PDA

View Full Version : Script to Keep Me from Murdering Cows

Maxwell
01-23-12, 10:00 PM
I'm going to defer to the people who know the first thing about programming to see if y'all can answer my question...

Can I set up a script to kill a Moo WU if it runs longer than 12 minutes?

With my dual 5970 set up, the Moo WUs comlete in less than 10 minutes if they finish. If I run into an error (which happens once or twice a day, and, frustratingly, almost always right after I go to bed), the WU will run forever without finishing until I kill it.

Can I set something up to auto-abort a the WU if it runs longer than a set time? This is on Win7x64, 11.5 driver, BOINC 6.10.58.

I, of course, don't know the first thing about how to do this...

spingadus
01-23-12, 11:45 PM
I had an issue like this and worked around it by using BoincTasks. You can setup a rule that suspends any task that goes over a time limit. It's not a script and it doesn't 'kill' the task, but it stops it from running and frees up the task. Plus BT is way better than the default Boinc gui and allows you to control all your Boinc clients at once.

trigggl
01-24-12, 06:55 AM
I'm going to defer to the people who know the first thing about programming to see if y'all can answer my question...

Can I set up a script to kill a Moo WU if it runs longer than 12 minutes?

With my dual 5970 set up, the Moo WUs comlete in less than 10 minutes if they finish. If I run into an error (which happens once or twice a day, and, frustratingly, almost always right after I go to bed), the WU will run forever without finishing until I kill it.

Can I set something up to auto-abort a the WU if it runs longer than a set time? This is on Win7x64, 11.5 driver, BOINC 6.10.58.

I, of course, don't know the first thing about how to do this...

I have a solution. Don't go to bed.

I could write a script to do that in Linux, but wouldn't know the commands to do something similar in Windows.

If you go to a command prompt (DOS) and type

boinccmd.exe --get_tasks
it will give you a list of all the tasks along with their active state, CPU time, %complete, estimated time to completion and other things. You may have to measure it by CPU time, though. I don't know where the run time is kept, maybe in one of the xml files.

Slicker
01-24-12, 10:52 AM
I have a solution. Don't go to bed.

I could write a script to do that in Linux, but wouldn't know the commands to do something similar in Windows.

If you go to a command prompt (DOS) and type

boinccmd.exe --get_tasks
it will give you a list of all the tasks along with their active state, CPU time, %complete, estimated time to completion and other things. You may have to measure it by CPU time, though. I don't know where the run time is kept, maybe in one of the xml files.

Using CPU time is not advised since the task is a GPU task. When a GPU task hangs, it is usually while running a GPU kernel (e.g. exceeded the timeout which causes the driver to reset). If programmed well (and Moo's appear to be done quite well), it uses no CPU time after that. So, elapsed time continues to rise but CPU time will not.

Maxwell
01-24-12, 11:34 AM
Holy crap. I'm going to kiss spingadus on the mouth...

I didn't know BOINCtasks had that feature, or i would have been using it before now. That solved the problem exactly. Thank you!

Mike029
01-24-12, 11:44 AM

I didn't know BOINCtasks had that feature, or i would have been using it before now. That solved the problem exactly. Thank you!

I did not realize how much I missed your posts. =))=)) The one about the Explorer browser had me rolling too. =))=))

spingadus
01-24-12, 12:30 PM

As long as there's no tongue... that costs extra!

Maxwell
01-24-12, 01:46 PM
As long as there's no tongue... that costs extra!
Done and done. I may even buy you a nice dinner first. :cool:

And yes, Mike, I'm glad I can entertain you.

spingadus
01-24-12, 03:27 PM
Done and done. I may even buy you a nice dinner first. :cool:

And yes, Mike, I'm glad I can entertain you.

I think I've found a new profession :P

coronicus
01-25-12, 04:40 PM
it's getting hot in herre

Duke of Buckingham
01-25-12, 05:02 PM
http://images.kisscostumes.com/demon-full-mask.jpg

Tongue Kiss.

Duke:p