PDA

View Full Version : my first milestone for myself

artemis8
02-03-12, 11:26 AM
Before joining here my Highest World position ever was 9-6-2006. Now, it is today :)
84036 at 2012-02-03 I'd imagine it will probably only go up (or rather future dates) from there. Whoever said this is addictive is pretty right on.

Al
02-03-12, 11:30 AM
Congratulations! You officially have "the bug."

Fogle
02-03-12, 11:43 AM
Congratulations !! Way to go !!:cool:

Beerdrinker
02-03-12, 11:45 AM
Congratulations!!!

Mike029
02-03-12, 11:52 AM
The long climb up the leader board begins... Congrats. The milestones will start to pileup quickly..

Fire$torm
02-03-12, 12:22 PM
Hoorah! Now begins all the planning. Which wall to tear down to make room for the computer farm, when to double or triple electrical service, etc...

Welcome to the club. :-bd

artemis8
02-03-12, 12:29 PM
Hoorah! Now begins all the planning. Which wall to tear down to make room for the computer farm, when to double or triple electrical service, etc...

Welcome to the club. :-bd

Actually we have several computers I could probably use, we have a couple servers/computers downstairs, plus hubby's main computer and my son's laptop computer. But I think I might have ease into that, since those computers don't really belong to 'me'. Hubby can be possessive. I don't see any home remodeling in my near future though hehe.

DrPop
02-03-12, 12:50 PM
Before joining here my Highest World position ever was 9-6-2006. Now, it is today :)
84036 at 2012-02-03 I'd imagine it will probably only go up (or rather future dates) from there. Whoever said this is addictive is pretty right on.

Waaaaaahhhhoooooooooooooo!!! :D Wonderful news. Thanks for sailing with the SETI.USA ship and let's make sure the voyage is grand! ;)

Hmmm...so for the times we don't have a Team Challenge going, do you have any favorite projects yet, or are you going to go for Max Credits or maybe something else?:confused::cool:

artemis8
02-03-12, 12:54 PM
Waaaaaahhhhoooooooooooooo!!! :D Wonderful news. Thanks for sailing with the SETI.USA ship and let's make sure the voyage is grand! ;)

Hmmm...so for the times we don't have a Team Challenge going, do you have any favorite projects yet, or are you going to go for Max Credits or maybe something else?:confused::cool:

I'll probably stick with what I did before, SETI and Rosetta. But since joining I like Collatz Conjecture for all the credits and I think WCG is a really good project for humanity and stuff so I guess those four. Math isn't that interesting to me, but I'll definitely do PG for the challenges. I like the more science or medicine type ones I think. Although a little bit of me is like...hmm I want a big ole signature thing like of the other people so I should do 1 wu from every project just to have a big signature :P

coronicus
02-03-12, 01:13 PM
I'll probably stick with what I did before, SETI and Rosetta. But since joining I like Collatz Conjecture for all the credits and I think WCG is a really good project for humanity and stuff so I guess those four. Math isn't that interesting to me, but I'll definitely do PG for the challenges. I like the more science or medicine type ones I think. Although a little bit of me is like...hmm I want a big ole signature thing like of the other people so I should do 1 wu from every project just to have a big signature :P

Yeap you are now infected.. Welcome to the collective =)) Thats how it was for me only had a couple projects and very low points for years till this winter when i went all out and purchased new hardware and flew up the rankings. Those video cards make one heck of a dent on points and whats nice is i have the video cards doing the points crunching while the cpu do the projects i have more passion for. Very glad to have you aboard and wish you all the luck talking the hubby into participating.

Crazybob
02-03-12, 02:31 PM
Congrats! It can only go up from here. Tell hubby you will get him a really nice video card for his machine to play video games on as long as it crunch's projects while he's not using it. That might work? Can always put sons lappy on something that uses very little resources. He'll never know.:cool:

spingadus
02-03-12, 03:13 PM
Lol, gratz.

Crazybob's Son
02-03-12, 04:16 PM
You could ask your hubby to borrow the machines for the next couple days for the simap race as well as then add your machines to FreeHAL as it is not cpu intensive and for all purposes is basically free credit since it runs alongside your other projects.

- Jason aka Crazybob's Son (CBS)

zombie67
02-03-12, 04:20 PM
FYI, you can set BOINC to run at only designated times. For example, you could have BOINC run on their machines only between midnight and 6 AM. That way they would never be impacted by it.

You can also set BOINC to go idle any time anyone touches the keyboard. That too would make it so that they would never be impacted by it.

Just throwing out some options....

artemis8
02-03-12, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jason. I didn't know about FreeHAL. I'll check that out. Hopefully this weekend I'll get something running on some more of the machines in our house.

Cruncher Pete
02-03-12, 05:24 PM
Thanks Jason. I didn't know about FreeHAL. I'll check that out. Hopefully this weekend I'll get something running on some more of the machines in our house.

Apart from FreeHAL, Surveill@Home and WUProp@Home are also non intensive projects and can be run alongside others withour interfering too much with their output or with the use of computers for other things. You might be surprised that a quad computer i.e four cores might appear to be running 7 or more cores at the same time.

Cappy
02-03-12, 05:27 PM
grats !!!! and Welcome to the Darkside !!!! [..]

trigggl
02-03-12, 08:00 PM

...and a mega-mile stoner is born. That's how I pretty much started out evidenced by the projects that I have less than 1,000 in.

http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=3a8ef22ebb31c19b2666d00dcad8af99&theme=28&cols=3

denim
02-06-12, 09:42 AM
I have the bug bite bad too. Once every couple of months, I have a fight with myself to not buy more hardware.

trigggl
02-06-12, 12:45 PM
You can also set BOINC to go idle any time anyone touches the keyboard. That too would make it so that they would never be impacted by it.

Just throwing out some options....

Sure wish that worked in Linux (or at least in Gentoo). :-<