12, 11:56 AM
Hello and WELCOME to the team!

Please forgive my ignorance. But it Karyn a male or female name?? :o

artemis8
01-19-12, 11:58 AM
I am a member on my Rosetta@home account. But am on the Kansas City team for SETI.

artemis8
01-19-12, 11:58 AM
Hello and WELCOME to the team!

Please forgive my ignorance. But it Karyn a male or female name?? :o

I'm female :)

Mike029
01-19-12, 12:04 PM
Well, glad you found us. Hope you will stay awhile. ;) Welcome to the team. We are currently in a Challenge running World Community Grid. Perhaps you would like to participate?

DrPop
01-19-12, 12:07 PM
I am a member on my Rosetta@home account. But am on the Kansas City team for SETI.

OK, kind of a 50/50 team member. That's cool, thanks for all the help at Rosetta. I know the team can sure use the help there!
EDIT: I was going to make you a Friend of SETI.USA, but then I don't want everyone to think I'm a hard nose, so I will just make you a full team member here at this point.
I suppose one project for the team should be enough (in theory)...just as long as you don't crunch any challenges for our 3 big rivals, I can't see where it would matter much. ;)
Ah, well don't mean to ramble, I will go get it started...AND WELCOME TO THE TEAM. Please bring some friends with you, we are striving to make SETI.USA the #1 team in BOINC crunching once again! :o

artemis8
01-19-12, 12:14 PM
Well, glad you found us. Hope you will stay awhile. ;) Welcome to the team. We are currently in a Challenge running World Community Grid. Perhaps you would like to participate?

Sure, how does it work?

trigggl
01-19-12, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the team and the board.

One of the main reasons I switched from the Gentoo Linux team to SETI.USA is because SETI.USA was available to join on every project that I work on. Now, of course, I work on all of them to make milestones.

DrPop
01-19-12, 12:22 PM
There, now you have the Eagle by your name and are officially a Team Member on here. Now you should be able to see the Challenges and Events forum, etc. :)

Hope you enjoy hanging out here with all of us, and if you have any computer or BOINC crunching related questions, please ask, because there is a wealth of knowledge on this large team!
Again, thanks for being a part of Team SETI.USA.
Pops

artemis8
01-19-12, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the team and the board.

One of the main reasons I switched from the Gentoo Linux team to SETI.USA is because SETI.USA was available to join on every project that I work on. Now, of course, I work on all of them to make milestones.

Personal milestones or team ones?

trigggl
01-19-12, 12:46 PM
Personal milestones or team ones?

Personal primarily, but I'll take a break for a team one if we're close. I'm currently working on getting 25k in as many projects as possible.

At some point I may go heavy on SETI again since they're starting to work with the Kepler data.

Crazybob
01-19-12, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the team Karyn. Glad you are helping out in Rosetta. Forgive Beer, There must be many a burly guy in Denmark named Karyn. JK Beer. :cool:
Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Fire$torm
01-19-12, 08:25 PM
Hello Karyn,

Very nice to meet you. Thanks for making the effort for the team on Rosetta. Have a look around the forum. Enjoy.

Mike029
01-19-12, 10:43 PM
Sure, how does it work?

Open Boinc manager. Then click on the "tools" top left side of the Boinc manager. Click "Add Project" scroll all the way to the end and above Yoyo is World Community Grid. Click on World Community Grid and create a account. Done!! Should start receiving work units. Thanks for the help. Great project for the science, terrible for credits.

artemis8
01-19-12, 10:51 PM
Open Boinc manager. Then click on the "tools" top left side of the Boinc manager. Click "Add Project" scroll all the way to the end and above Yoyo is World Community Grid. Click on World Community Grid and create a account. Done!! Should start receiving work units. Thanks for the help. Great project for the science, terrible for credits.

Cool. I added myself to the seti.usa team. I suppose I am all set up now :)

Mike029
01-19-12, 10:56 PM
Cool. I added myself to the seti.usa team. I suppose I am all set up now :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Work, work, work...

Wonderful, If you have a gpu we can get that working too..

artemis8
01-19-12, 11:00 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Work, work, work...

Wonderful, If you have a gpu we can get that working too..

Sorry I am not sure what gpu is.

Mike029
01-19-12, 11:03 PM
Sorry I am not sure what gpu is.

Your graphics card. Do you know what type you have? If not, no problem. You using a desktop or laptop computer? What is the name and model of your computer? Then I may be able to tell if you have one that can crunch Boinc.

artemis8
01-19-12, 11:06 PM
Your graphics card. Do you know what type you have? If not, no problem. You using a desktop or laptop computer? What is the name and model of your computer? Then I may be able to tell if you have one that can crunch Boinc.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series on a desktop.

Mike029
01-19-12, 11:20 PM
I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series on a desktop.

Do the same as before only this time count five down and add Collatz. The go to the collatz website at http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/index.php , click on "Your account". Then click on "Collatz Conjecture Preference" , select "Edit Collatz conjecture preferences, set "Use CPU" to no hit "update preferences" and you are done. Now you will get some real good credits.

coronicus
01-23-12, 05:28 AM
Hiya Karyn, I am always happy to see new folks. Thank you for joining in our cause for the WCG challenge this is just awesome, we are curently in 3rd and hope to hold that position with your help. We won 1st place so far for two challenges SETI and SIMAP also we are in the process of getting ready for the PG challenge if your interested should be a big show down. Also remember you dont have to crunch for these projects if you don't want to this is a crunch what you want team. If challenges intrest you then join in with us as we compete against other teams, If your after points we have a subteam that list which projects pay the most, if your interested in milestones we have a subteam setup for that or if your just a casual cruncher and just want a place to hang out then welcome aboard.

Slicker
01-24-12, 06:58 PM
Do the same as before only this time count five down and add Collatz. The go to the collatz website at http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/index.php , click on "Your account". Then click on "Collatz Conjecture Preference" , select "Edit Collatz conjecture preferences, set "Use CPU" to no hit "update preferences" and you are done. Now you will get some real good credits.

Check "Use GPU" if you want work for your HD 57xx graphics card. If you want to crunch other projects with your CPU so that you only get work for your video card, uncheck the "Use CPU".
CPU = central processing unit
GPU = graphical processing unit (a.k.a. video card)

GalaxyIce
02-02-12, 07:48 AM
'bout time I said hello to you Karyn. "Hello" :-h

artemis8
02-02-12, 09:53 AM
'bout time I said hello to you Karyn. "Hello" :-h

Yeah, I was really wondering when you were going to, here I was getting disappointed, but now I feel much better ;)
Hiyas Galaxy, a friend from across the pond!

GalaxyIce
02-02-12, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I was really wondering when you were going to, here I was getting disappointed, but now I feel much better ;)
Hiyas Galaxy, a friend from across the pond!

Hi Artemis, yes, I'm on the other side of the pond but no stranger to the USA. I have aunts, uncles, nephews, a sister and various other family over your way, mainly in Arizona. Last time I was there I visited the Grand Canyon and couldn't see past my nose, the fog was that thick. But then how many people can say they have (barely) seen the Grand Canyon in winter fog? Hey, come on, I got in for free :))