PDA

View Full Version : Hello SETI.USA, Need Help, I am not impressed with BOINC.

Zoy47
01-21-12, 09:05 PM
A HISTORY, I have run Seti@home for many previous years on my systems with no problems, then the BOINC Project was launched. At that time I was running Windows 2000 Pro and every time I tried to do something the computers were slow and seemed like they were being overwhelmed by other programs. After many tweaks I finally got the systems to function acceptably.

In early 2008 I was injured in an accident and had to discontinue my computer services to the Seti cause. I have since recovered and relocated to the Philippines and have tried to get the Seti program to function on my computer here.

THE PROBLEM, my current system here is running Windows 7 Professional with Norton Internet Security 2010, on a Intel Core Duo CPU T6400 2.0GHZ, with 4 GB Memory. I have tried to install Boinc Version 6.12.33 (x86) several times now but have not established a connection with Seti program when I start my computer. Then I read some of the news items on Seti and one stated they were not sending new work out.

Recently I got a message from Seti that they were distributing work again, but i was still getting the same message from BOINC "Couldn't write the state file; Check Directory Permissions". Yesterday I loaded the newest Version 6.12.34 (x86) of BOINC and to my surprise the problem had disappeared and Seti had uploaded work to my machine again and started running. When I restarted the computer this morning I was back to square one again with the BOINC error "Couldn't write the state file; Check Directory Permissions" I have previously given full administrative use to the BOINC directories and can not understand the error message.

Has anyone here experienced this problem before and how did you resolve it? I am hesitant to install BOINC on my larger i7 server if it will not work on my smaller Windows 7 System.

Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.

RAC

Fire$torm
01-21-12, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear BOINC is giving you problems.

I do have a question, why are you installing the x86 version? Is your OS x86?

Also, what settings did you use in the BOINC installer?

coronicus
01-22-12, 03:44 AM
Hiya, Well we will do our best to help you for sure. Like Fire$torm you might wanna check to see if your running 64bit or 32bit version of windows. Left click on start and find "Computer" on the right side and Right click it and Left click "Properties" . Once the window opens look for "System Type" and let us know what version your running.. fyi x86 is for 32 bit and x64 if for 64bit.

GalaxyIce
01-22-12, 06:00 AM
You might want to go here; http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D) to select a specific BOINC version 32/64 bit etc.

DrPop
01-22-12, 12:31 PM
Hi Zoy47,
Some good thoughts here already about making sure you have the correct version - either 32 or 64 bit for your OS. Another thought I had was the Norton might be screwing it up - anyway you can turn that off? It might now be allowing BOINC to access your hard drive. Last thought at the moment - when you installed BOINC did you click advanced and then "Allow BOINC for ALL users"? That may need to be clicked if you are installing on a different User ID than whoever is the Administrator on that particular computer.
Just some quick thoughts, hope you get this ironed out, we are grateful to have you onboard the team with us! PLEASE let us know how it goes, there is a TON of combined BOINC and computer knowledge on this team, so someone will have the answer, we must keep going forward until we find it. Don't give up yet, mate! ;)
Pop